Help! They Used Regular Tile Cement (The Idiots..)

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Help! They Used Regular Tile Cement (The Idiots..)

Postby Greenside » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Having discussed the materials to be used for sticking and (thanks to the below thread) the grouting, I thought I'd better check this afternoon only to find they are using the same Light Blue Crocodile Thinset tile adhesive as for the bathroom walls. It clearly says for interior use on the bag, too. Of course I can make them take it all down but has anyone used this successfully? They did quite a lot of work using it. I know Weber makes some products for pools but are there others I could insist on?

They have epoxy grout on hand for the grouting so what will happen if I let them just change for the rest of the area?
Attachments
20131127_172756.jpg
Greenside

Re: Help! They Used Regular Tile Cement (The Idiots..)

Postby sjeng » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:04 pm

I used the same brand only the red one. mixed 50-50 with the common cement.
now after 2 years still no problems at all. (no loose or broken tiles, no leaks).
For grouting the pool I used again the same brand (crocodile) small 1 kg bags available at global house or home pro. Have to read the description on the bags (for pool use) its anti algae and anti spot. also no problems after 2 years of use.
sjeng

Postby jazzman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:07 pm

For pool tile adhesive I would always use Weber.tai.gres (in the yellow/orange bag). Prices range from 320 to 380 a 20 Kg bag. Stocked in the larger stores such as Homepro, HomeMarkt, Home Hub, and Thai Watsadu. For grout I would use specially made for pools Crocodile Platinum - very expensive but much cheaper than the Weber equivalent grout and available again in the same stores.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby canopy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:50 am

I would have them redo it.

I used the same brand only the red one.

Croc red is for outdoor use.
canopy

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:33 pm

For my pool I had used common ceramic wall tiles bonded with common cement mortar with addition of waterglass (liquid glass - sodium silicate), available at every construction shop - nam yaa for cement mixing. No deterioration visible after 8 years.
Klondyke

Return to swimming pool