Another Swimming Pool Build

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Another Swimming Pool Build

Postby schuimpge » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 am

If you really want the skimmer box design, simply look at pond supplies. There's hundreds of koi pond retailers who sell high quality skimmers and they got plenty of spare parts. But I agree that overflow is a much better option simply by how it functions.
Skimmers also become useless if the wind comes from another direction away from your skimmer.

Makes me wonder about my next pond to build...hmmm...bottom drain and over the edge into a catchment area.
The edge being a landscaped rock wall with plants.
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 am

schulmpge,
I don't think the "wind" will effect my indoor pool too much. It would have to be a huge fart! However as my pool is only 4 metres X 6 metres and won't be in constant use, I think the skimmer box is ideal for the situation.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 am

As your pool already has a Skimmer box system R.R. I can't see you worrying about it until you have a problem, then as you said ,how hard would it be to make a metal one for life. ? I would be careful which way you are facing though, if you have had a skin full of " Guinness" the night before. Geordie might tell you about that beer if you are not familiar with that Irish brew.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:23 am

If you opt for skimmers (well, one skimmer in a pool that size) be sure to purchase a spare lid or two and a weir. You will be certain to need then in a few years.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:56 am

No I will be going for the Infinity edge, love the look of it , just have to limit the spill over part to probably about a 1.5mt out of the 4mt width at the end. As mentioned I will only have a max of 1mt from the top of the edge to ground level. By the time I allow say .600m.m. for the fall into the trough, I will need a pretty large area trough to hold that 5% min of pool capacity (42,000lt) unless I can go down well below the bottom of my pump. I would welcome your comment if it's not too much bother Jazz. ?
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:16 pm

I don't see the point of getting a stainless steel skimmer specially madfe. A skimmer is actually quite a complex piece of equipment; there is at least one Thai online pool shop that will allow you to download an instruction manual for a skimmer along with its parts list and complete exploded parts diagrammes. A good quality ABS skimmer will cost around Baht 2,000 - 5,000 depending on what it's supposed to do. If you get a cheap no-name import from a well known chain of DIY builders'' merchants, they cost about 850 baht and will last all of two years. The first thing to break is usually the plastic lid and the n sooner or later the weir gets broken; unless it's a branded product, spares will be impossible to obtain and it's even difficult now to get spares for older, branded, obsolete models.
Problem with a skimmer is, it's set in the concrete, and to replace one is asking for a major construction job and a bill of baht 20,000 upwards. You don't have issues like these with a gutter all round or an infinity edge.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I will need a pretty large area trough to hold that 5% min of pool capacity (42,000lt) unless I can go down well below the bottom of my pump. I would welcome your comment if it's not too much bother Jazz. ?

5% of 42,000 is only 2m3 - that's a tiny balance tank. You can play with math to work out various lengths, widths, and depths you need to hold that much. For a standard small pool build (e.g. 4 x 10), it fits very nicely at 2 x 1 x 1, for example, under the floor of the pump house, but of course 7 - 10% is better. In fact 28m of trough, 25cm wide and 40 cm deep, will give you 2.80 m3, but you'll nead a clearanvce headroom in it for surges, but the system is perfectly doable and standard.
jazzman

Postby Steve&mem » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Time for an update and the bad news was for two and a half weeks we had no labour. But it did give us time to realise/notice a couple of problems with the pool.
Form the picture below you can see the rendering has not taken very well. The dear old wife found it when she went round tapping the walls and found a lot of areas where it sounded hollow.

The other was that we totally forgot about the overflow at the end of the pool where the surge tank is, we didn’t leave the cut outs in the wall, so one poor lad spent all day chipping it out as you can see in the 2nd photo.
Attachments
IMAG0815.jpg
IMAG0801.jpg
IMAG0812.jpg
IMAG0800.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Here’s a couple of pictures of the overflow construction. Not the way I would have done it but I am sure it will work out
Attachments
IMAG0799.jpg
IMAG0816.jpg
IMAG0805.jpg
Steve&mem

Skimmers

Postby jazzman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Just to be sure people understand what I'm talking about, here is an excerpt from a manual of a fairly common skimmer design. The better the quality, the more expensive, and those that have 2" ports are best of all because they are designed for larger pools. That said, for any pool over about 24 m2 (6 x 4) it's always a good idea to go with 2" pipes for all the main plumbing even if reducers have to be used for the 1.5" filter and pump ports.
Attachments
Skimmer.jpg
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:21 am

Thanks for all that, I will be able to fit in a large enough trough at the end of the pool , it's just that I was trying to establish the ideal height for the outlet of the trough at it's bottom, to the pump which has to suck it up. The pump house will be close along side the trough at the end, but not below land level if I can help it. Obviously the deeper the trough the other sizes don't need to be so large.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 am

Just ensure that the lowest level of water below the pump is not more than about 80 cm - the hardest work a pump does is sucking the water; pushing it up or further along afterwards takes somewhat less effort. Ironically, although the best place technically for a swimming pool pump is below the waterline so that it is gravity fed and does not need to prime itself every time it switches on, underground pump houses are a catastrophe waiting to happen, and when it does, the repairs, and the replacement of the pumps, filters, chlorinators, and electrical systems are often very costly.

Note: All this advice is not really in the right thread, so please consider linking any new, similar enquiries to it.
jazzman

Postby garethp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:53 pm

jazzman wrote:You're probably right Mike, and the engineers you consulted. but some of your technical terms may not be quite as universal as you might imagine, and even had me confused for a while.

Pool engineering is not rocket science and as an art & business that generally gets handed down, like funeral parlours, through the generations, rarely needs any qualifications to back it up. The problems begin when those who think, 'Hey, there's a whacking profit on building swimming pools - I'll move to Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Thailand and set up shop'. They set up shop alright, but then start guessing how to build pools, and many of them get it even more wrong than some of the DIYers who post on this site.

The DIYers can be forgiven for getting it wrong though - just like the guy who died because he changed his brake pads and didn't know about bleeding the hydraulics afterwards - because they almost all go back and try to re-invent the wheel, or at least the building methods, and worst of all, won't accept the solid advice when it comes from a professional for free. Serious market research has proven time and time again that the only real advice that is heeded is advice that is paid for - it's simply psychological, who wold want to give good advice for free? If it's free there has to be something wrong with it!

We tend to over-engineer here in Thailand to compensate for any invisible or not immediately recognisable lack of quality in the construction materials. Unless you're a pro and have been living, breathing, and eating cement powder and concrete for 40 years, you won't know a good mix from a bad one until it's too late, even if it does pass the slump test. Two years later you'll be slumped in your deck chair looking at the collapsed mess of tiles, concrete and twisted steel that is left of your 2 million baht swimming pool that you oh so cleverly got built for only 400.000 :roll:

Yes, a real pro can build a small pool on 15cm thick walls and floor, wider rebar spacing, and thinner bar - and he will have the history and experience to prove that he hasn't had any complaints, and will still be around in 10 years time to support his 'company's' guarantee.

Just in case anyone from Chiangmai region is reading this and thinking of building a pool avoid a man named Mati at all costs should you encounter him along your search he represents (very poorly I might add) a supposed well respected pool company based in Phuket. in the 6 years we have had the pool it has been empty half of the time, the liner rips, the pipes burst, the concrete cracks, the pool is left empty for months at a time, copied parts used during construction, electric shocks from bad wiring, rusted barriers around kids zone, refusal to answer mails and phone calls and many more all documented and photographed. In his defence Mati probably feels quite safe, as his mother company whom I will happily share with anyone who wishes to know also show no interest. If you wish to see photos of this 3 million baht fiasco let me know, we really would not want anyone else to have to suffer these horrible criminals in Phuket and Chiangmai respectively.
garethp

Postby fredlk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:08 pm

garethp wrote:If you wish to see photos of this 3 million baht fiasco let me know

I am sorry to hear about the problems you're having. I'm sure it's given you many sleepless nights.
I for one would be interested to see what has gone wrong and where because it might teach me a thing or two and give me some more to watch out for on my own build.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:48 pm

fredlk wrote:
garethp wrote:If you wish to see photos of this 3 million baht fiasco let me know

I am sorry to hear about the problems you're having. I'm sure it's given you many sleepless nights.
I for one would be interested to see what has gone wrong and where because it might teach me a thing or two and give me some more to watch out for on my own build.

+1
Sometimewoodworker

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool