no main drain ?

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

no main drain ?

Postby smeestu » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:05 pm

After have a good read online I'm leaning towards maybe doing the pool with no main drain has anyone built a pool like this seems theres some good points about not really needing one . My thoughts were from a safety point of view seems like a good idea and also if you can keep all pipework in the walls then the would be "accessible" if there were any leaks .It would seem putting the returns on eyeball sockets and directing them downwards slightly would increase the circulation when filtering the pool .
Living in issan if i needed to empty it i would just get a couple of the petrol driven pumps they use on the rice fiefs which i think would empty it much quicker and probably cheaper as well .
one of the articles i read was in this magazine .http://www.kenilworth.com/publications/ ... index.html

Seems to make a reasonable case for not putting one in

any thought ?
smeestu

Re: no main drain ?

Postby sjeng » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:15 pm

I have the same opinion about a main drain. what is not in cant break down.
When have to empty the pool just take a external pump and the job is done. Have to keep in mind that you do that in the dry season, because when the groundwater level is to high your pool might start floating.
I build my pool for 2 years (DIY) 1.6 m ,10 x 5 m no main drain. The only reason for emptying the pool in my opinion is for doing some repairs on the tiling.
The water doe not need to be changed, its easy to keep it in good condition with chemicals.
One tip from my experience, keep the piping as short as possible and take a pump with at least 1,5 hp and the outlet for the vacuum cleaner should be at least 20 cm down from the water surface.
any questions feel free to ask or pm.
sjeng

Postby smeestu » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks for the info do you have any photos of your pool build what thickness of walls /floors steel steel/ steel spacings I'm just about to get the hole dug out so should be starting in the next few weeks
smeestu

Postby smeestu » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 pm

smeestu wrote:Thanks for the info do you have any photos of your pool build what thickness of walls /floors steel steel/ steel spacings I'm just about to get the hole dug out so should be starting in the next few weeks

im bad didn't search well enough found your build on here :-)
smeestu

Postby sjeng » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:35 pm

smeestu wrote:
smeestu wrote:Thanks for the info do you have any photos of your pool build what thickness of walls /floors steel steel/ steel spacings I'm just about to get the hole dug out so should be starting in the next few weeks

im bad didn't search well enough found your build on here :-)

no problem, if any questions just ask, or PM
Its easy to do as a DIY project with some regular workman. I took 3 or 4 from the village with less experience.
digging the hole by hand. did not want a backhoe to ruin my garden.

so feel free to contact.

succes with your build.
sjeng

Postby jazzman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Designing a pool without a maindrain is poor practice. The maindrain is not only for emptying the pool but it provides the important function of flowing floor level dirt and sediment to the filter. Installed properly, there is very little than can go wrong with a maindrain. Choose a proprietary brand made of genuine ABS plastic and that comes with nylon or stainless steel cover screws.
The cost does not impact on the overall build cost of a pool.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool