exterior door advice needed

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

exterior door advice needed

Postby windjammer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:25 pm

I am sick and tired of having to trim my exterior wooden doors everytime in the rainy season. I am going to buy 2 new doors now and was wondering what I should look for.
I just want a door that does not expand in high humidity and then shrinks again in the dry season.
windjammer

Re: exterior door advice needed

Postby fredlk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 am

I have 2 outside doors of what I was told is Teak, painted with 3 coats of paint and even with a lot of rain and sun on them they don't seem to expand or contract in the slightest. I also have a set of doors made from Marine-Ply (and painted) and they too seem to be holding up very well.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:13 am

windjammer,
windjammer wrote:I am sick and tired of having to trim my exterior wooden doors everytime in the rainy season. I am going to buy 2 new doors now and was wondering what I should look for.

To be honest I'm biased, which is why I waited for someone else to write first. I had two large wooden doors and surrounds and all they did was leak, expand, and contract the whole time. I sold mine and got sliding glass doors which slide easily, look nice and don't leak.
Roger Ramjet

Postby windjammer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 pm

fredlk wrote:I have 2 outside doors of what I was told is Teak, painted with 3 coats of paint and even with a lot of rain and sun on them they don't seem to expand or contract in the slightest. I also have a set of doors made from Marine-Ply (and painted) and they too seem to be holding up very well.

so i guess teak or another hardwood is the way to go
windjammer

Postby pattayapope » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Make sure they paint the top and bottom to seal the wood.[*]
pattayapope

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:26 pm

As others have noted, I think your doors are not sealed. You might want to try and seal them before the rain starts this year.
Makmak456

Postby windjammer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:39 am

The doors have been sealed. i guess the wood is not of high quality. I don't know the name of the wood.
windjammer

Postby william » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:53 am

As you said you are facing this issue so I suggest you not buy any wood door try another like an aluminium door but that are not strong. I also have wood door but I did not face any issue since 4 Years. Try to replace with quality wood door.

<Please contact admin to verify your membership - mod>
william

Return to windows and doors