Measured temperature in Double Walls Houses

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Measured temperature in Double Walls Houses

Postby oil » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Quite a few of you guys did built Double Walls with air space inside, mostly with cement blocks i believe.
Can anybody give me a true Temperature Measurement Difference like
XX C / F outside in the shadow
XX C / F inside the house without Aircon for sure

so just that i get a picture of how much cooler a double wall system house might be
oil

Re: Measured temperature in Double Walls Houses

Postby fredlk » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:39 pm

oil wrote:Quite a few of you guys did built Double Walls with air space inside, mostly with cement blocks i believe.
Can anybody give me a true Temperature Measurement Difference like
XX C / F outside in the shadow

so just that i get a picture of how much cooler a double wall system house might be

The lowest internal temperature without air-conditioning will usually equal the ambient air temperature outside.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:36 pm

oil wrote:XX C / F outside in the shadow

I used double Q-Con blocks. Outside it was 102 in the shade at midday, inside it was 86 on the ground floor and 88 on the second floor. No air conditioner had been running since 6 am.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:34 am

Without going into the scientifically reasons (not my forte) Insulation works both ways as far as I have always understood. It stops the exchange of heat or cold to an adjoining area. It's great and essential for efficient Air-Con. Sealed cavity walls using trapped air is supposed to be more efficient than solid walls of equal thickness. But without Air-Con it's all about using the cooler night air to replace the gradual build up of hot air in the house during the day. Therefore when the house has cooled down through the night it's best to keep the house closed up until later when temperatures are equal . That's when you hope for a breeze of sorts ,natural or fans to get you by until the sun goes down and we repeat the process of house cooling helped by a well ventilated roof.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 am

Mike Judd wrote:Therefore when the house has cooled down through the night it's best to keep the house closed up until later when temperatures are equal .

Mike,
This is what I can never understand: people will run air conditioning all night and cool the air in their house, then open all the doors and windows and let it all out in the morning, then bitch all day that it's as hot inside as outside. Our house is closed all day trapping the cold air inside.... mainly because I'm the only one at home. If the outside temp is cooler than inside, then you open the doors.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16 am

We don’t use or even have air-con although I did wire for it just in case. So far opening windows once the air temp outside is cooler than inside seems to work for us. Visitors always comment on how cool the house is, mind you I don't have a thermometer to compare the actual difference. Doing it this way you can easily keep your house cooler than the days maximum temperatures but of course not cooler than the evening low.

Used double ACC blocks with the air gap and that works but house orientation, shading, and design are also important.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby oil » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Mike Judd wrote:Therefore when the house has cooled down through the night it's best to keep the house closed up until later when temperatures are equal .

Mike,
This is what I can never understand: people will run air conditioning all night and cool the air in their house, then open all the doors and windows and let it all out in the morning, then bitch all day that it's as hot inside as outside. Our house is closed all day trapping the cold air inside.... mainly because I'm the only one at home. If the outside temp is cooler than inside, then you open the doors.

in a normal thai built house, (single brick, single window) its a matter of minutes (max 15) till room temperature is very hot after you turned the AC off, so there is no difference if you open the windows or not, although its not smart to open up over the day time, but most people do that to catch a breeze. So i can partly understand why people do that
oil

Postby fredlk » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:05 pm

oil wrote:in a normal thai built house, (single brick, single window) its a matter of minutes (max 15) till room temperature is very hot after you turned the AC off

That is because the materials on the ground outside and the house walls and the roof have stored all the heat of the sun.
That is why AAC / ACC block is excellent, single or double wall. They don't store heat. And you need a well insulated roof.
fredlk

Postby oil » Mon May 12, 2014 12:50 pm

I asked now a few persons i know privately about the Heat in / outside the House

I know that the guy i asked which is living in a Earthbaghouse uses the normal passive cooling stragies, which he said are for every house important like:

- Paint Walls White
- Roof overhang 1+ meter
- Casement Windows, in all Wind Direction
- Below Roof Above Bondbeam, Upper Area, Screen Openings. Hot Air can go out,
- Thatch Roofing, Hot Air can escape thru there
- Earth Cuppled Floor, (Floor in direct Contact with floor underneath with moisture barries)
- High Ceiling, Space for Hot Air to raise
- Vegetation, Plants to keep the building the Cool,, South West Side!!!
+ Windcatchers
+ Night Cooling

http://www.naturalbuildingblog.com/pass ... -climates/
http://www.naturalbuildingblog.com/addi ... -climates/

anyways back to topic, The person living in a Earthbag House said (with the measurements done above ... he has no AC)
-10 C in the House (i asked that time when we had a constant almost 40 C outside the past weeks)

then i asked another guy in know which built Double Walls with just normal Cement Block stones, yep the cheap ones, where the air space wents to the roof
he also has a cellar a real basement, while his basement is truly open on one side only. and he said:
Outside its 40+ C
Below the covered Terrace its 36 C
In the living Room its 30 C without AC
in the Cellar is a nice and cool 26 C

So ..... overall, the results are pretty much the same, that with passive cooling strategies what all owner did, its inside -10 C
oil

Postby oil » Mon May 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
oil wrote:XX C / F outside in the shadow

I used double Q-Con blocks. Outside it was 102 in the shade at midday, inside it was 86 on the ground floor and 88 on the second floor. No air conditioner had been running since 6 am.

Need to translate that for my overview:

Outside: 38 C
Inside : 30 C
with Double Layer AAC / Yton / Q-Con Blocks

Overall -10 C, i could bet with more passive cooling strategies you ll get it cooler as well
oil

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon May 12, 2014 1:10 pm

oil wrote:Overall -10 C, i could bet with more passive cooling strategies you ll get it cooler as well

Totally correct, I think I can get it down by another 5 degrees at least.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Mon May 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Can never be cooler internally than the minimum temperature of the day / evening unless you apply some assistance like air con at some stage. If you can get the over night temp. to below ambient then you have a chance of keeping the internal low for the day.
Ians

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 13, 2014 7:15 am

I'am sorry if I am repeating myself here, but without Air-Con the design of the house can make a huge difference to whether you suffer more than nesscessary with the heat. If the house is able to cool down overnight, you can keep the house relatively cooler for a while by keeping it shut as mentioned. Also if the house can make use of any breezes that come along,that's another plus. We have certainly had some up here in Khon Kaen at times since I've been here this time. Where as when we go back to the old house in the village each day, which is the normal Thai square house with the wall in the middle separating the 2 areas, it's as hot as Hades. We have to put fans in the doorways to get some air moving through.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 13, 2014 9:19 am

Mike Judd wrote:Also if the house can make use of any breezes that come along,that's another plus.

Mike,
Currently inside my house is 84 degrees, outside is 96 degrees with a very hot humid westerly blowing and it will get hotter as the day wears on. Are you suggesting I open all the doors and windows and bring the inside temperature up to a hot humid 96 degrees?
I know you're not, however, I cannot go by the argument that outside breezes will cool the inside of the house. They won't, they just circulate air.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 pm

We are going around in circles here a bit, I think we are in agreement that what ever the temperature is outside or inside we want to either keep it in if it's cooler in or let it in if it's going to get rid of hot air. Breezes can be either way, but lately up here there has been some lovely cool breezes coming through after a downpour, they always seem to be on one or two corners of the house . Maybe I'am just imagining it in my old age , but to me compared to the heat every where else, it seems cool, so as most of the work is outside at the moment I grab a chair and sit there for a while to enjoy it. I probably need to change the needle in this old gramophone ,but that's the reason I have gone for so many windows and doors on all sides of every room with wide eaves to keep most of the sun out, just to catch those breezes which ever way they come from. How's the post Op going R.R. hasn't affected the old elbow bending I hope. .?
Mike Judd

Next

Return to cooling systems