Cost to build house walls

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Cost to build house walls

Postby Marmitethedog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:30 pm

I am building a place on the family land in stages, so get quotes for each step.

We have just hired a guy to put the roof on and at 150k are very happy with the price.

We then asked him to quote to build the external and internal walls using the cheap grey cement blocks. I worked out the area of the walls (I didn't remove the door/window area as it's just a rough calculation) and came up with a figure of 205 sqm.

The blocks should come in at under 12,500B.
The cement at under 15,000B (using super rough calculations based on the SiL's recent build). Then there is a bit of steel to tie the blocks to the posts, so somewhere in the region of 30 to 35k for materials (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

The quote for the blockwork was 200k - a bit excessive if you ask me as I reckon it should be around 80k to 100k. I've attached a plan with dimensions. Wall are 3m high except in the 'al fresco' area where they will be around 1.5m high for the East & South external walls (the West facing 'wall' will be a gate).

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Attachments
Small House Plans.png
Marmitethedog

Re: Cost to build house walls

Postby vanda » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:53 am

Will you be using lintels for windows and doorways? Something to consider in for material cost. Are your internal walls going to be concrete blocks as well? Insulation? Are you wanting to hide plumbing and electrics in the wall cavity? You can always purchase materials yourself so u know the real cost, for labor the day rate will average from 300b to 400b per person per day usually. Depending on how much detail is going into building the walls obviously will determine how long to construct, times that by labor costs and you'll have a rough guesstimate. Shop around though, check out their previous works and compare.
vanda

Postby vanda » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:06 am

Just to add to that post, my partner had some guys do brickwork, many ppl can do it but only some do it well. They built walls with a 15 degree lean on it and also didn't install any form of lintel over the doorways. After installing door frame and doors they then butchered the doors to make them fit because of the weight of brick and mortar on the door frame. The genius also asked where she purchased the frame and doors, and because they were purchased at different shops he told my partner thats why it didn't fit right... Always makes me laugh at the excuses they use.
vanda

Postby Marmitethedog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:40 am

Yes, poured lintels for all openings and block internal walls.

We've got feelers out on a couple of other crews in the village, so it'll be interesting to see what they quote.
Marmitethedog

Postby DavidJm » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Did you get a price per M2 in the end?
DavidJm

Postby Marmitethedog » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi David,

The missus has got a bunch of figures and it looks like we'll do it in stages over a few months, i.e. buy materials, get blocks done, buy more materials, get rendering done, etc.

It'll not happen for a few months though as the missus has her eye on a new car...
Marmitethedog

Postby Makmak456 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:14 pm

have you been to the tractor showroom yet ? :)
Makmak456

Postby Marmitethedog » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:01 am

Makmak456 wrote:have you been to the tractor showroom yet ? :)

Luckily, the outlaws exchanged their buffalo for a tractor before I was around to buy it for them.
Marmitethedog

Postby Anot » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:17 pm

You mentioned you could get the roof done for 150k. I am about to ask for offers for a roof of similar size myself and 150k sounds good to me. Could you give some specifics about your roof? What materials, which design and such?
Anot

Postby Marmitethedog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 am

Anot wrote:You mentioned you could get the roof done for 150k. I am about to ask for offers for a roof of similar size myself and 150k sounds good to me. Could you give some specifics about your roof? What materials, which design and such?

Sure.

It's a steel frame with a steel roof with insulation bonded to the underside of the steel. It actually cost 160k in the end. I did have to get them to add extra bracing to the roof steels as 'triangulation' hasn't reached our part of Thailand yet.

I hope this helps a little.
Marmitethedog

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 am

I don't know if this is of any use, but my roof on the house by Smart Truss cost Baht 180,000 supply and fix ,all galv steel in trusses at 1mt centres , a big U shape as you can see in my blog with 2 gable ends for ventilation. They send you a print out with their quote from your submitted measurements. That was for a tile roof but a Iron roof would be lighter I would think.
Mike Judd

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am

Mike, I have seen some of the products smart truss provides. I have 2 or 3 rooms in my build that currently are planned for a 4 meter grid but I would prefer to span 8 meters and will need a truss design to accomplish this. Cost is definitely a consideration. I do not want a steel roof but rather a clay or concrete tile (roman). Do you have any advice or information on this. Also, could you provide the site url for submitting a quote? I am building a house in Bang Khla in a few years.

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Smart Truss are a subsidiary of Bluescope Lysaght(Thailand) Limited. E-Mail smartruss-th@bluescopesteel.com ( that dash after smartruss should be at the bottom, but I can't seem to find it on my I-Pad)
There head office is in Bangkok obviously but I dealt through Home Mart in Khon Kaen who handle all sorts of roofing mainly and they arranged the quote etc; I have no idea where you are living but one of the Home stores might have all the brochures on their products. I'am not pushing their Tiles but the best on the market are Excella if you want a non fade roofing tile.
Mike Judd

Postby Cheeryble » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Alan wrote:Mike, I have seen some of the products smart truss provides. I have 2 or 3 rooms in my build that currently are planned for a 4 meter grid but I would prefer to span 8 meters and will need a truss design to accomplish this. Cost is definitely a consideration. I do not want a steel roof but rather a clay or concrete tile (roman). Do you have any advice or information on this. Also, could you provide the site url for submitting a quote? I am building a house in Bang Khla in a few years.

Alan

Hi Alan
Just to mention the obvious.....concrete tiles are very heavy, accentuated for a large span.
This means the roof structure must be heavy to match.
The other point is that unlike say a metal roof you will need a good slope for tiling to stay waterproof in wind.
This means MORE roof structure and more weight.
Cheeryble

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Smart Truss are a subsidiary of Bluescope Lysaght(Thailand) Limited. E-Mail smartruss-th@bluescopesteel.com ( that dash after smartruss should be at the bottom, but I can't seem to find it on my I-Pad)
There head office is in Bangkok obviously but I dealt through Home Mart in Khon Kaen who handle all sorts of roofing mainly and they arranged the quote etc; I have no idea where you are living but one of the Home stores might have all the brochures on their products. I'am not pushing their Tiles but the best on the market are Excella if you want a non fade roofing tile.

Just a FYI Bluescope Lysaght(Thailand) Limited has a factory very near you at Ban Hat on road no. 2 about 20 km south of your turn off. And the email corrected is smartruss_th@bluescopesteel.com
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to material prices & building costs