Perimeter fence( Not retaining wall)

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Perimeter fence( Not retaining wall)

Postby Mike Judd » Wed May 15, 2013 6:48 am

DSCN4588.JPG
some of the 540 mts
Having seen so many perimeter walls in Thailand, which are usually ugly thin concrete blocks connected to cheap concrete posts, all, (depending on finances) painted or left bare. They invariably crack in places or fall over, once again depending on how well constructed.
These walls are sometimes 100's mts long , if as usual one wants to cover the whole of the property. Have any of our members thought of building a fence out of other materials than blocks, The traditional wooden fence as around Western properties would not be the go because of the lack of a suitable cheap and durable timber. But maybe the light steel posts concreted in and Colourbond cladding would be feasible, so quick, durable and maintenance free. But then again because Western countries are trying to save Labour costs as the priority, Thailand is the opposite, Labour is cheap with the savings all in the materials used. As I have about 480 mts of boundaries ,with the land already built up on both sides so that there is no retaining required, it's something I will have to seriously consider when the time comes. My land always had the traditional concrete posts all around with 3 lines of barbed wire , which was lifted up as the fill went in to keep out wandering cows. Just something I would like to improve on one day.
Attachments
DSCN5122.JPG
more of it.
Mike Judd

Re: Perimeter fence( Not retaining wall)

Postby fredlk » Wed May 15, 2013 7:18 am

Mike Judd wrote:maybe the light steel posts concreted in and Colourbond cladding would be feasible, so quick, durable and maintenance free.

I doubt it's available here and if it is it will be very pricey. As you say, with cheap labour, a concrete and block wall is cheapest. I also don't like the thin block look and that is why mine is 20 centimetres thick making it look a little less fragile.
fredlk

Re: Perimeter fence( Not retaining wall)

Postby Mike Judd » Wed May 15, 2013 4:02 pm

What walls I have had built, I got them to use 2 of the thin blocks staggered side by side and tied into 200m.m. x 200m.m. columns, all rendered and painted, not very efficient . I have even taken over rolls of Brick-Tor (Galv wire mesh) to strengthen future walls, but I would prefer to get hold of those 200m.m. wide Serene blocks if available around Khon Kaen. When you think of the minute amount of extra material required for a thicker block, you wonder why they bother with the thin ones. So much more stable and stronger.
Attachments
Front fence from road.jpg
42mts wall (not Stainless fence) B80,000
Mike Judd

Return to material prices & building costs