Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Most of the weight will be in the center of the house.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:42 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Geordie,! As a matter of interest, have you any knowledge or experience as far as Raft Slab foundations are concerned which I believe used to be the way to go when building on marshy ground in some countries.

Mike only seen it done one time and it was documented on the forum some time back try a search under waffle pad , raft foundations I seem to recall also an Australian ?? doing a lot of heckling drove the guy off which was a shame he did know his stuff I Have to a degree tried to mimic it with the build I am currently involved on at Ram Intra not trusting the word of the Burmese predecessor about the depth of the piles I doubled literally the ground beam height 300-600 and added extra rebar the ground floor slab is tied with rebar to the beams having back filled first and compacted the dirt/concrete
The good news is that the predecessor did little to disturb the ground which was covered with almost 300 thick reinforced concrete he merely dug out for piles/pads and the beams were cast on top of existing concrete which has been used as a haulage / builders yard for a good few years the upstairs beams were by design 600depth on long spans so the rebar work was mimicked all through as was the 600 height it may not stop it sinking but it should stay intact if it moves it should do so as a cube :lol: :lol: :lol:
Try the following link if it works
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1747&hilit=waffle+pad
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Alan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:01 am

After reviewing some of the product specifications, I found lots of mistakes myself. Here are the most recent calculations.

Roofing Tile: Magma 33cm x 42cm. Weight 4.30kg. 11/m2
Standard Tile: 11 x 9m2 = 99pcs x 4.30 = 425.70kg.
Round Hip End: 20.6cm x 35cm, 3.10kg, 1/Hip End, 3.10kg x 1 = 3.10kg
Round Ridge: 20.8cm x 34cm, 3.10kg, 3.3/m
(Hip Beam: 3.46m x 3.3 = 11.42pcs) ♂12pcs x 3.10kg = 37.20kg
Two-way Ridge: 24.5cm x 32.8cm, 2.70kg, 3.3/m, None
Three-way Ridge: size?, 1/Hip, 4.0kg: None
Magma Top (vent) 33.4cm x 42cm, 5.20kg: None
Reflective or Bat Insulation/SprayFoam™: Undecided?
Eave Filter (bird): 6m/box, 0.8kg: 6m x 0.8kg = 0.8kg
Soffit Shera Eaves™ 6 inch: 1.6cm x 15cm x 3.0m, 10.92kg: 6m / 3m = 2 x 10.92kg = 21.84kg
Soffit Shera Eaves™ 8 inch: 1.6cm x 20cm x 3.0m, 14.55kg: 6m / 3m = 2 x 14.55kg = 29.10kg
Purlins: 25.67m / 4m = 6.42 x 1.80kg = 11.56kg
Flashing: ?
Screws: ?
Sealants: ?
Rain Gutters: ?
Running Total: 529.30kg

Some information is not yet available. Some decisions to make as to type of application. This obviously does not include minuscule weight of things like Electrical wiring, Ventilation ducts, ect. As I continue to go through this process, hopefully I can provide more accurate weights.
Alan

Postby Alan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:59 am

Second level of weights on footing "A"
Attachments
Bottom of roofing.jpg
Alan

Postby Alan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:00 am

Need some advise on the last post involving Shera or Conwood products for the exterior soffits. Does anyone have pros or cons on these products? Is one or the other more suitable?

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

Wall and Floor weight on Footing "A"
Attachments
Wall-Floor_Calc.jpg
Block Walls, Floor Plank and Concrete Top Coat
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:07 am

There are many companies that are making the newer lightweight concrete block it is hard to decide which one to use. Superblock, Dcon, Q-Con and Smartblock to name a few. I believe they are produced using the same autoclave process and are very close in comparison of other properties. Price might be the biggest difference. Does anyone have a particular brand that they prefer for one reason or another?
Alan

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:44 am

I used Q-Con myself as they are licenced by Hebel the German company and have good support booklets regarding tools to use , the correct way to lay the blocks and Reps in most areas who came to my build to demonstrate for my workers. As I said on another post , what I saw of Thaicon blocks I wasn't impressed with the quality but It may have been a bad batch. The main thing to be aware of is the pricing , it can be all over the place depending where you go and availability. Be prepared to order and pay for one size and get a different size delivered, crazy but there you are. T.I.T.
Mike Judd

Postby Alan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:24 am

Thanks, Mike. Although I'm sure their prices are a bit higher, I am leaning toward Q-Con as their customer service is rated very high. I have read other posts where the representative came to the site and trained the crew on installation. Quite impressive for a Thai Company. My build is rather close to a Q-Con reseller vs. some of the other brands.

Also, a couple of corrections on the last post. New calculations show the total weight is now 1,728kg for walls and flooring. Wall columns will be included in the next calculation.
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:14 am

Assuming my calculations support the appropriate materials for the "A" column, the final weight ends up being 5.55 tons. Of course these columns are supporting the lowest weights of all columns, it is well within the rated support for the piles I plan to use.

Roofing Tile Calculation: 529.30kg
Purlin Calculation: 11.55kg
Roofing Steel, Soffit/Ceiling Calculation: 132.31kg
Column, Walls and Flooring Calculation: 1728kg
Foundation Beams, Columns and Pad Calculation: 3160.34kg
Total “A” Column Weight: 5561.5kg / 1000 = 5.5615 Tons
Attachments
Columns and Beams.jpg
Alan

Building in Bang Khla

Postby Alan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 am

Well it has been a while since my last post. I did finish my pile weight calculations (see attachment). I'm sure its not perfect but gives me a better idea of the weight distribution.

I am looking for prices on the different parts of a gypsum ceiling suspension. I found USG's website but can never get a quote back from them. I'm sure there is a Thai product out there somewhere. Does anyone have information on ceiling suspension & current prices?
Attachments
Pile_Weight.png
Pile Weight Calculations
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:12 am

I am predicting a vacation in Thailand this year around December - January. The problem is several questions on how to proceed. One issue is after calculating the expense of piles, is fill appropriate considering the expected time of construction. The wife wants to fill vs. using piles. I believe the cost is similar but comes with very different system emplacement. With an elevated foundation, the plumbing/electrical systems are easily accessible under the house. A one meter elevation allows for easy maintenance or expansion of this system. Does anyone have any advice on Pile vx. fill Elevation ? More to come.
Alan
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:08 am

Alan wrote:Does anyone have any advice on Pile vx. fill Elevation ? More to come.

No matter how much fill you put down, it can never substitute for piles.... unless of course you intend doing a flaoting (raft) slab.
The driven piles support 12 - 15 tons so your plan looks fine as it is.
If your area floods then I'd have the house up on stilts.
Whatever the outcome you're still going to need footings and what better way to start off footings than with piles.
Alan wrote:I found USG's website but can never get a quote back from them. I'm sure there is a Thai product out there somewhere. Does anyone have information on ceiling suspension & current prices?

In regards to this question my whole house 450 sq mtrs odd was done for 37,000 so I wouldn't worry too much..... however, my bored piles (51) cost well over 650,000.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks for your response RR. I've been out for a while waiting for more information to appear. It is quite a push process vs. a pull for just about any information or expertise in the local area. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I plan to spend xmas and the new year in Thailand and do a little more research. It is becoming a quite a pain to convince the closer family members, that seem to have such an influence on everything, that piles are necessary. I am really struggling to hold my ground with a crowd that has virtually no construction knowledge. I plan to visit and talk to the local "Or Bor Tor" and see what they recommend.

As far as piles, the last time I inquired (two or three years ago), they gave me the following estimates: 185,00THB for 22cm x 22cm x 20m piles and 51,333 for labor. For the smaller piles, 180,00 for 18cm x 18cm x 20m piles and 57,200 for labor. I'm not sure why the labor was cheaper for the larger piles but that is what they wrote on the estimate.

After reading your post I'm wondering if they underbid the project.

Good news! I will have city water by the end of the year which is a relief. Outside of all the runaround, getting an address established, working with the utility company, purchasing a water meter, ect., it will be great to have somewhat treated water vs. pond water.

There are several other issues that need to be solved prior to starting the build. I will post as I get more information.

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Jack&Amy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:00 am

Hi Alan, I have land not to far away from Bang Khla.....I too am having trouble obtaining costs for piles and piling....Roger Ramjet suggested asking at the local Or Bor Tor, I will do this on my next visit in October ....

I did task the wife with getting some costs about 1 year ago.....I think she just Googled in Thai and called a few numbers....There is a place not far from you,Phanok Sarakham, that make the piles but they dont have the rig to bang them in with....nor could they help with a contact who did have the rig....or maybe wifey just didnt ask?

Anyway, moving on , 22cm x 22cm were quoted at 230Baht ish ( might have been 260 Baht , fading memory ) per linear metre which seemed cheap to me ( I'm told I need piles 8 metres long in my area ) ....I am thinking approx 1000Baht to bang in each one would be somewhere near , plus maybe transportation costs to get the rig on site...If these figures are indeed correct, your quotation appears high to me....

I will be following your progress..
Jack&Amy

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story