Exterior doors. Inwards or outwards?

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Exterior doors. Inwards or outwards?

Postby Galee » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:29 am

Which way should an exterior door open?. My western concept is 'inwards', but this causes problems when trying to install 'insect screens' around the door. For my wife, not having an insect screen on a door is a BIG issue. She can't sleep thinking about it. The fact that we have windows next to the doors that can be opened and screened is irrelevant.
Yesterday she came back from her village with the relevant power saws to cut off the door jambs on the solid teak door frames and have them repositioned so that the doors can open outwards and so make it possible to fit the insect screens.
Whilst on about doors. Why is it you very rarely see door thresholds over here? I'm thinking of having them on my exterior doors.
Galee

Re: Exterior doors. Inwards or outwards?

Postby schuimpge » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:46 am

I'd say outside doors and windows swing outside when opening.
Makes sense as you leave maximum space on the inside of the room to utilize.
My village, all doors and windows looking outside, swing open to the outside. Including the windows and doors of bedrooms upstairs.
schuimpge

Postby Shastadad » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 am

I went round and round on this subject with my builder(s) since they all insisted that exterior door had to swing outwards due to the torrential rains here in Thailand

Since all three of my exterior doors were under cover of either a porch overhang or carport that logic was just another example of not wanting to do anything different than the norm

If you are going to install security bars or screens on the exterior doors then the doors must swing inward so that the screens or security bars can swing outwards as Galee has noted
Shastadad

Postby schuimpge » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am

Shastadad wrote:I went round and round on this subject with my builder(s) since they all insisted that exterior door had to swing outwards due to the torrential rains here in Thailand

Since all three of my exterior doors were under cover of either a porch overhang or carport that logic was just another example of not wanting to do anything different than the norm

If you are going to install security bars or screens on the exterior doors then the doors must swing inward so that the screens or security bars can swing outwards as Galee has noted

It absolutely makes sense to have your doors swing outwards with torrential rains sometimes blasting your house horizontally.
As for security doors, I disagree with your reasoning....

Example, you want a breeze in your house, so you open the outside door...To keep the house secured, you'd have the security bar/insect-screened door on the inside and you lock it from the inside as well. Night-time, if burglars try your normal door, with alarm, they'd be running already, especially after they find the security door inside.
With an outside swinging door, it's also more difficult to break into a house. (only possible with a crowbar if you have proper locks and pins installed.)
Swinging inside, you might be able to bust the door inwards with a good kick.

I'd follow the building code of locals. Swing outside...
Security and Mosquito screen on the inside.
schuimpge

Postby Shastadad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:11 am

Security bars are never going to stop a determined burglar, they are only there to get them to go to the other guys house, the one without security bars

Therefore they should be visible from the outside

I'd follow the building code of locals
:lol:
Shastadad

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:20 am

Shastadad wrote:Security bars are never going to stop a determined burglar, they are only there to get them to go to the other guys house, the one without security bars

Therefore they should be visible from the outside

Valid point...unless your door has glass panes in it...like mine...
Having just gone through an HP security audit at my factory, their reasoning differs though.
Security bars are there as a last line of defense, giving you some extra minutes for security to move in.
The idea behind it is to purely deter "break, grab and run" type of events.

I'd follow the building code of locals :lol:

Had a good laugh myself, that's indeed a different way of reading it.... :lol:
schuimpge

Postby Galee » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 am

Having discussed things with our builder it was to much hassle to change and the doors are staying the same. Opening inwards, which in hindsite, I think is wrong.
The LHT is not happy but I think it's something she'll get use to. To placate her I said she can chose the colour of paint for the exterior.
I'm not sure but i thought I heard her say something about purple and yellow. :shock:
Galee

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 am

Galee wrote:To placate her I said she can chose the colour of paint for the exterior.
I'm not sure but i thought I heard her say something about purple and yellow. :shock:

Big mistake...lol.... You're gonna end up with Hello Kitty Pink... :lol:
If you're lucky, you might get a Sand Yellow...
And heaven forbid, you might get both to complement each other.... :mrgreen:
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:03 am

schuimpge wrote:
Galee wrote:To placate her I said she can chose the colour of paint for the exterior.

Big mistake...lol.... You're gonna end up with Hello Kitty Pink... :lol:

You are maligning SWMBO http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3485&start=75 Hello Kitty Pink... :lol: goes with white!!!

Also Grandmum has great face as 3 felang have stopped and taken photos :roll: :roll:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:33 am

Sometimewoodworker,
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Also Grandmum has great face as 3 felang have stopped and taken photos

I bet they were covered in mud from rolling on the ground laughing. Or they said to their wife/girlfriend "you paint the house like that and your divorced"....or, "I wish I had a dozer"... or make-up your own. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:22 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Sometimewoodworker,
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Also Grandmum has great face as 3 felang have stopped and taken photos

I bet they were covered in mud from rolling on the ground laughing. Or they said to their wife/girlfriend "you paint the house like that and your divorced"....or, "I wish I had a dozer"... or make-up your own. :lol: :lol:

Indeed, I'm sure they did.... :lol: :lol:
I mean definitely since it was the second one they saw.... :lol:
yellow-purple.jpg

:shock: :D :mrgreen:
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:40 am

schuimpge wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:Sometimewoodworker,

Indeed, I'm sure they did.... :lol: :lol:
I mean definitely since it was the second one they saw.... :lol:
yellow-purple.jpg

:shock: :D :mrgreen:

No no!!! Be kind to RR at least they hadn't had the full benefit of the inside glass doors. :lol: :lol: :lol: if they had they wound have been able to see SWIMBO's for the tears in their eys :wink: :wink:

But while Grand mum is happy, and we have started a trend in Thai house colours, others can at least have an example what can be done by their wife/girlfriend. And to be fair at least the house does match the "Hello Kitty" clock. :P :P :o

Also it's not a house we have to live in :roll:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am

I should keep my big mouth shut.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:I should keep my big mouth shut.

No no no...it's very entertaining... :lol: :lol: :lol:
schuimpge

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:I should keep my big mouth shut.

:mrgreen: I concur! :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Return to windows and doors