Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Time

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Time

Postby Greenside » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 pm

I've watched in awe (and learned a lot) as Max gave what seemed like an almost hourly account of progress on their house and decided that I can't match that level of dedication so this is going to be a pale shadow of the 160+ page epic that he has selflessly contributed to your excellent site. I've picked up a lot of good tips here and feel duty bound to give some in return so I'm going to focus on issues that arise rather than simply progress.

My wife owns a plot of almost three rai in what is the nearest we get to an Heritage Area - in fact the original site of the city. Historically prone to flooding but our particular plot has escaped the last few but with the work being done both up and down river you can't be sure of anything much from season to season. The original idea was to build a main house and a studio/guest cottage but delays in getting the finance in place meant that we built the Studio first which is where we now live. It's 112 m² with a further 90 m² of outdoor living space and a built on sala. Very nice to live in but too small for our family.

So, just in time to watch the pound sink beneath the waves, we started work on the main house and have got to the stage of pouring the ground beams at the end of last week. We employed a local all-in-one contractor for the Studio and although some people have reported less than favourable results, I found them to be reliable and good value for money - they've remained in contact and followed up in a timely and efficient way on the usual kind of post building problems that arise.

The architect who designed the exterior and detailing of the Studio left the contractor at about the time our project finished and we retained him to work on the main house since we want to integrate the development not only with the surroundings but internally too. He's an English speaking Thai with a growing reputation and experience working with farang clients. Compared with many of you on this site, we're taking the easy route and not actually doing much ourselves as far as the actual bricks and mortar are concerned. We got bids from three local companies for the build and although it was a near thing, finally chose one who was hungry to add an interesting (or what we all hope in going to be an interesting) house close to the city to their portfolio. They seem fine so far but only time will tell.

The main house is a "U" shape built around a pool with a wide deck for living and entertaining. 4 Bedrooms, living/dining, family room, 3 baths, office and two kitchens all on one floor. Haven't got a plan to hand to post but you can get an idea from this (early) sketch-up animation....

... or you would do if I could figure out how to get You Tube to appear on this board. Help?
Greenside

Re: Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Tim

Postby jazzman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Not sure how to embed YouTube videos, but if you're thinking of having a pool built, to avoid any disappointment be absolutely sure to read our swimming pool section - all of it !
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 am

Hi there ... good to have you posting.

The pound ... or half-pound as it is now ... dropped from 70 when I arrived in 2007 to 44 now! Add to this inflation in material prices and increased labour rates and it sure isn't as cheap to build here as it used to be ... still a darn sight cheaper than the UK though and no snow!

Youtube: At the top of the box where you get to choose font size, colour etc there is a youtube button. 'Copy' the link for your youtube video ... position your cursor in your text where you want the video to appear ... click the youtube button and you will see open and close 'quotes' appear with the cursor flashing between them. Hold done the keyboard 'ctrl' key and press 'v' .... the link should appear between the quotes. Test by hitting 'preview'.

Good luck with your build ... what precautions are you taking against future flooding?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Greenside » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 am

I tried the BB Code YouTube button but it doesn't seem to work - that's what the huge empty space in my first post is! I tried it with the whole URL, just the YouTube ID and the Embed code too, but no luck. I even tried [video][/video] which I read somewhere might result in the proper formatting. Any other ideas?

Pool: A source of much discussion with the contractor and after some modifications to the original plan we all feel it's going to work out OK. The supply and installation of the filter system and pump etc. is subcontracted to a local pool person whose work we checked out and the engineer is confident that the structure is sound. It's only 1.4m deep (so really a splash pool) and the challenge is that most of it is above ground as the house and deck are raised over a metre above the the existing soil level.

Flooding: We've designed both buildings to be above the level of floods in the past 20 years or so but with the changes in the flood plain caused by the huge amount of development, I doubt if anyone really can predict what might happen in the future. Yesterday, we got word that the local tessaban may have have just been granted some capital to put towards improving the river bank on the nearest stretch of river which would bring some longer term peace of mind. Much of the downtown tourist area would be inundated before it affected us, so fingers crossed to some extent on that one.

Resorted to just links for the YouTube clips but it would still be nice to know how to embed it here!

SketchUp Animation
YouTube "View From A Bucket"
Greenside

Postby MGV12 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 am

Greenside wrote:I tried the BB Code YouTube button but it doesn't seem to work - that's what the huge empty space in my first post is! I tried it with the whole URL, just the YouTube ID and the Embed code too, but no luck. I even tried [video][/video] which I read somewhere might result in the proper formatting. Any other ideas?

Resorted to just links for the YouTube clips but it would still be nice to know how to embed it here!

SketchUp Animation
YouTube "View From A Bucket"

Don't ask me why as I am neither a Youtube nor embedding expert ... however:

For them to work you have to actually view the video on Youtube and then copy/paste the url directly from the url box. That always works for me anyway ... and did so that I could get them working in your opening post.

Looks like a good project ... budget? Good start already having the land ... tad expensive in that area.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 am

I believe Youtube has problems at the moment.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Youtube seems to be working now. Lets try copy and pasting the Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCCA6LoiLxI&feature=youtu.be) into cth's youtube tab.

Seems to work in Preview.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Greenside » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for the help of the YouTube problem. I've run out of videos to post for the time being but we'll see how it goes next time :)
Greenside

Postby pattayapope » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Your guest house looks really nice, makes mine seem like village shacks by comparison, I also like the design of your main house from the fly by video. Could you share some more pictures of you guest house[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby Greenside » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:22 pm

I don't have any interiors to post at the moment but here is what we consider the front as it faces the wat.

The interior was designed as one big space with a bedroom, office and bathroom plus an open plan kitchen. It was going to be my photographic workspace but due to the increased cost of building the main house thanks to the rubbish exchange rate, it looks like we will be offering it as a rental. For the right person it will be a really special place - it's pretty much like being in the country but 5 minutes from the centre of town.

Our neighbour's pony, by the way :)
Greenside

Postby Burkie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 am

Good morning I have a couple of questions about your guest house. If you have time would you please pm me.

Burkie
Burkie

Postby jazzman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 am

Greenside wrote:Pool: A source of much discussion with the contractor and after some modifications to the original plan we all feel it's going to work out OK. The supply and installation of the filter system and pump etc. is subcontracted to a local pool person whose work we checked out and the engineer is confident that the structure is sound. It's only 1.4m deep (so really a splash pool) and the challenge is that most of it is above ground as the house and deck are raised over a metre above the the existing soil level.

Never say 'only', 1.4m is the average depth for a domestic pool (or even a larger commercial one). One of the main problems with the 'local pool people' is they often do not know how to make the pool shell waterproof or design for flow rate, correctly matched pumps & filters, and the routing of the plumbing. FWIW, I get many requests to recommend pool constructors in CM province; even if I could, I'm not allowed to, but the irony is, there is no one in CM I could recommend if I wanted to. On the engineering side, unless they can dig very deep 1 x 1m footings down to the original substrate and more, piles will probably need to sunk which significantly adds to the basic construction cost of a pool.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Burkie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 pm

I am sorry. It seems that I cannot pm you so I will have to post my questions here.
I would like to have an idea what you would be charging and if the guest house is furnished. Also where exactly it is located.
Burkie

Postby Greenside » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Not sure why you can't PM me - there's a little button by my name which should do the trick.

The Studio/Guest House is for our own use until early next year when we will look for a long term tenant. We haven't fixed a price yet but I'm confident we'll get a better than average rent despite the massive over supply up here, given the spaciousness and location (and friendly neighbours, course). If you are likely to be in the market for a place to live at that time let me know and I'll keep you updated.
Greenside

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Greenside wrote:Not sure why you can't PM me - there's a little button by my name which should do the trick.

Nothing is ever quite as it seems. On this site you have to have a certain number of post to be able to use the PM system. If you want to know that number send a query to Dozer.

<enquiries have already been made - mod>

<Dozer: Regarding PM ability, both Greenside/Burkie have permissions to PM so I don't think it has to do with system restrictions. If problem occurs again PM me>
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Next

Return to Your Building Story