Natural swimming pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Natural swimming pool

Postby schuimpge » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Hello Steve,

I used standard liner that is used for trucks, rain covers etc.
I used 3, 2 for the filters and 1 for the main pond.
The main pond was 20x10m I think, cost me 11,000 baht or so.

Maybe good to meet up some time and discuss things in detail.
PM me anytime you're in BKK.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:56 am

This is a very inspirational build for a tropical pond/pool. He takes it literal and swims with his fish.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... d+Tropical

Very long read, but with lots of pictures and information on how to build it.
He does go with more mechanics on the filter, that part I'd change to more natural, but what he built..amazing.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Mitch » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks so much for that Luc will read it.
And thanks for the offer I will definitely like to come and see your pond in operation.
Regards Steve
Mitch

Postby oil » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Heya,

i wanted to to a natual swimming pool as well, mostly cause it feels better to swim in natural bacteria then in pharmaceutical enhanced chemistry pool

in my research for NSP i read some books and its all really interesting but i did face the following problems therefore i skipped the idea, but please lemme know if you found solution for it.

as far my research went it crucial that certain bacteria which cleans the pool can not live in water temperatures higher then 28 degrees Celcius, from what i know from other pool owner here in TH is that in summer their pool often gets a easy 34+ Degrees, so in summer the NSP wouldnt be sustainable unfortunatly.

However i could be wrong after all and i am hoping somebody did found a solution for it.
its been quite a bit time since i digged myself into that, however i was told the key is to find bacteria which can survive in hotter temperature to clean the water then,
oil

Postby schuimpge » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Regarding your questions on bacteria and temperature.
The optimum temperature for the nitrate cycle lies around 30'C.
However, they survive in water up to 49'C.
Higher Temperature means less efficiency and multiplication or growth of the bacteria colony.

This by itself does not have to be a major problem if your pool and filter are properly large.
You have to understand that these bacteria die far more easily from starvation (not enough waste in the water) than that they would die from heat.
Also, the pool bacteria adjust themselves according to usage of the pool. More waste, more bacteria.
The only limit to that is the size of the filter area. If you want to keep it safe, your filter area should be 50% of the pool area, but more is better.
Second, I'd always put a decent amount of fish in the pool. (you could separate them with overflows).
Reason? They will keep a continuous amount of waste flowing through the system. A full cycle normally takes about 6 weeks, meaning that all bacteria involved in the waste-process started their work. Once they are deprived of food, you have a problem. you will not have that problem by keeping the cycle going through fish waste. And the moment you use the pool, the bacteria will get more waste and multiply very fast to keep up with the extra waste.
Not using the pool for a while, then part of the bacteria will die, but the fish will keep that surviving colony of bacteria busy with food.

Same in a fishtank... You add fish normally very slowly but minimum 6 weeks after a 'cold' startup.
And when you start, you do it 1 or 2 at a time with a few days between until the next few fish go in.
Fish are much more sensitive to this, so that's why.
So by keeping
schuimpge

Postby dam-sealers » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:04 pm

A leaking dam is an embarrassment to everyone concerned. The earthworks operator who built it feels terrible. The people who paid for it feel indignant. The folks who designed it feel responsible. And the ground beneath the dam wall feels wet.

<Indian spammer - mod>
dam-sealers

Previous

Return to swimming pool