AAC Blocks

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: AAC Blocks

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:33 pm

Psychic wrote:There seems to be two views on them sucking up water but I guess if you do everything right they're fine. Are your blocks fine for supporting shelving/cupboards? I've read somewhere that you need special supports.

Let me dispel the fallacy about superblocks sucking up water. My garage was completely submerged in water during the floods for 2 months and within a few days after the waters had subsided the walls were dry. The garage had only been partially rendered too and there was absolutely no damage done whatsoever and when rendered a week later over the unrendered parts, there was no problem at all. It has now been two years and the garage walls look the same with no damage at all.
The interior of my house (6 inches) was also under water for one month and that shows no moisture damage either.
My 7.5 blocks support shelving, air cons, water pumps, plate racks, ......in fact everything with no problem, with no cracks and no crumbling.
You do not need special supports.
Psychic wrote:Someone said there are no stupid questions. I can probably disprove that

It's not a stupid question, there have been numerous posts concerning their use and what they will and won't support. The people that reply in the negative have never used them.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 am

Anyone interested in Q-Con blocks , should look up Hebel ,one of the main manufactures of A.C.C. blocks . Where they have a vast range of products from the normal blocks of all sizes for walls, including load bearing. Plus Lintels for over windows and doors, floor slabs that have steel inside for the various spans and large wall panels that are used as a veneer on timber frame houses. All of which are used for their lightness and insulation/fireproof properties yet still of adequate strength for the purpose intended.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:53 am

Sorry there A.A.C. Blocks
Mike Judd

Postby edvrijmoet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:02 pm

look up all the different products on the Xella site in Europe look for Ytong and Hebel products.
these products are also sold by q-con in Thailand.

http://www.xella.co.uk/index.php#_sub1323

or the Q-con site

http://qcon.co.th/en/products/

Ed
edvrijmoet

Postby Psychic » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I am now convinced to go with AAC for my house. I just needed to know what I was getting into.
Psychic

Postby Psychic » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:48 pm

This is a pretty good site for usage of AAC

http://www.aacstructures.com/specs_pdf/ ... de_Web.pdf
Psychic

Postby MGV12 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:56 pm

I most certainly felt the rumble of that 6+ earthquake in the Chiang Rai area yesterday ... reports suggest so did a few in high-rise properties in Bangkok; apparently the strongest ever recorded with an epicentre in Thailand.

On topic as that is one of many reasons I chose to build with AAC blocks ... their resistance to seismically-induced stress.

In simple terms all those little bubbles contain air and air in flexible.

http://www.aac-nz.co.nz/Kobe_Report.pdf

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Tue May 06, 2014 4:24 pm

ู^

Interesting feel better already. Would think the ACC builds in Kobe are structural as opposed to post and beam that we mostly use here.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:56 pm

BKKBILL wrote:ู^

Interesting feel better already. Would think the ACC builds in Kobe are structural as opposed to post and beam that we mostly use here.

Quite ... and for those who wish to spend some time with uncle Google there are those that suggest that there are incompatibilities; with regard to resisting seismically-induced stress.

However ... half a loaf is better than none :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby cooked » Thu May 08, 2014 6:11 am

I built two houses in Switzerland with Hebel blocks, including the bathrooms, no problems up to now (40 years). One house I rendered with a porous (traditional) plaster, the other one with a non porous plaster. I can't see any difference. Maybe it would be more important to make sure that moisture cannot rise within the wall.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu May 08, 2014 7:37 am

BKKBILL wrote:ู^

Unlikely. I've never seen Japanese build with structural walls. They do a lot of wood frame and steel frame as well a renforced concrete for the big buildings. The AAC I've seen being used is always as an infill. However I've only seen Tokyo building and only for 23 years :roll:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Makmak456 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 pm

My 2 satang worth.......
Built ground floor with the Thai grey "breeze block" cinder blocks for those of us from USA. Finally found a source for AAC block, price for 1K of AAC blocks (stamped Q-Con) with render and thin set mortar was 30K THB.
22.50 THB each per 7.5 cm blocks, needed more thin set mortar, 5 bags @ 200 THB ea today.
Mark
Makmak456

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am

Thats the price i saw a few weeks ago at home pro
Andyfteeze

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar