Importing hardwood/old wood from LAOS PDR

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Importing hardwood/old wood from LAOS PDR

Postby Aircut » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 am

I wonder if anyone had have the experience of importing raw materials from laos and would be willing to share tips and sources.
thanks
Aircut

Re: Importing hardwood/old wood from LAOS PDR

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Aircut,
I was told that is where the wood for my bloody doors came from and I can assure you I have had nothing but trouble since.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Galee » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Aircut,
I was told that is where the wood for my bloody doors came from and I can assure you I have had nothing but trouble since.

You've got me worried now Roger. We've just bought some solid hardwood doors and frames that my wife says are made from 'Maisuk' wood. They need a bit of work on them to bring them up to standard but were hoping they will be worth it. We've put 6 doors undercover at our present address and both of us were completely knackered lifting and moving them.

Just Googled 'Maisuk' and it looks like there made from Teak. No wonder they were heavy. At 3800baht each I reckon I got a good deal.
Galee

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:06 am

Please be sure and post how it goes, both good and bad, shrinkage and any warpage or not !!
Mark
Makmak456

Postby Breizh29 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Please Galee, if it is not indelicate where did you buy your doors ? Thanks.
Breizh29

Postby Galee » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:38 pm

The shop is on the ring road. On the bend between the Global traffic lights and the Nong Khai traffic lights.

I should point out I bought old stock and quite a bit of it, hence the discount. Needs quite a bit of elbow grease to get them looking good. I think the new stock will cost a little bit more but still a good price for teak. Also, I've been back there 4 times over the past two days trying to get a good quality, straight, 180cm cross beam for the front door. Check the quality of whats available and what can be ordered.
Galee

Return to material prices & building costs