Powder Coated Aluminium Window Frames

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Powder Coated Aluminium Window Frames

Postby groucho » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Hello,

In furthering my research into windows for my four story shophouse renovation, can anyone recommend a company in Bangkok (or close) that manufactures, and installs Powder Coated Aluminium Window Frames. I would appreciate any comments, or recommendations from people that have them.

I am in the middle of an extensive research project focusing on the usual suspects .. wood, upvc, and powder coated aluminium.

Thanks,

groucho
groucho

Re: Powder Coated Aluminium Window Frames

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:51 am

groucho wrote:I would appreciate any comments, or recommendations from people that have them.

I have white powder coated, 6mm blue tinted, sliding glass aluminum frames throughout my new house. Included in the price was fly screens for every sliding window and door. Normally the members here do not recommend people they used, however in this case, I have recommended the same man to others and none have a problem with either his workmanship or the product. His workshop is in Bang Bua Thong but he assures me he will cover Bangkok and surrounding provinces. Unfortunately he doesn't speak English so you'll have to use a translator. If your interested I'll post his phone number and name here (when my wife gets up). His work for me and others was excellent. He was a real bright spot in my build.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 am

Here's the details: His name is Paiboon and the number is 081 915 3522
Roger Ramjet

Postby groucho » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:57 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Here's the details: His name is Paiboon and the number is 081 915 3522

Thanks Roger I will have my wife call today. Preceding her phone call do you have any information on the extruded profiles .. are they manufactured here, or imported.

Thanks in advance,

-Groucho
groucho

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:17 am

I used this type of aluminum doors and windows : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=1470
They lip over the edge of the window and door frame. The door frame also has a drain in it. I used Conwood for the window surrounds because the "carpenter" said it lasted longer and sealed better as I have double walls. My aluminum man actually agreed with him that time. If you have a red single brick townhouse it may pay to do the same thing as the red bricks are very porous and maybe, just maybe the builder forgot to put sealant in the cement render. My window bloke will be able to give recommendations anyway.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:34 pm

For what it's worth I think you will find that the Aluminium sections are made in Thailand, we even get it in Oz from there. The thing to watch is the thickness as there are several grades, so go to the fabricators shop and make sure you are getting the one you decide on and paying for. Make sure your builder leaves the window openings etc; that are straight and level ,then your Window guy can make them to fit with a minimum of caulking required. That's where wide eaves are best if possible to keep the rain off your windows, as unfortunately they don't go in for the normal western style Fins or flashing around the outer edge of fabricated windows in Thailand for what ever reason, relying solely on that caulking to do the job.
Mike Judd

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:34 pm

There is also the option of getting the windows made before building the opening and then building the windows into the wall. You can see an example of doing this in my thread on Grandmums house.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby groucho » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:47 pm

groucho wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:Here's the details: His name is Paiboon and the number is 081 915 3522

Thanks Roger I will have my wife call today. Preceding her phone call do you have any information on the extruded profiles .. are they manufactured here, or imported.

Thanks in advance,

-Groucho

Khun Paiboon will be coming to my house this Saturday to look at the job .. he will be bringing examples of the profiles, glass, etc.

My wife told him that "Khun Roger" had recommended him .. don't be surprised if he stops by your place with a batch of "gang kee lek"!
groucho

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:08 pm

groucho,
groucho wrote:My wife told him that "Khun Roger" had recommended him .. don't be surprised if he stops by your place with a batch of "gang kee lek"!

He won't have a clue who recommended him.... my names not Roger.... Roger Ramjet is a cartoon character.... Just tell him the bloke with the indoor swimming pool that's not completed..... and, I don't drink.... he's done work for two of my friends though and both said the price was great and the workmanship even better. I hope he does a great job for you and the price will be right.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:19 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:He won't have a clue who recommended him.... my names not Roger.... Roger Ramjet is a cartoon character.... Just tell him the bloke with the indoor swimming pool that's not completed..... and, I don't drink.... he's done work for two of my friends though and both said the price was great and the workmanship even better. I hope he does a great job for you and the price will be right.

Made my day you did Khun Roger. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby groucho » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Just updating where I left off. As I mentioned above my wife spoke with Paiboon on Thurs. the 11th, and made an appointment to come to our house at 12 noon on Sat. the 13th. We waited at the house until he showed up at 2:30 pm. He was nice enough personally, and we discussed the frames, colors, fittings, glass colors, etc. He brought a bunch of frame pieces in white, and different glass samples and for me. We walked through the house and took all the measurements for the windows, and some doors .. quite extensive. He said that he would be back at 12 noon on Monday the 15th to bring me examples of all the silvers, as that is what I wanted. As he was leaving I said Pee Paiboon these frames samples you brought me "are they "powder coated"? He said "no they are anodized". Up to this point it was made very clear that I wanted "powder coated aluminium". He said that he would call a friend of his that had them, but they are "pang mak mak". I said OK.

We called Monday morning to confirm the meeting at 12 noon. He said that he wanted to change the meeting to Wed. the 17th. My wife told him to forget about the "powder coat aluminium", my husband wants the anodized.

We called Wed. morning to confirm the meeting at 12 noon. He did not answer the phone. He called my wife at 5 pm and said that he had left his phone at home, that is why he did not answer. BUT he would come tomorrow before 12 noon on Thurs.

We called Thurs. morning to confirm the meeting at 12 noon. He did not answer the phone. My wife called him two more times during the day, but no answer. He called at 7 pm and said that he would meet us at our house on Sat. the 20th before 12 noon.

We called today at 11 am (Sat.) to confirm the meeting at 12 noon. He did not answer the phone. I am now at my apartment just up the same soi as my build. Never heard back from him.

He is a complete time waster.

-groucho
groucho

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Groucho,
I'm sorry I wasted your time, he did an excellent job for me, which is why I recommended him.
Roger Ramjet

Postby groucho » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Groucho,
I'm sorry I wasted your time, he did an excellent job for me, which is why I recommended him.

No apology necessary from you.

BTW as you suggested I mentioned that the farang with the indoor swimming pool recommended him to me. He said "oh yes, he got the blue glass .. and these frames", pointing to the gaggle of white "anodized" extrusions.

I am still looking for a supplier/installer.

Go kindly,

-groucho
groucho

Return to windows and doors