Tinted glass vs film vs drapes

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Tinted glass vs film vs drapes

Postby Baht Man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 am

Coming to the window install phase and would like some input and thoughts.

Std. windows from my builder are powder coated alum. frame 5mil green glass, thicker frames.

I have a LOT of sliders and fixed glass (about 8m wide x 3m high) that will catch the early morning sun.
"Pics are posted on building thread " Let the headaches begin"

I asked the builder "Why did you put that dark film on your truck?" Ans. "To keep the heat out"

I then asked the builder "is the green glass good'? Oh sure; the common reply from most sellers/builders/Thai's.
I know green glass does little to reflect UV rays and about the same for brown glass. (Pls. correct me if I'm wrong)

My question: Well.... What should I use.

Should I add film to clear glass (possible pricy), stick with the green or brown glass or try to find and install insulated drapes?

Any thoughts or idea's please.

Thanks in advance.
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Re: Tinted glass vs film vs drapes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 am

Baht Man wrote:My question: Well.... What should I use.

I used blue tint that is better at reflecting heat than green or brown, but it was still nowhere good enough, which is the reason we installed blinds and also sunshades over the windows outside. The heat radiated through a window is massive and if you have large sliding doors like I have you can feel the heat radiating through it. The blinds helped, so did the sunshades over the windows, but the only way to fix the problem is by installing double glazed doors and windows with a gas between the two. I actually explored that avenue, but you need to have a high rise building before any company will look at you here.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks

Sure, and up here in Udon, forget double glazed period.
And if you loose a seal on double glass, with or without gas inside, your up a creek, so to speak.

I'm looking at car tint here 3M and Lamina at 150 B /sq. ft. and Hi cool at 90.
Both stop 99% of UV and 55-70% of heat transmission. Not a dark tint either.

I've got four windows in the front at 60 sf. per unit, and will cost between 5400 and 9000 each.
Not out of reach and if they can cut 60-70 of heat and 99% of UV it may be worth it.

Still edumicating my self.

Anyone else have any input??
Baht Man

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:57 am

In the UK because of working constant nights I installed "blackout blinds" Basically roller blinds with foil adhered to them on the window side . Initially on my bedroom window I soon followed suit on the rest of the house it was strartling the amount of heat they kept out backed up by "curtains/drapes it was very noticible on the few hot days we get over there occasionally a cheap Charlie test would be cover one window with aluminium foil and take a temperature reading you will get ambient temperature from air but the greenhouse effect can be obliterated completely being a roller blind (eventually) you can ajust the amount of light you want into the room I suspect that you will have to add the foil here as I have not come across them yet You could google Paul Simonds curtain supermarket for a look at them they used to have a website a few years back who knows now>>>
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sirineou » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 am

geordie wrote:In the UK because of working constant nights I installed "blackout blinds" Basically roller blinds with foil adhered to them on the window side . Initially on my bedroom window I soon followed suit on the rest of the house it was strartling the amount of heat they kept out backed up by "curtains/drapes it was very noticible on the few hot days we get over there occasionally a cheap Charlie test would be cover one window with aluminium foil and take a temperature reading you will get ambient temperature from air but the greenhouse effect can be obliterated completely being a roller blind (eventually) you can ajust the amount of light you want into the room I suspect that you will have to add the foil here as I have not come across them yet You could google Paul Simonds curtain supermarket for a look at them they used to have a website a few years back who knows now>>>

Aluminum foil to cover the windows. Now that's a great idea, it would not only reduce the temperature in the house, but eliminate those pesky late night alien communications.
I would no longer have to wear my aluminum foil night cap to bed :mrgreen:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Baht Man » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:20 am

[quote="geordie"]In the UK because of working constant nights I installed "blackout blinds"
We had room darkening drapes in the US for the same purpose. Just a different fabric added, no foil.

[i]You can adjust the amount of light you want into the room.
Would this be done by using different thicknesses of foil ?? :?
[/i] quote]

Nice to get your input again.
Baht Man

Postby geordie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Hmmm opening the blinds slightly was the method I chose never thought of using thinner foil :?
You could try the plastic film used for the underside of the roof as a test hang a piece over a window and take a temperature with without the foil before you start glueing it to roller blinds it definitely works well it would probably work as good if you added a layer of material over it so not visible
Spain has the best solution I have encountered with a roller shutter over the window the box (mechanism) is built above the window so you can lower it from inside with a multitude of slots to allow in some light
Originally metal nowadays pvc the served a dual purpose screening the sun out and security I am pretty sure the modern variety (pvc) will not serve the security purpose as well or last as long
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Baht Man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:51 pm

geordie wrote:Hmmm opening the blinds slightly was the method I chose never thought of using thinner foil :?
You could try the plastic film used for the underside of the roof as a test hang a piece over a window and take a temperature with without the foil before you start glueing it to roller blinds it definitely works well it would probably work as good if you added a layer of material over it so not visible.

I'm not going to use roller blinds or any other type of exterior obstruction. Kinda goes against the "un-obstructed view" I'm after.
The builder suggests I need nothing but his std. green glass.

As they're not made yet, any film (if used) would be best applied prior to installation.

The problem is that his windows are "standard" and any mods (film etc.) are, understandibly, at my expense albiet not substantial.
I'm fairly certain that he would balk at giving me any credit if I decided to get them made myself.

I'll be off to Windsor soon as a potential customer asking their opinion as well.

Thanks
Baht Man

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Just so you know there are at least three green glass tints available. We used the middle tint which works well for us.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:02 am

Please note that the film used on cars will need replacement once in a while. In our Land Rover every 3-5 years. According to the guys in the shops pretty standard periods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zebrafilm

Postby fredlk » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:29 am

zebrafilm wrote:Please note that the film used on cars will need replacement once in a while. In our Land Rover every 3-5 years. According to the guys in the shops pretty standard periods.

I think that might depend on the quality fitted. My (almost 7 year old) Mazda's tinting film is still perfect.
fredlk

Postby Baht Man » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:15 am

fredlk wrote:
zebrafilm wrote:Please note that the film used on cars will need replacement once in a while. In our Land Rover every 3-5 years. According to the guys in the shops pretty standard periods.

I think that might depend on the quality fitted. My (almost 7 year old) Mazda's tinting film is still perfect.

Agreed, the car shop that did mine said 10 year guarantee, the film not the install.
The up and down of the car windows put a lot of wear on the film, being installed on the inside.
Not so on house windows.
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:17 am

BKKBILL wrote:Just so you know there are at least three green glass tints available. We used the middle tint which works well for us.

Very nice to know that.Thanks so much for sharing.

Now that's what it's all about here. :)
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:29 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Just so you know there are at least three green glass tints available. We used the middle tint which works well for us.

And may I ask where you got your glass?
Is the difference in the three the thickness or tint or what??
Thanks
Baht Man

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Had my windows made at a local window fabricator in our village in Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai. To my understanding the tint is in the glass and not thickness. We got the price they came over measured all opening went back to his shop and made them to those sizes. Most of my windows are casement not sliders. I’m pleased with the results.

He also made our double sliding patio door, told him I didn’t want the track that it slides on in the floor so he put the slide in a track above the door.

We passed up a few other fabricators because when talking to them we didn’t get the feeling they would work well with what we wanted. This guy bent over backwards to please. I did recommend him to other friends who were also pleased with the results.

If you're careful and have good communications with the Thai trades I think chances for a good outcome will be better. At least it was for us. I did spend a lot of time going over exactly what was required and my expectations feel it was time well spent.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Next

Return to windows and doors