Improving the quality of bore water with iron contamination

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Improving the quality of bore water with iron contamination

Postby Klondyke » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm

NAM SANIM (Rusty water)
Everywhere in Thailand, mostly in the North, the ground water from drilled wells contains a high percentage of iron, heavy metals and other alkali. Once it is pumped up, initially very clear, after an hour it starts to turn brown, rusty - like a magic. Most of the Thai villagers solve it by pumping it up with a kind of shower (meant to speed up the oxidation) directing the water onto a tank located in a height. This smaller tank with concrete bottom contains a sand for filtering out the oxidated iron, letting the water out into two tanks beneath.
The sand will be totally plugged by the rust within two weeks, 5 mm of fine rusty layer on the sand surface does not let any drop through, the water will not come out by the 2 bottom outlets, but flow over the edge. If lucky, then sometimes into the tanks underneath.

On an advice of the local water experts I too did it so.

05122714a.jpg
05122714a.jpg (85.21 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

It was wrong, I had kicked out the upper tank with the sand and found another solution.
Klondyke

Re: building our swimmingpool

Postby Klondyke » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 pm

HOW TO GET RID OFF THE RUST IN WATER?

Once the well water contains iron, it needs to get the iron oxidized. The shower - that often is made above the first tank - does not help much, the iron needs a time to oxidizing. The rusty oxide sinks to the ground - in 3 - 4 days. The water above the rusty bottom - higher then some 5 cm - is clearing up and can be taken for further filtering.

0 Clear water.jpg
Pumped out from the earth - the bucket is full of clear water

after 1h.jpg
Coloring after one hour

after 4h.jpg
Rusty after 4 hours
Attachments
After5days.jpg
Settled after 5 days, clear water taken above the rusty sedimentation
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:01 pm

The trick is simple: let the iron to settle down
For that I had built a tank in a height. On a strong construction (to think of few tons of water), walls by cement blocks and bricks reinforced by horizontally led steel wire.
(No problem at recent earthquake - when waves of water went over the edge, also at the pool) :D

SedimentTank.jpg
Sediment tank tower

After rust settlement (3 - 5 days) the clear water is led into the large pressure filter (#1) with sand (possible time-to-time to be backwashed), further to the cascade of 3 tanks (#2, 3, 4), each with a layer of ca. 50cm sand, collecting the water in a storage tank, ca. 5 cbm - enough for 3 - 5 days demand. From this reservoir the water is taken by automatic pressure pump through the last sand filter #5 (backwashing enabled) supplying the house water system and pool demand.

12062502.JPG
Fresh water filled in

1405260065.JPG
After 4 days water clear down to 1 m

1001240004.JPG
The 1st and last filter
Klondyke

Postby fredlk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:54 am

A costly but effective solution. Thanks for the explanation.
fredlk

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:32 am

P1020277.JPG
A few hours after being dug.
So it's the iron in the ground water that's coming through in my recently dug dam, it's 4 mts deep but I was surprised to see all this red stuff seeping out of the ground at the bottom. It's just as well I decided against drilling down for a well but relying on collecting my roof water for water supply, I already knew it was salty going by the village supply. I'am still thinking about putting in a sand filter that can be back washed for the house supply, apart from under the sink filters for drinking and cooking. Have to do a bit more research on that still. Any opinions welcome.?
Mike Judd

Re: Improving the quality of bore water with iron contaminat

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:36 am

Anyway, before the water is lead to any sand filtering, the ironized water has to be given time for sedimentation in a quiet tank. Not only the iron in the ground water makes the problem, also other alkalines as well. When bothered by the iron I had decided to dig a well at the river bank to get the river water penetrated and cleaned thru the sand layers I am seeing there - and bring it over 100 m to the house, thinking it will be better than the pure iron.
Finally, after 2 years intake the sand layers have not cleaned themselves up. The sand is mixed with soil, clay settlements, so the water still comes dirty. After 2 years I am using again the iron water from drilled well (ca. 7m deep) behind the house.
Last edited by Klondyke on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:41 am

Mike Judd wrote:
The attachment P1020277.JPG is no longer available
So it's the iron in the ground water that's coming through in my recently dug dam, it's 4 mts deep but I was surprised to see all this red stuff seeping out of the ground at the bottom. It's just as well I decided against drilling down for a well but relying on collecting my roof water for water supply, I already knew it was salty going by the village supply. I'am still thinking about putting in a sand filter that can be back washed for the house supply, apart from under the sink filters for drinking and cooking. Have to do a bit more research on that still. Any opinions welcome.?
It could easily be but it could just be the clay in the water as in SWMBO's new pool
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:07 am

For speeding up the exidizing in the settlement tank I am adding some 100 gr. of Chlorin that will pulled out all the iron and other metals (manganins).

And subsequently, I am adding some 1 kg of a wonder substance - ALUM - that is ammonia alum sulphate - luckily you get it in Thailand everywhere under name SAAN SOM. These are available either as a large crystal like an ice or milled in a pulver, 50 kg sack for 340 Baht. The villagers knows that, using it for cleaning up their water tanks (full of of rusty water).
The alum is that what our fathers used to still the blood after razor shaving.
And this is what you will use when your pool water get brown/black after addition of chlorin. Or when the water gets green (or milky) because of algy. All the dirt will settle to the bottom within 12 - 24 hours. Then, it can be sucked off.
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 am

My first water after chlorin addition
06010805.JPG

After 5 days and few kgs of Saan Som, the dirt is at the bottom ready to suck it off:
06011403.JPG
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 am

Klondyke wrote:And subsequently, I am adding some 1 kg of a wonder substance - ALUM - that is ammonia alum sulphate - luckily you get it in Thailand everywhere under name SAAN SOM. These are available either as a large crystal like an ice or milled in a pulver, 50 kg sack for 340 Baht.

Is that the name on the sack or is it in Thai? If it's in Thai could you post a picture of the sack or the name in Thai please?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:37 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Klondyke wrote:And subsequently, I am adding some 1 kg of a wonder substance - ALUM - that is ammonia alum sulphate - luckily you get it in Thailand everywhere under name SAAN SOM. These are available either as a large crystal like an ice or milled in a pulver, 50 kg sack for 340 Baht.

Is that the name on the sack or is it in Thai? If it's in Thai could you post a picture of the sack or the name in Thai please?

You read my advice once again - it is printed in capitals :(
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:01 am

RAIN WATER

The rain water caught from the roof during rainy season will improve your water storage. However, not to bring it immediately into the sand filter tanks.
Initially, I too had made such mistake: The fine black dust (even a green jungle around) from the roof will plug the sand very soon.
Instead, I had erect new separate tanks where the rain water is collected and had it settled. Then, few cm above the ground the water is taken out by a pump to the sand gravitation filter (in my case #3).

And besides, the addition of the rain water improves the pH when filling a swimming pool. Usually, the pH in pools going up to the 8 and has to be curtailed to some 7.2. This is quite important when running the pool with higher chlorin contents what I do not prefer (leading to cancer problems).

Otherwise, even a drinking water systems allow quite wide range of pH. e.g. Austrian water authority from 6.5 - 9.5:

Trinkwasser.jpg
Trinkwasser.jpg (9.77 KiB) Viewed 991 times

Water with a higher pH does not eat so much the grouting of ceramic tiles clading. However, after some time a dirty band on walls will appear around water surface. When lowered by pH senker (usually a HCL salt acid), it is easy to clean it off. Or when it had happened directly clean it with a diluted HCL (or Sulphur Acid) - with a careful handling, then also the pH of the pool water will consequently sink.
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:05 am

Klondyke wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:

You read my advice once again - it is printed in capitals :(

I did. Thank you so much for your very kind and helpful reply!
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:22 pm

You read my advice once again - it is printed in capitals :([/quote]
I did. Thank you so much for your very kind and helpful reply![/quote]

Sorry, if you felt offended. I cannot tell you more than I did.
Klondyke

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:33 pm

I guess I will have to wait until Nov on my next visit to see what the roof water looks like in the concrete tank that I built, I know the water in the 2 tanks (2 x 2,000lt) feeding from the garage roof is pretty clean , that roof and the house have the same tiles ( Excella)
Mike Judd

Next

Return to water and plumbing