Paint reccomendations and cost.

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Paint reccomendations and cost.

Postby falangsabai » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:46 pm

We will be providing the paint to our contractor for our house, for the rendered cement interior and exterior surfaces and drywall. I've checked in a lot of stores and there seems to be a wide variety of brands and a lot of different prices.We would prefer acrylic/latex. Can you recommend from experience a good quality brand that is not overpriced. Recommendations for both primer and finish coat would be appreciated. Please give an idea of cost for 5l cans.
falangsabai

Re: Paint reccomendations and cost.

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:35 pm

A good quality Acrylic paint is the way to go, stick to the expensive ones Dulux etc; the others are a waste of time unless you don't mind doing it all over again next year. The cost will be what ever your local Big store (Global, Home Pro, Home Mart or what ever) charge. There's not much difference in price between under-coat or sealer and top coat so unless there is, just thin the first coat which is mainly to seal the cement before the finish colour.
Don't use oil based paint on walls or where it will get a lot of sun as it gives you a lot of work when ever you are re-painting through having to re-move cracked paint. Acrylic paint just needs brushing after years of wear, hose down and re-paint. Wood trim in -side, like skirtings and architraves that have to take knocks are better in Oil based and enamel paints.
Mike Judd

Postby Rick B » Wed May 02, 2012 12:39 pm

I used Dulux Weathershield for the exterior primer at THB 2,100 per 5 US gallon can and Dulux Interior primer at THB 1,650 per 5 US gallon can. For the finished coats, both exterior and interior I used JBP, a brand that is not often spoken about, but a brand that I found to be very good quality and so far long lasting. Each 5 US gallon can was also THB 2,100. We put three coats of finish color paint on top of the primer coat. It's been four years since we painted and both exterior and interior still look great. Where there's a little dirt on the surface, it easily washes off with soap and water. All of our paint for the renedered walls was water-based acrylic. Prices may have increased a little over the four-year span since I bought in 2008. But I don't think they've increased much. I've given prices for the large 5 US gallon cans, even though you asked for 5 liter cans. But I think you really meant 5 gallons.

Also note, to get a good finish that lasts a long time you MUST watch how much water the contractor adds to the paint. Like their concrete, the Thais like their acrylic paint very watery and that simply dilutes the paint so that you loose the full effect of each coat of paint.
Rick B

Postby geordie » Wed May 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Rick B wrote:
Also note, to get a good finish that lasts a long time you MUST watch how much water the contractor adds to the paint. Like their concrete, the Thais like their acrylic paint very watery and that simply dilutes the paint so that you loose the full effect of each coat of paint.

I bought a tin of paint gloss for the fence took it home and had the old git demanding a bottle of thinners becase its easier ?? they will thin gloss down as well we parted company that day enough is enough
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby falangsabai » Thu May 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi Rick B. Thanks for the info on the paint. Did you happen to note how much coverage you got from a five gallon can, with either the primer or the finish color. I'm trying to estimate my potential cost. Thanks again.
falangsabai

Postby geordie » Thu May 03, 2012 9:48 pm

I used on a garden wall by brush a 20ltre tub
with a roller next door (sister)had a third left
so 1.5 x 60mtrs by brush and zero left !! her wall exactly the same ? 13=14 litres so a roller will make it go further however = thinner coat both walls had been previously painted so were sealed also coulor on coulor the same !! change coulor its likely more coats so bare cement = 1 primer 2 coats 90 sq mtr i would have expected 15 litres primer 30 paint for a good solid coulor or 40 litres ?? water down the first coat then add two more
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Sunpax » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi,

I am looking to find a painter in my area...and like usually...no one :(

the only i see wanted for around 170 m2 : 45000 bahts :mrgreen:

So my question is ! how much it is in moment to paint 1 m2 ??? 2 or 3 coats ?

2 stories house 7.5 m hight ?

any answer will be much appreciate...
Thanks
Sunpax

Postby Sunpax » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Nobody ???

realy need to have an idea...
Sunpax

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:31 pm

i see a painter tomorow !!!

I don't want to pay him more than 60 bahts the m2....do you think is correct ?

I read somewhere that normaly its 30 bhts the m2 !!!
Sunpax

Postby pattayapope » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Sunpax we are still out there (or here) 60 baht a m2 sounds like good money to me, the time spent is on the edges and with a two story house it needs scaffolding so that might bring the price up. I know a very good painter in Pranburi who works for free on his own build but doubt he is avilable at the moment :lol:

Hope you have some sucess tomorrow :D
pattayapope

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Name ..Name...lolll

wow , the day i will see someone do something free for me...i think will be a terible chock..i don't think i will resist it! will be not good for my health..lolllll
Sunpax

Postby Scott657 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Wow.... I'm a painter in the UK and moving to Thailand in nov/dec. 60 baht per sqm sounds great if you've got a large area (like you have) I don't see it being any longer than a weeks work! So on that assumption that's mega money. Obviously I don't know about scaffolding, materials used etc. but considering the average wage is 350-500 baht per day that equates to 7 to 10 sqm, that can be achieved with about 2 roll outs.
Scott657

Postby Sunpax » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:31 pm

and no painter...my house is still nude after almost 2 years now . grrr

they all want extravagant money ...min 120 to 200 bahts m2 !!!

reason : its too hight...too ugly or to difficult.. :evil:

really difficult to don't explose sometimes and not kick them out...and say are you F**** crazy ! lolll

by any way, this year cession make me also sick ! i will soon reach my limite of money for this year...ans i see almost no progress..and the things done are not nice. like usually !!!! or not finish...

what are you doing if a worker (iron man) say tomorrow..and doesn't come...and this during one week or more ? make me buy material for nothing...iron under the rain ect ect , he suppose to finish 2 roof and make 2 other one !!! i still need to give him around 1250 bahts ! now i don't know what to do ! grrr make me ting tong
Sunpax

Postby Scott657 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 am

Now they're on my money! Tbh I never charge per sqm, it all depends on the job itself. Man it's a worry if you can't even get a painter, what are other trades like? Tell you what sunpax, ill do it for you when I'm over! Only thing is ill eyed to get a tan first, dress Thai, lose 36 pounds and chop 6" off my legs! Are we really not even allowed to work on OUR own property??
Scott657

Return to material prices & building costs