Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Time

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Tim

Postby jack9 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Both the house design and build quality is first class

Always looking forward to new photo updates :P
jack9

Postby jack9 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Greenside wrote:
...and the tiling has been started in the bedrooms.

The lower bedroom wall below the window frame is thicker than the upper wall. What is the reason?
jack9

Postby schuimpge » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Was wondering about the thicker wall as well in the bedroom.
But if that is going to be where the bed is placed, then it makes perfect sense have a 'shelf' to put alarm-clock, phone, small stuff.
Then again, placing your bed under a window is not the best idea for a good sleep.
schuimpge

Postby Greenside » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:20 pm

A feature of the exterior design is the revealed brickwork which is on our current house next door and was intended to be in harmony with the nearby ancient wat. In some areas on the north and east faces of the building, these bricks are simply rendered on the inside so we can't chase in interior electrical boxes without risk of damaging the outside handmade bricks. The bed in this room sits very happily between the two windows but when it came to first fit we realised that putting in the light and fan switches either side was a bit risky so we made a double skin cavity wall to 1m and gave it double duty as a shelf that my 12 year old will fill with clutter in about ten minutes.

As far as where the bed goes, there are windows on three of the aspects and the fourth will have a built in wardrobe :D

Incidentally, the concrete columns will be dressed with "show bricks" - you can see where I mean in the picture above. The room in question is on the far right of the picture.
Greenside

Postby gojothebear » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

I just joined coolthaihouse because we're planning on installing a pool at our home in Chiang Mai this cold season and are in the process of getting quotes and figuring out how. We are planning to install a 8 by 7 meter pool at a depth of 1.4 m with 2 meter square kids area. I am intrigued by the idea of DIY, but don't know a thing about plumbing. We were out at Baanpong Lodge the other week (great out of town getaway) and the owner had installed that pool himself at 1/2 the cost of the pool company quotes. Still, it is a bit out of our skill level to do stuff like the plumbing and filters on our own. What we'd really like is to find a local contractor to help us do it at a lower cost than the big pool companies. We have a quote for 550,000 THB for chlorine (another 40-60K for saline I think). Anyway, is your pool contractor going to be available at all this cold season? If so- could you email me at camacongo@gmail.com I can't PM you because I'm new to the site. Thanks for any help you can offer.
gojothebear

Postby gliffaes » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:09 pm

gojothebear wrote:I just joined coolthaihouse because we're planning on installing a pool at our home in Chiang Mai this cold season and are in the process of getting quotes and figuring out how. We are planning to install a 8 by 7 meter pool at a depth of 1.4 m with 2 meter square kids area. I am intrigued by the idea of DIY, but don't know a thing about plumbing. We were out at Baanpong Lodge the other week (great out of town getaway) and the owner had installed that pool himself at 1/2 the cost of the pool company quotes. Still, it is a bit out of our skill level to do stuff like the plumbing and filters on our own. What we'd really like is to find a local contractor to help us do it at a lower cost than the big pool companies. We have a quote for 550,000 THB for chlorine (another 40-60K for saline I think). Anyway, is your pool contractor going to be available at all this cold season? If so- could you email me at camacongo@gmail.com I can't PM you because I'm new to the site. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Who quoted you 550k for an 8x7 pool?
gliffaes

Postby Greenside » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 pm

I don't really feel I'm in a position to recommend our pool guy until the installation is up and running. The actual pool was constructed by our main contractor for the house but the plumbing and system is his responsibility so I wouldn't even know where his full service charge would fall in the scheme of things. Right now, we know the pool holds water and that they made a mistake casting the spa which has to be corrected before we can move onto tiling. I flirted with the idea of a solar pump but in the end upgraded our original spec to a two speed Astral unit which promises to save money although of course it's more expensive to start with. I also changed the filter material from sand to Zelbrite which seems like a good move.

Meanwhile, the general construction is moving ahead. Problems with tiles have been the most recent challenge - the tile sub-con laid the wrong ones in the kitchen which we decided to accept as they looked OK but needed a few more boxes to finish off. Despite being grade A and from the same supplier, they turned out to be 2 - 4mm smaller than the ones on the floor so of course the guy put them all down instead of telling anyone, leaving us with a take them all up/take half up and try to find some the right size/who's going to pay for this cock-up scenario. Why, oh why do these people act that way??? We'd even showed him the floor in our current house so that he'd be clear as to what would be acceptable. Crazy and wasteful :( .

The front steps are now being constructed and the steel supports for the pergola that will make the front of the house and deck private were installed today. They sit in an 85cm wall with lighted niches and once the greenery has matured it should look great. There is moulding around the gate pillars where the render transitions into brickwork.

Off to the Tessaban tomorrow to get a new house number and tabien ban which will allow us to apply for a separate meter for the electricity.
Greenside

Postby Ians » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Greenside wrote:Image

A feature of the exterior design is the revealed brickwork which is on our current house next door and was intended to be in harmony with the nearby ancient wat. In some areas on the north and east faces of the building, these bricks are simply rendered on the inside so we can't chase in interior electrical boxes without risk of damaging the outside handmade bricks. The bed in this room sits very happily between the two windows but when it came to first fit we realised that putting in the light and fan switches either side was a bit risky so we made a double skin cavity wall to 1m and gave it double duty as a shelf that my 12 year old will fill with clutter in about ten minutes.

As far as where the bed goes, there are windows on three of the aspects and the fourth will have a built in wardrobe :D

Incidentally, the concrete columns will be dressed with "show bricks" - you can see where I mean in the picture above. The room in question is on the far right of the picture.

Can't see why you didn't use a cavity wall inside instead of just the single skin, wouldn't have made any difference to the outside, and would give better insulated as well as being more appealing on the eye..
Ians

Ongoing Works

Postby Greenside » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:50 pm

We did use a cavity wall where we wanted to hide columns and to improve insulation but some areas didn't merit it and it kept the cost down. Also, double skin walls all round impacts the room size too. I know it's a big house but I am on a very tight budget and, like many here, trying to get as much as possible out of it.

The pergola steelwork as seen from the pool deck. The braces across the corners are temporary, to be replaced with something a little smaller and more decorative.

From the living room to the kitchen (where the tile situation still needs to be resolved).

From the kitchen to the dining/living room. Part of the ceiling has been primed today. The hole in the tiles is going to be a wooden threshold and to it's right will be a breakfast bar with a cabinet over to divide the kitchen from the dining room.

After a certain amount of waiting around we finally got a new house book (tabien baan) and a number to go with it. When we lay the power cables to the road we'll be able to apply for a new 3 phase meter so both the studio and main house will have their own.
Greenside

Power From The Road

Postby Greenside » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:46 pm

So the idiot in the macro dug up a conduit carrying the future cable TV line from my current house about 120m to the road. It's good quality RG6 and the break is about 20m from the road where we expect to have service at some time in the next year or two.

Your experience appreciated as to....

What is the best way to fix the broken cable before sealing the conduit and laying it to rest again.
Will a fix of any kind stand the test of time (I'm thinking that corrosion due to moisture could become a problem)

On a related matter, someone from the same crew who hired the blind macro driver decided it was too difficult to pull the cable bundle (a different set to the new house) and without thinking "Let's use that bigger size conduit over there" decided to cut two phone lines, the gate controller and intercom plus two RG6 cables about half way into a 130m run and plans to install a junction box. As far as I'm concerned every connection is a potential loss in quality and future maintenance liability but of course they say I'm worrying about nothing. Am I?
Greenside

Postby pattayapope » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:53 am

Never a good thing to join coax but if you have to get the people to use crimped type connectors and use a couple of sections of heat srink sleeving about six inches long so you get a good weather seal on the outer sheath.
pattayapope

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:27 am

pattayapope wrote:Never a good thing to join coax but if you have to get the people to use crimped type connectors and use a couple of sections of heat srink sleeving about six inches long so you get a good weather seal on the outer sheath.

Here is what wikiHow has to say.

http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Coaxial-Cable-Connectors

Keeping moisture out is the thing.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Greenside » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 pm

They repaired the broken cable today using crimped bnc fittings and mended the conduit with 3M Amalgamating Tape. Fingers crossed.
Greenside

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Make sure you have the location well noted.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Time For An Update

Postby Greenside » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Never say "We'll decide on that nearer the time". All of those stalling tactics come back to bite you just when you are busiest and of course they hunt in packs so during the last month there seems to have been about 50 decisions a day, half of which should have been made ages ago when I was originally asked the question :( .

They have removed all the pool tiles and adhesive that was wrongly applied and tomorrow will paint on another coat of waterproofing compound before starting to re-do the tiling. The contractor (rightly) agreed to pay for all the wasted tiles and chose not to try to reclaim any which looked like it was going to take too long.

The pool looking very sorry for itself.

The pool cleared and the deck 80% completed. They are painting the facia boards and eaves at the moment, hence the bamboo on the roof.

The spa is slowly taking shape. The original formwork was wrong and so we've had to amend the dimensions but I think it's going to work out.

A day later and some progress. We are trying to find someone who can do decent terrazzo work to do the interior. The exterior will be sandwash, probably in two colours.
Greenside

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story