uPVC Window Sources in Thailand

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: uPVC Window Sources in Thailand

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:21 pm

I’m with Mike on this.

When it came to getting windows I did a lot of research on the web all I found was over priced produces finally ended up with a local window installer who did a good job to my specifications at a reasonable price. He came in measured the openings built the windows. These are all casement window, three years on I’m pleased with his work.

I’m sure he doesn’t have a web site.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pipoz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:41 pm

BKKBILL wrote:I’m with Mike on this.

When it came to getting windows I did a lot of research on the web all I found was over priced produces finally ended up with a local window installer who did a good job to my specifications at a reasonable price. He came in measured the openings built the windows. These are all casement window, three years on I’m pleased with his work.

I’m sure he doesn’t have a web site.

Thanks that finding a local one is proving hard for me

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:33 am

Pipoz,! I thought I gave you the phone no's for my supplier in Khon Kaen, (Maybe in private post that didn't reach you) He was very good but I have no control over his work or reliability for others. No's are 043247607 or 9 for his office or mobile 0416616363 His workshop is in Khon Kaen proper in one of the roads leading out from the centre on the right going out. Get a Thai to ring and get directions . You really have to be on your toes with prices as they come up with some ridiculous amounts for Farangs , but I was happy enough seeing as in Home Pro for a German design window (Made in Thailand) they quoted a very high price at first, then kept ringing my T.G. dropping the price each time, but the local guy was far cheaper and he organised my ceilings and eaves lining as well at a good price. If you have one of those new housing estates around Udon ,that's where you will find all the local contractors, Khon Kaen is a bit bigger and have 3 or 4 going up so I was able to inspect their work before hand.
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks Mike, I will contact him when I am back there

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:02 am

Mike,

Some progress on the Aluminum windows and doors front. I managed to find a Udon Thani based Company called KAYNE, www.kayne.biz. They do Aluminum and UPVC, so I approached them for a quote in Alumnum

There quotation for Aluminium windows and doors with Laminated 3 + 3 glass, works out to approximately TB 5,500 per m2. Still more than yours Mike, but half the cost of the UPVC quotes I received so far

Is anyone familiar with them or has anyone used them before?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't know what the difference would be wanting special glass (LAMINATED) but it obviously would be a lot dearer per mt as most of what you are buying, is glass, and as far as I'am aware ,laminated is 2 layers of glass with a film in-between, still breakable but the film holds all the pieces together. Toughened glass on the other hand is cut to size first and then treated in a factory and cannot be recut, that makes it nearly unbreakable unless the edge is exposed where a sharp blow will drop the lot into a pile of ice like pieces. Trust me! I had to pay for a sliding door once on a job , it's not only Thai's that won't listen, my guy was warned to watch out for the glass door when we were carrying scaffold tubes out from a new office block, he got through O.K. but forgot what was behind him on his shoulder when changing direction, $1,000 that cost me, 30 years ago, I'am reminiscing again.
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:01 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I don't know what the difference would be wanting special glass (LAMINATED) but it obviously would be a lot dearer per mt as most of what you are buying, is glass, and as far as I'am aware ,laminated is 2 layers of glass with a film in-between, still breakable but the film holds all the pieces together. Toughened glass on the other hand is cut to size first and then treated in a factory and cannot be recut, that makes it nearly unbreakable unless the edge is exposed where a sharp blow will drop the lot into a pile of ice like pieces. Trust me! I had to pay for a sliding door once on a job , it's not only Thai's that won't listen, my guy was warned to watch out for the glass door when we were carrying scaffold tubes out from a new office block, he got through O.K. but forgot what was behind him on his shoulder when changing direction, $1,000 that cost me, 30 years ago, I'am reminiscing again.

Re. As far as I'am aware ,laminated is 2 layers of glass with a film in-between, still breakable but the film holds all the pieces together - CORRECT

Re. Toughened glass on the other hand is cut to size first and then treated in a factory and cannot be re-cut, that makes it nearly unbreakable unless the edge is exposed where a sharp blow will drop the lot into a pile of ice like pieces - CORRECT.

I suspect Laminated will be more expensive that Toughened?. If I have to, I can live with a cracked window, but not with a shattered one. The Mosquito's cant get through the crack.

I will install by windows after the all the external render, eave lining soffits and internal ceilings done.

Pipoz
pipoz

Postby pattayapope » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:34 pm

I have toughend glass in my widows and yes more expensive that normal glass but less than laminated, for some reason after the heat treating the glass does not look flat and when you look side on it has a faint ripple, not sure if this is common but on the big expensive picture window in the main bedroom it is quite clear to see the ripples, :roll:
pattayapope

Postby pipoz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:52 pm

pattayapope wrote:I have toughend glass in my widows and yes more expensive that normal glass but less than laminated, for some reason after the heat treating the glass does not look flat and when you look side on it has a faint ripple, not sure if this is common but on the big expensive picture window in the main bedroom it is quite clear to see the ripples, :roll:

Not seeing the size of your window or the thickness of your glass and without seeing what the ripple effect looks like, its hard to tell, the exact cause.

But a ripple effect or uneven reflection - distortion appearance in the glass, can be caused by a difference in pressure from inside to outside. If its hot outside and cooler inside the house and the glass is thin, then you can get a distortion effect.

We get it in double glazed units sometimes, when its 50 Degrees ambient temperature on the face of the outside pane and say 22 Degrees on the face of the inside pane in the building. Then the outside pane of glass distorts and creates an effect similar to a ripple or watery appearance, from some angles of view.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:01 pm

pattayapope wrote:I have toughend glass in my widows and yes more expensive that normal glass but less than laminated, for some reason after the heat treating the glass does not look flat and when you look side on it has a faint ripple, not sure if this is common but on the big expensive picture window in the main bedroom it is quite clear to see the ripples, :roll:

From what I can find out, over here (not in Thailand), Laminated glass appears to cost 38-43 % more than Toughened glass, which I find strange, given that Laminated is simply two panes of Float glass, stuck together with a film, as Mike said

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pattayapope » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:40 am

pipoz wrote:Not seeing the size of your window or the thickness of your glass and without seeing what the ripple effect looks like, its hard to tell, the exact cause.

The big window is 2.2 m by 1.2 m and is 8 mm thick and always looks the same. :roll:
pattayapope

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 am

I don't want to worry anyone who has used Toughened glass , but one of the problems that has occurred with it's use, is on several occasions whole panes of glass have exploded and showered down onto the streets below, never injuring anyone as it's like small bits of ice, but caused enough panic to have the authorities compel the building owners to erect awnings below over any public thorough fare , on investigation it was established that the cause was minute specks of Nickel sulphite that formed in the treatment process which if large enough could explode under the heat of the sun with the right conditions. Once again depending on the size and we are talking about specks smaller than a millimetre, they were either possible/ probable or definitely going to explode in the next 10 years ,after that the glass was O.K. Since then they have solved the problem with future treatments as far as I know , but it was great for my business at the time ,putting up Swing Stages to replace the broken panels.
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:34 pm

This might be useful to some for future budgets.

Recently sought quotations from a number of Companies for a combination of UPVC Doors & Windows: consisting of 2 No Pairs of Casement Style Doors - each pair 1200 x 2200 mm, plus a Main Entrance Door 3000 x 2200 mm comprising four equal door sashes (nominal 750 x 2200 mm each - Folding or Sliding), plus 2 No x External Sliding Door Assemblies each 2000 x 2200 mm and * No Casement Windows 700 mm wide x 1800 mm high - hinged one side. All total up 30.76 m2

The price per m2 for the Supply, Delivery and Installation (excluding VAT) of the UPVC Frames (some in white colour and others in Black or Wood Grain finish), all with 6 mm (3+3) laminated clear glass, was
VIGNET TB 4,875
VEKA TB 5,800
WINDSOR TB 9,490 (White or Black)
EUROPVC TB 9,130 (White) to TB 10,760 (Black or Wood Grain)
HEVTA TB 11,837 (Didn't bother to ask about colour options)

Granted some of their profiles may be better than the other, so have to look at this in the showrooms, but all were priced with the same Laminated glass. One manufacturer/supplier was local to Udon Thani and the other four from, Chiang Mai, BKK & Pattaya. Transport costs were insignificant and the labour cost to install was reasonably consistent across the five prices.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pattayapope » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Good information Pipoz, I used Windsor on my Bungalows, service good and quality OK. Only issue I have is the sliding door handles hit the sliding screens when opening or closeing and I used ordinary tinted glass, don't have the costs details at hand. On the main house a I used a company called WR vinyl I think they have changed their name to Veka now. Again service OK and quailty OK and I used tinted temperd glass. What I have found is if the frames stain they are hard to clean and only thing which removes marks it rubbing compound used for car paintwork. :roll:

All the Upvc is either local made or made in China, if you want to go with imported German shapes it is about 50% more from what I found a few years back.
pattayapope

Postby pipoz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:56 pm

pattayapope wrote:Good information Pipoz, I used Windsor on my Bungalows, service good and quality OK. Only issue I have is the sliding door handles hit the sliding screens when opening or closeing and I used ordinary tinted glass, don't have the costs details at hand. On the main house a I used a company called WR vinyl I think they have changed their name to Veka now. Again service OK and quailty OK and I used tinted temperd glass. What I have found is if the frames stain they are hard to clean and only thing which removes marks it rubbing compound used for car paintwork. :roll: All the Upvc is either local made or made in China, if you want to go with imported German shapes it is about 50% more from what I found a few years back.

VEKA confirmed today that he made a mistake (priced float glass instead of laminated). Waiting on his new price tomorrow?

pipoz
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to windows and doors