Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Postby apetley » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:37 am

Hi James, thanks alot for the kind words, they're really appreciated.
Uncle is finally enjoying a well earned retirement and his nephew has inherited the team of labourers, unfortunately they only work locally.
Internet in the village is a pita!!! We first had a phone line installed by TOT so we could use TTT/3B. That worked okish at first giving speeds between 0.2 and 0.4Mb which whilst not brilliant was good enough for my needs but slowly deteriorated and then 3B stopped serving our area. We then contacted TOT for their internet but they admitted phone lines in the village are so bad connection would be patchy at best. Frustrating because a kilometer away is a main road along which internet speeds are a stable 6Mb because the phone lines are properly maintained. So I got an aircard for use in my pc which was very slow but just about did what I wanted.
I eventually got a smartphone a couple of years ago but only Edge is available locally. Speed averages about 0.15Mb. 3G has been promised for the last three years hahahahahahaha, bad joke.
We did have TOT come out to test if we could receive their WINET service but a clump of trees between us and the mast cuts the signal apparently. They said if we invest in an 18m mast, about 8k bht, we should get a signal..........maybe :roll:
Waiting to see if 3G appears before year end, if not may get the mast and see if WINET works.
That is if our house isn't sold before then. Yes it's on the market!!!! There is a chance we can get some beautiful land along the river which is the only reason I would ever sell.
apetley

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:55 am

Shame about your internet problems apetley seems these days line of site to a cell tower is a good thing, but on the other hand good to hear you are looking for new land.

Hopefully another great build story will be forth coming. The Building in Don Tau IT is pinned for a very good reason. I for one learned a lot from it.

Good luck with the sale.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Psychic » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Just finished reading this whole thread. Fantastic documentation of your project and very much appreciated for all the valuable lessons and information contained in here.
The house looks great. Good luck with your second build if it goes ahead and I hope to see the progress on that. I'm not sure I'd be able to put myself through everything it takes to build a house in Thailand then do it again but you,obviously, are very good at this as judged by your relatively trouble free and successful build. I'm sure with this experience under your belt that you will be even better next time.
Again, thank you very much for sharing.
Psychic

Postby apetley » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:29 am

Thanks for the kind words Psycic. I've learnt alot from our house build to be honest and feel confident the lessons could be put to good use in a new build.
Having said that I'm not desperate to sell and would only do so if the price is right. The trigger to put it on the market was a couple of speculative enquiries at the same time I learnt some land on the river was on offer.
If it happens you'll read it here first:-):-):-)
apetley

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Second that, great thread and lots of good information on cost

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Tanlic » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:29 am

And you have great taste..........house is beautiful
Tanlic

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Apetley,

Looking forward to viewing your river build. I’m sure you know some Chinese are here offering well above asking price for nice places, best part of that is yours fits the bill.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:21 pm

I can't wait, another good build and yarn coming up.

[Shame is that he hasn't even looked in for three years - mod]
Roger Ramjet

Postby apetley » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:21 am

I have looked in on occasion :D
Still trying to sell our house at the moment so no new build news.
We have someone who wants to buy but he cannot sell his own property right now so playing the waiting game.
apetley

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:02 pm

apetley wrote:I have looked in on occasion :D

:mrgreen: Hang it there Apetley things have a way of working out. :mrgreen:
BKKBILL

Postby apetley » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:07 am

Just had a good read through all these posts! Gosh memories!! Was it really eight years since we moved in?!!!
Here's a couple of pics to show how quickly a Thai garden can mature :D
Attachments
thumbnail_P_20160911_105649.jpg
thumbnail_P_20160911_105533.jpg
apetley

Postby MGV12 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:25 am

apetley wrote:Just had a good read through all these posts! Gosh memories!! Was it really eight years since we moved in?!!!

Yes time flies here also ... and it's not just cos we are getting older!

Consistent 'tram lines' from the grass mowing would suggest you do it yourself :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby runker » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 am

I am impressed how well your trees have flushed out since being planted.
runker

Postby apetley » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:39 am

MGV12 wrote:
apetley wrote:Just had a good read through all these posts! Gosh memories!! Was it really eight years since we moved in?!!!

Yes time flies here also ... and it's not just cos we are getting older!

Consistent 'tram lines' from the grass mowing would suggest you do it yourself :)

Englishman and his lawn and all that :D
I do like straight lines.
Mind you one of the Thai guys who came to view our house remarked that he didn't like them at all so maybe i should throw a few swirls in.
apetley

Postby apetley » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:44 am

runker wrote:I am impressed how well your trees have flushed out since being planted.

Yes they have done rather well although we have lost three of the originals. Probably our not very good soil, that was dug out from far too deep, to blame.
Lesson learned, if doing it again I'd set aside the top half metre or so to spread around on the surface and use where trees are to be planted.
apetley

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story