Build Cost Only, advise required

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Build Cost Only, advise required

Postby fredlk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Dublin wrote:is it possible to contact people on the site i.e. private message or the like.

I'll ask dozer via the feedback form to put you in touch with each other. It might take a few days so be patient.
fredlk

Postby Dublin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:07 am

Thanks Fredlk
Dublin

Postby kknaj » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi Dublin,

There are several designs very similar to mine but are 2 bedroom designs from the same thai house design books I've mentioned previously.

I recommend getting professional plans made (around 7000-10000 baht) because the price is minimal compared to the rest of the house and gives you the chance to put everything in the right places such as doors, electrical outlets, light fittings etc.

I understand most builders in fr out areas will want to charge for labor only as they don't have much capital to buy the materials. If you or a a trusted family member is not available to buy the materials like I did then I recommend you keep looking (perhaps in nearby bigger towns/cities)

When you buy the materials yourself you can ensure the quality is as you want it. We paid around 1.1 mil baht for everything including materials and labor and have a total of 135m2 including outside dinning and carport. For labor only the cost was around 300,000 baht for the 135m2. I'd say most builders will "try it on" by quoting higher than normal.

What I suggest is find a good builder by reputation as well as seeing their past work and then negotiating with them. Telling them the price you will pay. Since good builders are probably more scarce in your area you may need to pay up to 300,000 for a smaller 2 bedroom house in your area for the labor.

Hope that give you some ideas on how to proceed.
kknaj

Postby Dublin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi KKnaj

Thanks for the information and as for all the other information I have received it been invaluable, I’m heading home in 12 days and have planned to visit a number builders providers, my partner has already been around checking out prices and seeing who is offering the best deals.

She has also arranged to meet a few builders and see if we can hammer out the best price, we have decided to go with labor only and my partner and her uncle who is a builder also will look after the purchasing of materials of course the whole family have there idea’s and want to get involved but I have limited it to two uncles who I know well and trust there construction experience .

Well that's it till I get some prices, ill be sure to post them here and hopefully you can guys can advise if we are getting some good deals

till then

Regards
Ciaron
Dublin

Postby Lenthai » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi all, I am new on this forum and need some help. I live now in Pattaya, together with a Thai wife. She comes from Bueng Sam Phan 80 km south of Phetchabun. We just bought there a piece of land where we would like to build a small 42 square meter holiday house. Only for vacations, and when I get fed up here in the highseason with all these russian tourists. I am looking for a construction guy, or small company in the Bueng Sam Phan area. Any of your guys can help me please? :lol:
Lenthai

Postby TIKKY » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi , I would like to build a house in Udon thani . One story house , house area : 115 sqm2 , 3 bed rooms, 2 bathrooms,1 living room and 1 kitchen ( no car port). link to http://www.tmmhome.com/index.php?lay=sh ... 82&Ntype=9

I phoned few building companies ,they estimated build cost to complete a job about 2.5 million thb. ( 2 companies) and another one estimated about 3.5 million thb. but if I buy a house plan and pay for labour( but buying materials by myself) will cost about 1.5-1.8 mil thb. total cost), However I read it on TMMhome web board which they estimated build cost between 1.3-1.4 mil thb. This make me confuse a lot.

Can anyone give me an advice, please? and how much to build this house?

Many thanks. Tikky
TIKKY

Postby jesimps » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:46 am

Hi. I propose building a two storey house in Najomtien, between Pattaya and Sattahip. Ground floor is just columns (height 2.4 metres), concrete floor and stairs and will be used for undercover parking BBQ etc. Will maybe block some of it in at a future date.
First floor is living accommodation and has a floor area of 152 square metres, same as downstairs.

I've had a quote of 870,000 thb for labour only up to and including the fitting of the roof and outside stairs to 1st floor. This price also includes the making and fitting of aluminium windows which are the only materials included in the quote.
Price doesn't include installing floor/wall tiles, bathroom/kitchen fittings, perimeter walls, paths and drives etc.

Works out to about 5,500 thb square metre labour based a on floor area of 152 square metres which sounds expensive for a one storey house, but I think reasonable for a house on stilts.

Grateful your comments.
jesimps

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 am

That's a pretty good price for a 152sqmt floor area up in the air. I spent B800,000 for the same floor area on the ground, although it was U shaped so involved a bit more than a simple square house. That was for the house to lock up stage complete ,painted and only needs the Kitchen and Bathroom stuff which will be expensive as I want European standards. Also remembering I have been building for 60yrs and just employed labour to be supervised by me. That's the key as all members I am sure will agree, you must be there on site for all important stages, don't rely on the builder or who ever he leaves on site, that can be fatal, trust me.! Good luck.
Mike Judd

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:27 pm

I have a question about the sqmt floor area, when you want to ask your builder a quote for your house bht/Sqm, does the calculation include area's like: balcony/open area's with only wall on 1 side for example, carparking (under roof house), open outside kitchen Etc....., or is there a seperate calculation for spaces like this?
Thx
Rudi
Rudi

Postby pattayapope » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Rudi wrote: or is there a seperate calculation for spaces like this?

Rudi a good rule of thumb is to measure the m2 and devide by 2 should give you a good estimate.
pattayapope

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 pm

pattayapope wrote:
Rudi wrote: or is there a seperate calculation for spaces like this?

Rudi a good rule of thumb is to measure the m2 and devide by 2 should give you a good estimate.

Thx pattayapope, now I've at least an idea.
Rudi

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs