Building in montrantong (Chiangmai)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building in montrantong (Chiangmai)

Postby zebrafilm » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:55 pm

After our introduction here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4353

We will continue in this thread about what is actually happening, next to our own site: http://house.zebrahosting.nl

We got the papers signed and the land is ours. About one rai, next to the Doi Suthep mountain, edging the national park. Nice and quiet with little rivers around, hardly neighbors and CM not too far away at a dead end street.
We got free water and 3phase electricity is already waiting. Planning wise we will take it easy so be patient with postings here. The first step was to raise the land so it would no longer be a pool in the raining season.
We needed to do this because our neighbor did this before us, basically creating a dam between us and the lower river. Planning is now to sit around the table with architects and builders in November and give our ideas some direction that fits the budget and dreams. We will have a year to work on this and start construction the next winter. Might take 2-3 years to finish.We are not in a hurry.

I'll add some before and after pictures. We had about 100 6 wheel trucks delivering the earth over the small road through the village. Everything went well and was supervised by our construction company, including cleaning roads etc afterwards.
It took about a week including two days of shaping the sides.

IMG_6501.jpg

20140406_093003.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

20140406_093258.jpg

20140406_094403.jpg
zebrafilm

Re: Building in montrantong (Chiangmai)

Postby andymac » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:50 am

Apologies for repeating myself from another post......

Bastiaan,

I look forward to following your build as it looks as though my design preference is similar based on the samples you shared. How's your own house design progressing, any images to post?

I take it this will not be a self build or self managed project effort and a construction company will build and manage on your behalf, is that right?

Our plot of land is in Mae On, east of Chiang Mai city. I've just completed digging out our pond and graded half of the land. Hopefully building construction will follow over the next couple of months.

All the best.
Andy
andymac

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi Andy. I am currently designing the house myself before handing the plan over to an architect. I have done a lot of (re) builds in my life and there are hardly things I could not do myself but there are a few good reasons not to do the basics myself. I am not allowed to work in TH and I have seen issues with self builders being arrested for working in TH. Secondly labour is pretty low priced. Third reason is that my wife has a good job here in Amsterdam and I don't want to leave her months alone. I have not been impressed with the construction quality in general, need to be on a tight budget but want some big spaces. (Latest calculation around 300m2). So probably be more supervising than building but in close cooperation with the construction company. They also have experience where to get the right materials and people in the area. My family did a build where they selected separate companies for different parts of the construction. That could also be an option if we can't get an agreement within the budget with the builder.
All of the.architects and construction companies I talked to, said they had experience with glass/steel build but could never show examples. :-)
Could be good to keep close contact and possibly make better deals if we need more or less the same materials. For example I was already advice to get the glass from outside Thailand.
How is your planning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zebrafilm

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:28 pm

zebrafilm wrote:need to be on a tight budget but want some big spaces. (Latest calculation around 300m2).

What number would that be considering 300M2 is a fairly large house in Thailand?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:37 pm

We probably can put down the foundation and then live in a tent the rest of our lives :-)

4.5 million is the budget for now. Some say the glass/steel build is twice the price of concrete but it will be one floor only, metal roof.
My brother in law is a certified construction engineer, he will recheck all the materials used and see if we can use the right size H bars etc.
Hope we can avoid to pay for unnecessary heavy constructions.
zebrafilm

Postby andymac » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:33 am

zebrafilm wrote:I am currently designing the house myself before handing the plan over to an architect.

Yes i've been doing the same, I now have five separate structures in design development. It's going to be a multi year exercise for sure.

need to be on a tight budget but want some big spaces. (Latest calculation around 300m2).

I think we can all appreciate that, I will be looking to build in phases for that reason, first build will be single story <100m2 and will be a weekend escape place.

So probably be more supervising than building but in close cooperation with the construction company. They also have experience where to get the right materials and people in the area.

That's my thinking also, difficult to do more and not slow down progress when you're not living there full time.

How is your planning?

I've been through many, many design ideas, even before we'd settled on this piece of land - I couldn't stop myself :)
The property is four rai and we're looking at moving ahead with developing only half at this stage - weekend place, store/garage and reception place. Main house will be on the second half of the property facing the majestic mountains, I guess another year down the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]
andymac

Postby zebrafilm » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Our planning is 3-7 years before we move over completely. Please share any knowledge you find on steel / glass building. Did you find an architect / builder yet?
We will talk to Graeme, an Englishman who own his own construction company and has been working in CM for a while. He also did our land fill.
zebrafilm

Postby andymac » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:00 am

zebrafilm wrote:Our planning is 3-7 years before we move over completely. Please share any knowledge you find on steel / glass building. Did you find an architect / builder yet?.

Hi Bastiaan,

I'm hoping my move over timeframe is somewhat sooner than yours, but have to wait and see. At least living in Hong Kong allows for weekend trips.

I've been somewhat distracted from the architectural side for the last few weeks as I work through some of the ground works. My previously well planned phases are now switching around and I'll be looking to build my wood pavilion first, so need to find timber supplies. Happy to share any info I get on steel, glass etc and likewise please.

I've only been in touch with one architect so far, but would welcome more contacts please. I do need an engineer to review my drawings, you mentioned your brother in law is an engineer, available for a consult?

All the best,

Andy
andymac

Postby thaicbr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:44 pm

zebrafilm wrote:Hi Andy. I am currently designing the house myself before handing the plan over to an architect. I have done a lot of (re) builds in my life and there are hardly things I could not do myself but there are a few good reasons not to do the basics myself. I am not allowed to work in TH and I have seen issues with self builders being arrested for working in TH. Secondly labour is pretty low priced. Third reason is that my wife has a good job here in Amsterdam and I don't want to leave her months alone. I have not been impressed with the construction quality in general, need to be on a tight budget but want some big spaces. (Latest calculation around 300m2). So probably be more supervising than building but in close cooperation with the construction company. They also have experience where to get the right materials and people in the area. My family did a build where they selected separate companies for different parts of the construction. That could also be an option if we can't get an agreement within the budget with the builder.
All of the.architects and construction companies I talked to, said they had experience with glass/steel build but could never show examples. :-)
Could be good to keep close contact and possibly make better deals if we need more or less the same materials. For example I was already advice to get the glass from outside Thailand.
How is your planning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

for glass maybe one of these companies..

http://www.tgsg.co.th/index.php?langsel=en

http://www.agc-flatglass.co.th/home.php
thaicbr

Postby zebrafilm » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Great links! Thanks a lot. More on my list for the next visit.
zebrafilm

Postby zebrafilm » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Little update here. of course most of the material is on or blog: http://montharntong.com

This year we went back to CM to checkout the land and how our house plans would fit. We made some basic floorplans and wanted to check how and if they would fit on the land.
So we bought poles and set out the spaces. Connected them with wires and could already 'feel' the size and positions. Even things like cooking islands etc. Very useful discussions and overal good feel after we moved the house a bit more west to avoid electricity poles.
poles_01.jpg

overview.jpg

We also went to talk to architects and a builder for some first ideas. Work in progress. Bit of a struggle to find out what the common way is in TH compared to Europe but we will get there. Of course we got already most plans and ideas together but we want to have a real pro add style to it.

My brother in law made some drone shots for us, in to see the whole surrounding in his overview pictures.
wideshot.jpg

And of course the highlight of the trip: Meeting Andymac on his new plot and see the build and trucks driving in there. :-)
Making friends through CTH.

Overall this years trip felt good. Still love the place and we see more and more little restaurants and nice spots popping up on the road up the mountain.
We are not in a hurry, (which is good with the Euro falling down) and will make a decision about the architect in the next months. Lots of architectural books coming in at the moment.

Bastiaan
zebrafilm

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:08 am

Time to catch up a bit after some rollercoaster rides where we spent almost every holiday to Thailand in hospitals. Hopefully the trip in Jan wil be the last one there....

Architects:
We had some bad experiences of people only want to make their own design or just stopped after a few talks and disappeared. Seems common.
Finally we found some contact via via (hospital) contacts and met a Thai girl working in Singapore in an architect firm who wanted to start her own company.
Turned out she bought a similar piece of land like we did in Chiang Rai and it seemed a good match. She made a design that made us smile. Some of our ingredients and some of her, clearly showing design skills. We agreed to work on our house for a low fee, since it was a risk to work with a starter. THe whole design phase and presentations went all great. Even while we were on different location. The original schedule of a year work became 2 years but this is Thailand and we do Sabai Sabai and all fine.

She also had no technical crew / engineers and that gave us some problems after the design was finished because none of the people we asked to finish the technical calculations wanted to do this. Guess not doing the first design is already too much loosing face. With our almost finished designs we went to the land office to check for issues and they offered to do the drawings but we want special things and it did not feel right. They also asked a premium price. Don't hope they will put us on the bottom of the pile when we file for permits....
Finally my brother in law who is a high ranking engineer for a an Australian building company gave us some of his people to help and we are expecting the final results end of November. They seem very precise and are pushing for safety and double checks. Guess you need to when you design skyscrapers for a living. :-)

So next will be getting some quotes for the new year. We are still not in a hurry, the Euro is going in the right direction, house prices the Netherlands are going up and up, all in our favour. For now time is on our side.

Design-Aug2016.jpg

More picture here: https://montrantong.com/
zebrafilm

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 23.27.40.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 23.26.18.png
zebrafilm

Postby Zoss » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:49 am

Hi Zebrafilm / Bastiaan,

I have just read thru your thread and your intro. I am surprised and delighted to see the 'mood1' photo in your intro - my wife found a youtube video interview of an architect and his 'steel and glass' Khao Yai house, it may have been Prabhakorn Vadanyakul. My search for that architect led me to the same architect firm.

I suspect my budget is less than yours, and that architect firm is out of my league too. But that mood1 design is inspiring, it is pleasing to see different ideas entering Thailand via Thai people. If they are "Thai ideas" they have a chance of sticking.

I am in IT, so probably at the extreme other end of the "imagination index" to you. :oops: My hope is that we will find a talented young architect like you have - I look forward to following your build. :)

Oh, I bought some Dutch licorice recently, a special item at Aldi (here in Australia). I chose the 'sweet' variety over the 'salty', yet the sweet one was very salty! Haha, do you all have blood pressure problems in The Netherlands from your love of salt? :wink:
Zoss

Return to Your Building Story