pool/ dam lining

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby chiyman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:51 pm

After having dug the massive hole in the ground 50m x 30m x 4m deep and investigated the options available I decided to do the job of lining it properly and lined it with concrete 4 inch thick approx. reinforced with steel mesh. Took about 100 cubic meters of concrete. Total cost with steel, concrete, decorative rocks and labour about 250,000 bhat.

Advice I received before going down this route was that lining materials tended to only last for a couple of years before failing. Calcium bentonite was too difficult to source in Thailand and has to be imported making it difficult - I don't fancy trying to import the relatively small quantity of bulk material into Thailand - too much trouble.

a few pictures:-
Attachments
771.JPG
771.JPG (14.79 KiB) Viewed 853 times
776.JPG
776.JPG (16.21 KiB) Viewed 853 times
778.JPG
778.JPG (16.01 KiB) Viewed 853 times
779.JPG
779.JPG (16.11 KiB) Viewed 853 times
794.JPG
794.JPG (16.5 KiB) Viewed 853 times
831.JPG
831.JPG (17.05 KiB) Viewed 853 times
833.JPG
833.JPG (17.3 KiB) Viewed 853 times
User avatar
chiyman
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby schuimpge » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:47 pm

That's a pond.. Love it.. What's your plan with it? Filtration? Exotic fish? Or farming?
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby chiyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 am

schuimpge wrote:That's a pond.. Love it.. What's your plan with it? Filtration? Exotic fish? Or farming?


The pond is really to be used as a reservoir for watering the farm area during the dry season and boosting crop yield. Once all the nasty chemicals come out from the concrete I will farm some fish.

Interesting that I have had a look at building a windmill for pumping water around the place and noted that there are not many of them in Thailand. Research suggests that there is simply not enough wind in Thailand to support a windmill. Also thought about solar power for pumping but given the cost of installing such a system and the relatively low cost of electricity this is not economically viable as well.
User avatar
chiyman
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby schuimpge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:50 am

chiyman wrote:
schuimpge wrote:That's a pond.. Love it.. What's your plan with it? Filtration? Exotic fish? Or farming?


The pond is really to be used as a reservoir for watering the farm area during the dry season and boosting crop yield. Once all the nasty chemicals come out from the concrete I will farm some fish.

Interesting that I have had a look at building a windmill for pumping water around the place and noted that there are not many of them in Thailand. Research suggests that there is simply not enough wind in Thailand to support a windmill. Also thought about solar power for pumping but given the cost of installing such a system and the relatively low cost of electricity this is not economically viable as well.


Windmills nowadays, plenty of wind. You should not go with a traditional rotor and tail but instead get one of the fixed vertical generator where the rotor is turning around the mast. They are specifically designed for low wind speeds and would start turning at less than 5km speeds.

Solar, disagree. Get a 24v setup, a 24v deep well pump and just keep it running. No batteries, and you got a huge reservoir to buffer if the sun is not shining.
No batteries, no maintenance, just a pump, a single post with 2 panels and a controller.
Would cost you 30k.
(bit of a normal deep well pump costs you 20k. THB)

In the long run, you'll be saving a lot on electricity charges. Such setup is the most straight forward and easiest there is and the ROI would almost be in months..not years!
Last edited by schuimpge on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby schuimpge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:52 am

Did you seal the concrete? Waterproofed it?
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby chiyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:56 pm

schuimpge wrote:
chiyman wrote:
schuimpge wrote:That's a pond.. Love it.. What's your plan with it? Filtration? Exotic fish? Or farming?


The pond is really to be used as a reservoir for watering the farm area during the dry season and boosting crop yield. Once all the nasty chemicals come out from the concrete I will farm some fish.

Interesting that I have had a look at building a windmill for pumping water around the place and noted that there are not many of them in Thailand. Research suggests that there is simply not enough wind in Thailand to support a windmill. Also thought about solar power for pumping but given the cost of installing such a system and the relatively low cost of electricity this is not economically viable as well.


Windmills nowadays, plenty of wind. You should not go with a traditional rotor and tail but instead get one of the fixed vertical generator where the rotor is turning around the mast. They are specifically designed for low wind speeds and would start turning at less than 5km speeds.

Solar, disagree. Get a 24v setup, a 24v deep well pump and just keep it running. No batteries, and you got a huge reservoir to buffer if the sun is not shining.
No batteries, no maintenance, just a pump, a single post with 2 panels and a controller.
Would cost you 30k.
(bit of a normal deep well pump costs you 20k. THB)

In the long run, you'll be saving a lot on electricity charges. Such setup is the most straight forward nd easiest there is and the ROI would almost be in months..not years!


Very interested in your comments on wind and solar power schuimpge. If you have any further information, which I can follow up on, such as suppliers for windmills and also the solar powerd pumping system it would be most useful. The stuff I was looking at for solar was costing about THB 200,000!!! you can buy a lot of electricity for that!
User avatar
chiyman
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby chiyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:02 pm

schuimpge wrote:Did you seal the concrete? Waterproofed it?


Yes an additive was included in the mixes received from the readymix supplier and also that mixed by hand at site. One of the main challenges is the cracking in the concrete which was anticipated and indeed has occurred. This is in the process of being sorted by grinding out any cracks which appear and filling them with tar. hopefully that will do the trick.

The idea is to use the pool for about 5 years and then to fully drain it for cleaning and inspection/repair.

Perhaps I should open a new thread for this project? and include more commentary and pictures - any thoughts?
User avatar
chiyman
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby schuimpge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Separate thread would be great. More pictures always good.
I am a fish / pond / aquarium fanatic, and there's some more on the forum.
Using tar? Is that not going to affect your water-quality? I'd say cut out a small line along a crack. Then cut some cross sections at 20 cm interval. Drill an hole at the end of each cross section and stick a U-shape piece of rebar in with the two ends in the holes you drilled. Like stitches to close a wound.
Then fill with cement again,
Keeps the crack from widening and it's properly sealed.
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby schuimpge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Are you keeping the concrete wet? Just to help it cure properly.? I guess so, just checking.
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby chiyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 pm

schuimpge wrote:Are you keeping the concrete wet? Just to help it cure properly.? I guess so, just checking.


Yup concrete was kept damp for the first 4-5 days of curing. Empty cement bags sprinkled with water - the Thai way.

Any recommendations for suppliers of solar and wind powered pumping equipment would be much appreciated?
User avatar
chiyman
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby schuimpge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 pm

chiyman wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Are you keeping the concrete wet? Just to help it cure properly.? I guess so, just checking.


Yup concrete was kept damp for the first 4-5 days of curing. Empty cement bags sprinkled with water - the Thai way.

Any recommendations for suppliers of solar and wind powered pumping equipment would be much appreciated?


http://www.sunlabob.com/about-us.html

http://adventure1.com/solar.htm

And http://www.abotrading.co.th/ which I recently purchased the solar heater. Excellent service and response on questions by a guy named Alessandro. Good English and clear answers.

Looks like 36 or 48 volt is the norm.
For solar panels, combine 3 12v panels to get 36v. Lower voltage panels are normally cheaper than higher ones.
Shop around, I saw Chinese ones, 280w for less than 5000 baht per piece in Zeer Rangsit shopping mall.
They where a one off party they bought somewhere, but are excellent for a pump system.

The pump itself is the expensive part but still ok between 18 - 25k.

There is another Dutch guy, Sjeng, on the forum, check his thread on solar energy. He built a 1.5kW system for 150,000 by himself and is looking at an ROI of only 5 years.

I have just installed my first 12v system powering my shower. Combined with a solar heater, I'm eleminating 2 Electric drains in the house... Pump and water heater. (those direct demand heaters draw about 250 THB per month. Pump around 500 THB)
By using a water tower and gravity for downstairs and a 12v pump for upstairs, combined with a battery and a 120w panel I don't have those cost anymore.
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby chiyman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 pm

schuimpge wrote:
chiyman wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Are you keeping the concrete wet? Just to help it cure properly.? I guess so, just checking.


Yup concrete was kept damp for the first 4-5 days of curing. Empty cement bags sprinkled with water - the Thai way.

Any recommendations for suppliers of solar and wind powered pumping equipment would be much appreciated?


http://www.sunlabob.com/about-us.html

http://adventure1.com/solar.htm

And http://www.abotrading.co.th/ which I recently purchased the solar heater. Excellent service and response on questions by a guy named Alessandro. Good English and clear answers.

Looks like 36 or 48 volt is the norm.
For solar panels, combine 3 12v panels to get 36v. Lower voltage panels are normally cheaper than higher ones.
Shop around, I saw Chinese ones, 280w for less than 5000 baht per piece in Zeer Rangsit shopping mall.
They where a one off party they bought somewhere, but are excellent for a pump system.

The pump itself is the expensive part but still ok between 18 - 25k.

There is another Dutch guy, Sjeng, on the forum, check his thread on solar energy. He built a 1.5kW system for 150,000 by himself and is looking at an ROI of only 5 years.

I have just installed my first 12v system powering my shower. Combined with a solar heater, I'm eleminating 2 Electric drains in the house... Pump and water heater. (those direct demand heaters draw about 250 THB per month. Pump around 500 THB)
By using a water tower and gravity for downstairs and a 12v pump for upstairs, combined with a battery and a 120w panel I don't have those cost anymore.


Thanks very much schuimpge for the information and insight into your own project(s). I will investigate further. Regards Chiyman
User avatar
chiyman
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby schuimpge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:38 pm

More than welcome. The idea is that buying off the shelf solutions is still a complete ripoff.
Many on this forum where up in arms when Sjeng said he'd build a feed-in system for 150k.
He does not have a legal system, but he build it perfectly and it's saving him loads of money.
With a bit of reading and learning, a pump system is a piece of cake giving you real bang for the buck.

Will look forward to updated and questions for hout project.

Cheers
Luc
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby SOC » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Anyone tried sodium bentonite to seal a dam or any dam sealing polymers and if so where in Thailand can you buy it please.
SOC
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:11 pm

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby jazzman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Bentonite is used a lot by Thai farmers in Isan. You would need to find out what it is called in Thai, and then ask at farmers' markets - the kind of places that sell bulk livestock feed and fertilisers, etc.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman
 
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: Thailand

Previous

Return to swimming pool

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest