Price for timber

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Price for timber

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:55 pm

A bit off topic but any timber needs tools to work it so I'll throw in my 2 penny's worth. Most of the world brands seem to be made in China so you don't have much choice. I only know that comparing prices in Thailand with what I already have and bought in Bunnings in Oz , is a "No brainer"" I can buy any Power tool here in Oz far far cheaper than anything in Thailand. Why I have no idea as 90% of their goods are from China as well, and their mark up in Oz would have to be far in excess of the Thai's with wages here at a min of B15,000 per week plus all the goodies. Something is way out of kilter in Thailand with the imports.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:08 pm

It's the crazy import duty and then the VAT that has to be applied additionally by the distributors and retailers. I could understand such duty if it were to protect locally produced Thai stuff, but AFAIK, Thailand doesn't make any power tools.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby canopy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:40 am

I do not believe the import duties have anything to do with the high prices of tools in Thailand. Thailand retailers have a well known history of selling yesterdays products at very high prices. Let me give an example. I do not believe there are any Makita 18 volt cordless products for sale in all of Thailand and have only found 14V or less. Yet 18V has been sold in the US for years and they are awesome. I shipped over a brand new 18V Makita angle grinder and paid an import duty of 1%. Totally worth it.
canopy

Postby Makmak456 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 am

"Maktec" is Makita but made in Thailand, only brand that I know made here.
So far, good quality, but they are made for household use not for full time day in day out use...IMHO and about 1/3 less $$ than the Makita
Makmak456

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm

canopy wrote: I shipped over a brand new 18V Makita angle grinder and paid an import duty of 1%. Totally worth it.

canopy, how did you ship it and from what supplier?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 pm

canopy wrote:I do not believe the import duties have anything to do with the high prices of tools in Thailand. Thailand retailers have a well known history of selling yesterdays products at very high prices. Let me give an example. I do not believe there are any Makita 18 volt cordless products for sale in all of Thailand and have only found 14V or less. Yet 18V has been sold in the US for years and they are awesome. I shipped over a brand new 18V Makita angle grinder and paid an import duty of 1%. Totally worth it.

While you are right about the prices charged you have to apreciate the factors that go into it. Goods once bought into Thailand can't be returned if new models are introduced, shipping and importation is a slow process and product needs to be bulk purchased to get a reasonable price, users can't easly buy from overseas so there is little downward pressure on prices.

Also having imported tools directly my self, I'm sure you were lucky with your import. It is not true that there is only a duty of 1%. I had to research the import tariffs myself (even though my shipment came via DHL) and I know that almost all power tools have a duty rate of at least 30%. I can't remember if there was VAT on top as well.

Now I bring in my tools in my checkin baggage and avoid import duties.
Sometimewoodworker

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs