Gov't house design #12 - What be be a good estimated price

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Gov't house design #12 - What be be a good estimated price

Postby JAF » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Guys

I am looking to build Thai house plan #12 on my land in Ranong Province sometime this year. When I consulted with the builder he initially said it would cost in the region of 2.4 million baht but now he has proposed a bill of 3.2 million baht (850,000 bht of that is for labour). When I asked him why it was so much more expensive than he originally suggested he said that it was because of grade A materials, multiple entrances with steps and that he would be purchasing all the materials.

I am quite skeptical of this price increase and was hoping that someone could tell me what would be a modest price to aim for.

Cheers

JAF
Attachments
House Model.jpg
JAF

Re: Gov't house design #12 - What be be a good estimated pri

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 am

For what it might help you. A house like that in a project development would go for 5 to 6 million.
Don't think it's a bad price if he really uses premium materials, which you could specify in the contract and go with him when purchasing.
Also, is it a turnkey build including showers, kitchen, fittings?
Good luck,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby pattayapope » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 am

If it is just the house I would say too expensive but if it includes the perimeter walls drive ect it may be OK, if you calculate the m2 area of floor space and calculate the remaining area covered by the roof overhang (and devide this by two) you can then calculate the cost per m2. Even a western quality build can be built for 10 to 12,000 baht per m2 with a resonable profit for the builder.
pattayapope

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:52 am

pattayapope wrote:If it is just the house I would say too expensive but if it includes the perimeter walls drive ect it may be OK, if you calculate the m2 area of floor space and calculate the remaining area covered by the roof overhang (and devide this by two) you can then calculate the cost per m2. Even a western quality build can be built for 10 to 12,000 baht per m2 with a resonable profit for the builder.

Would the 2nd floor not add considerable cost to the base 12,000 baht?
Luc
schuimpge

Postby JAF » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi guys

I decided to get an estimate for government house plan no 8 and received a full break down of costs which come to just over 1,913,000 bht. This is the house shown below.

http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plan ... e/no08.jpg

The builder who would buy everything locally and estimates the house to be 118 sq wah would cost 1,383,000 bht with an additional 530,000 for labour which I think is very very expensive.

I realise that if I buy the material myself I will save money and will definitely consider doing this but can someone please give me a rough idea of what I should expect to pay for this rather small single storey house

Cheers

JAF
JAF

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Material is hard to calculate as it totally depends on what you use...
Clarify the materials before signing..type of conrete...type of cement....

Labor rough:
90 days x 6 guys x 500 bath/day = 270000bath

You need to instruct and look that they work.
Don't underestimate this task! It is hard to find good staff and guys who really care.
Everything they spoil will set you back and cost you more.

But then again, if you make a "contract" with a total and things go wrong the builder just runs if the budged is finished.

If the builder has a good history and some positive builds to show...I would intend to go this route and pay the extra...but ensure that work progress and payments match (in case you get a runner).
Maseratimartin

Postby JAF » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:Material is hard to calculate as it totally depends on what you use...
Clarify the materials before signing..type of conrete...type of cement....

Labor rough:
90 days x 6 guys x 500 bath/day = 270000bath

You need to instruct and look that they work.
Don't underestimate this task! It is hard to find good staff and guys who really care.
Everything they spoil will set you back and cost you more.

But then again, if you make a "contract" with a total and things go wrong the builder just runs if the budged is finished.

If the builder has a good history and some positive builds to show...I would intend to go this route and pay the extra...but ensure that work progress and payments match (in case you get a runner).

The builders are good people and I have no fear of them running off as I teach their children and have done for several years. But at the same time, they do have the impression that I am rich (which I am not) and they also employ a lot of burmese workers with a thai guy who is the foreman. So when you estimate the cost of labour at 270,000 bht it seems that they will make quite a hefty profit when they are asking just over 500,000 bht.

JAF
JAF

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Yes ....that is the impression of many Thais...that all farangs are rich.

So, you have a trustworthy team but they want too much from your cake...

You also seem to have some kind of a relationship to them through their kids ...being the kids teacher...

I would try to get the price down and accept a surplus. Use some numbers I mentioned and listen to what they have to say...
This is then not only about the build and where to save some bath...it is a social thing.
If you reject them it shifts you in a bad position.
That makes it not easier to get local people as day labor.

Keep also in mind that you do not need to supply any tools if you take a builder!
With day labor you will end up buying tools and some things disapear ...and you will buy again...

If I learned one thing, it is that, it is better to pay more for some good guys for a good job than loose money on guys you have trouble with setting your hands on.

Be sure if you at one point see that you need help of a builder it will then cost you more than in first place.
Maseratimartin

Return to material prices & building costs