building over property border

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

incobart

building over property border

Post by incobart »

Goodafternoon,

I am building a house on a piece of land.At the back of the house the property border joins no-mansland, or gouverment land, cause ther is a small watercanal running behind.
because no-one will ever build behind I let the house start at the borderline.. and even on the 3 th floor i let the balcony come over the property line,
Totay Oaboatoa came to look and stopped the construction, saing that the house is too close to the property line (the balcony is not yet there)..

Whet can I do or what will happen ?

can anyone give me advise ?

Thanks
Chris
fredlk

Re: building over property border

Post by fredlk »

incobart wrote:because no-one will ever build behind I let the house start at the borderline.. and even on the 3 th floor i let the balcony come over the property line,
Totay Oaboatoa came to look and stopped the construction, saing that the house is too close to the property line (the balcony is not yet there)..
The property line is the extent of your property. To go over it is illegal. Other laws stipulate that there must a minimum of 1 metre between any building and the property line and 2 metres if there's a window in the wall.
incobart

Post by incobart »

I know ... but what can i do now to solve the problem ?
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

incobart wrote:I know ... but what can i do now to solve the problem ?
This is something that is enforced but then you knew that, once officialdom has become involved you have two options with the proper one being remove the portion of the house that is not in compliance. The other option is talk to the Orbator/Tessaban and ask him what can be done, tea money may be involved and this may be a short term solution.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

If the floor is already poured next to the property line that's not a problem, but walls are so if the walls are already there break them down.
incobart

Post by incobart »

till now nothing is put next to my property, it is within the lines, but 1 side (backside, that connect to the gouverment land with small brook (waterstream) on it comes to the line, and is not 1 or 2 m away from the line ( as explained in the first reply).. I disturb nobody cause just nature , nobody will own or build, oabotoa came only because someone go to blab (tell them)
on the 3th floor ( on witch they will start next week, i planned a balcony, wich will cross the line)
I can not just brake down the wall and move 2 m, cause everything is concrete construction on pilars

If necessary I can cancel the balcony .. but I cant just move the 3 floor building 1 m
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

You have 420 sq.M in Phuket and yet built on the property line we all got that part. It really doesn't matter what’s on the other side of the line. If your house is built with the normal 4 meter grid you could remove walls on the portion abutting property line as fredlk suggested.

Best talk to whoever issued the stop work notice since they seem to have the power.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
schuimpge

Post by schuimpge »

Amazing...you know the rules, you knowingly break them and then you ask what can be done about it.
The last thing I read about water ways here on CTH is that even if you owe the land next to it, you can't build on it within like 4 meters or so?.. You can not even put a fence or property wall on it if it's within a certain distance to the waterway.. So if i understand all this correctly, you are in for far more 'tea money' than you've ever wished for and, rightfully so...somebody blabla'd about it... I sure would do the same...what arrogance to think you're above the law when you know the rules..
incobart

Post by incobart »

sorry :cry:
MGV12

Post by MGV12 »

incobart wrote:sorry :cry:
Encroachment on public land [of all types] is a major issue in Phuket currently. Allegedly 12,000 Rai of such land has been encroached upon over the years and a witch hunt is taking place. As usual the 'tiddlers' will be the first [and maybe last] to be brought to 'justice' and made an example of ... the 'big fish' will employ top lawyers to find loopholes to make it go away or simply keep the battle going on for years ... usual practice.

You had better start thinking seriously about how you are going to adapt your building to comply .... as this is very unlikely to go away with even a case of Black Label Johnnie Walker.

Any idea who reported it?

FUTAB..........
incobart

Post by incobart »

Today, went to talk to the guy at oabotoa.

he said legaly you have to stay away 3 m away from the brook. I told him that behind the border of my land there is still 7 m land with trees to reach the small brook, so no danger, far away anough.
He said he understand, but the law make this rule, if your land connect with brook area, you must build 3 m inside. Balcony or something is no problem, just your pilars that support the house should stay 3 m away.
Look like he understand, and see there is no poblem, but because someone came to tell , he has to follow the law rules

He say the only right solution you have is break the building down and move...

Tomorrow he come to look and see what best we can do .. :-(((
MGV12

Post by MGV12 »

incobart wrote:
Tomorrow he come to look and see what best we can do .. :-(((
Not even logged on since then ... July 4 ... doesn't suggest a happy ending!

FUTAB..........