Building with steel versus concrete

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Building with steel versus concrete

Postby fredlk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:24 pm

geordie wrote: my hated laptop with windows 8

Why don't you just chuck it out and buy a real computer?
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:11 pm

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote: my hated laptop with windows 8

Why don't you just chuck it out and buy a real computer?

He's one of those people trying to save a dollar and feeling smart about it...
but loosing thousands of dollars in lost productivity because it doesn't work..
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:14 pm

geordie wrote:Mgv12 maybe you shoul translate for me
He( the clent has a high ceiling void ### was to differentiate from Mike who has not , only i forgot ))) One of those
I actually added sme breathing spaces for a change so do not see the problem and my hated laptop with windows 8 has spellchech so the spelling has improved although it does miss some errors.

I love the spellchech on windows 8... :lol: :lol:
Is that spell-chech male or female?
schuimpge

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:25 pm

geordie wrote:Mgv12 maybe you shoul translate for me
He( the clent has a high ceiling void ### was to differentiate from Mike who has not , only i forgot ))) One of those
I actually added sme breathing spaces for a change so do not see the problem and my hated laptop with windows 8 has spellchech so the spelling has improved although it does miss some errors.

Think you have to turn Windows 8 spellcheck on for it to work.

Here is the video

How to turn spell check ON and OFF for Windows® 8 apps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AraYiSxPrBk
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:46 pm

schuimpge wrote:
I love the spellchech on windows 8... :lol: :lol:
Is that spell-chech male or female?

All those Chechs can't spell but the male to female ratio is about 50-50. :mrgreen:

Chech
Chech (Bulgarian: Чеч) or Chechko (Bulgarian: Чечко) is a geographical and historical region of the Balkan peninsula in southeastern Europe in modern-day Bulgaria and Greece. It consists of about 60 settlements and was traditionally mostly Pomak, with an Orthodox Bulgarian minority.

So much for steel and concrete. :wink:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:05 pm

Its good to see you lot are as bored as me ? ?
My last reply was done on a Samsung pad and I know less about that than I do other computers, hence the totally inept spelling. Short of deleting everything and starting again ? I have not found out how you can correct stuff on it.
So even when I read over it and spot mistakes they tend to be left as in not right but aware of it :lol:

Fred looked closely I attempted some punctuation !!!!
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:03 am

Hey guys, you're getting off topic.

Found some threads about the colorbond metal roofing, seems interesting. The designed I showed has only a single metal roof but my wife found out he is running some water over it to cool it on hot days. We get free water (from the mountain stream) so that could be an option.
The other points: PU foam has a bad name here because of the gas used. It seems environmental and human unfriendly and should be avoided in living area's. ANy thoughts on that?
What about condensation against metal roofs? We will be building mostly in the shade of trees, so when you get a cooler roof in the evening/night, I would expect a roof dripping condensation on the inside unless some measure is taken.
THe foil under it will certainly help but it will not look pretty and would need another ceiling to cover it. Even if you put 10 mm glasswool under it you still need to vent it very well to avoid humidity issues, I guess.

Importing glass. mmm seems recipe for disaster. Are there really no good options for glass in TH? I have been importing some stuff for our Land Rover and it was no fun at customs....
With all the big offices and shopping malls around I would expect some local products.
This kind of building is probably closer to more industrial building.

Bastiaan
zebrafilm

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am

As far as humidity/condensation is concerned , and if it could be a big enough problem to worry about, I will have to leave that to our scientific members. I only know that here in Oz (Sydney) which has some very hot days but also cold nights at times, there are more Colourbond roofs going up on houses now than the traditional tiles, that's apart from all the factories and commercial buildings. Over the many years I've been involved with building of every description, I have seen one or two steel roofs being sprayed under after laying , but mostly the insulated foil directly under the sheets is the method. With my own roof (200m.m. total thickness) I have been up there on a particularly hot day (Cleaning it as it's fairly flat ) and it would burn your feet off it's that hot being dark blue as well. Yet below in the bedrooms there is no noticable heat being transferred through. My theory from experience over the years if you have a roof space ,is that it's all the hot air rising over the day that gets trapped there unless you have provided some means of escape, especially in the evening when the cooler night air kicks in outside .
The first house I built for myself 50yrs ago, it was a brick veneer on a timber frame with insulated batts in the walls/ceilings plus foil under the tiles, now my house was miles cooler in the day compared to my neighbours Fibro cement sheeted house, but in the evening his cooled off quickly ,where as mine stayed fairly hot. I got up into the roof space one day and could see why, the build up of heat was unbelievable, it was like having an electric blanket over the living areas . The solution was obvious , I put some big opening vents in the gables each end , left them open in the summer and closed them in the winter. (Not needed in Thailand)
In concluding this what some would say "Long winded" explanation , with out Air-con , it's all about hot air will always rise if allowed, to be replaced by cooler air.
P.S. Geordie, Get a Mac.! If you spell a word wrong it either corrects automatically or a red line comes under so you double click and hold on it ,press control and all the alternatives come up under. Probably the new P.C.s do as well, I don't know ,I just love my I-Mac.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:32 am

zebrafilm wrote:Found some threads about the colorbond metal roofing, seems interesting. The designed I showed has only a single metal roof but my wife found out he is running some water over it to cool it on hot days. We get free water (from the mountain stream) so that could be an option.
The other points: PU foam has a bad name here because of the gas used. It seems environmental and human unfriendly and should be avoided in living area's. ANy thoughts on that?
What about condensation against metal roofs? We will be building mostly in the shade of trees, so when you get a cooler roof in the evening/night, I would expect a roof dripping condensation on the inside unless some measure is taken.
THe foil under it will certainly help but it will not look pretty and would need another ceiling to cover it. Even if you put 10 mm glasswool under it you still need to vent it very well to avoid humidity issues, I guess.

If you start here there are photos and many comments: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=660
If you go back some pages you'll find all the questions and answers about the difference between PE and PU foam, the different thicknesses available, what Colorbond use and recommend if it comes from the factory and the reasons why. I have absolutely no condensation under my roof. I also have 1 metre gap between the ceiling and the roof that is vented at all four sides of the house.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:21 am

De-Gassing of PU foam is a known problem indeed.
The trouble they had in western countries with that is mainly when foaming floors.
If you'd use it under a roof and have your roof vented, you'd never have any trouble with that.

Moist will never be a problem, with steel or colorbond roof, all parts that could form condensate are covered in PU, so there's no dripping or leaking possible,

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:29 pm

It's clear that a metal roof would be a good option and details will be talked about in the appropriate section.
If you look at this picture:
house3.png

You see he did not do any isolation. It looks nice but it is a concern. All ventilation will have to be done through the house instead of through an isolated layer/ceiling.
Here in Hollland I have cut 5 meters out of my roof and put up a bug greenhouse window system (aluminium base structure) that opens in the summer. Here we have regular dripping from 'cold bridges' as we call it.

THis weekend I am going to make some basic drawings and size calculations. May be possible to get a ball park figure for building costs. Thanks so far.

Bastiaan
zebrafilm

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs