Sliding Exterior Doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Sliding Exterior Doors

Postby alexthai » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:21 pm

To maximize the area of a 3.5m x 3.5m outside, covered balcony, we plan on going with wooden sliding doors. Some have told us to be careful because 'they don't last forever' and that 'sliding them becomes difficult after a while.' We wonder if it's because people don't maintain them? If anyone here has experience with them, please do tell. They fit with the concept of our house better than the aluminum doors would. I attached a picture of one of the models. Thanks.
Attachments
DSC06824.JPG
alexthai

Re: Sliding Exterior Doors

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 am

alexthai,
alexthai wrote:If anyone here has experience with them, please do tell.

I have both sliding wooden doors and sliding glass doors. The wooden doors are internal and used to maximise space. Installation is simple and easy and as long as you use the right material (I used Hafele available from HomePro Thai Watsadu etc) and installed it within a reasonable time. There is no maintenance as the casters are roller bearings. There are four ball race's in each caster and you'll need two for each door. They are mounted above the door in an aluminum channel that is affixed to the frame of the door. On the floor there is a guide that runs along the centre bottom of the door, to stop the door from "flapping" "swinging" in and out and is screwed into the floor.
You'll probably find the doors that had/have problems have cheap Chinese bearings, or, Thais (and sometimes farangs) have tried to open the door the conventional way and thrown out channel used to guide the bearings, distorted the channel or something equally as simple.
I did not use the sliding wooden doors as external doors, I had enough problems with normal closing wooden doors because of the expansion/contraction and don't believe you could get the right seal with sliding doors, especially at the bottom, but there are ways around that, which I might add I haven't explored.
Sometimewoodworker should be able to help there.
Roger Ramjet

Postby alexthai » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Many thanks. As these doors won't have prolonged sunlight on them and little rain (just humidity) maybe it will increase the life of them. Also, we will ask about the bearings and parts. Maybe even put a sign on them to "SLIDE DON'T PUSH!" Thanks so much. Oh, they quoted us 18,000 Baht (door and frame) before any type of haggling. What do you think of the price?
alexthai

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:21 pm

alexthai,
I think 18,000 baht is a very reasonable price depending on the type of wood, but then I got royally screwed when I bought mine, so I wouldn't trust what I say about wooden doors.
I originally had these at 30,000 roughly.
Attachments
Two%20hours%20later%20both%20doors%20in.jpg
These replaced the wooden doors and I have no problem with them at all.
Two%20hours%20later%20both%20doors%20in.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 930 times
frint%20door%20handles%20installed.jpg
This was my front door, but after it rained a few times, not only couldn't I open them, water streamed into the house. Then when the sun hit them they had a huge gap between them.
frint%20door%20handles%20installed.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Roger Ramjet

Postby alexthai » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 am

Re: The wooden door... We haven't seen wood of that grain or color sold in Thailand. Do you what type of wood that is or where it came from?
alexthai

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:44 am

alexthai,
alexthai wrote:We haven't seen wood of that grain or color sold in Thailand.

It came from Laos and it was very heavy light coloured wood, that's about all I can tell you about it. The lady who runs/owns the door company (which we'll never use again) claimed it had been weathered and showed us samples, which appeared to my amateur eye to be okay, but the whole lot were/are a problem, not only in installation, but also because she changed the original stained glass designs I chose to ones she thought I might have wanted (which I didn't). The whole thing is/was a nightmare and we'll have to replace most of them.
To be honest, my experience with wood is limited to carpentry at school, Australian types of eucalyptus (gum trees) used in gate strainers and posts, and "give me the chainsaw" for firewood.
Roger Ramjet

Postby alexthai » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 am

Not in Roi-Et, is she?
alexthai

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:01 am

alexthai,
No she's in Nontharburi just near Muang Thong Thani.
Roger Ramjet

Postby ClarkeDonald » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Basically people prefer to have sliding window and doors in their home since it compliment your home as well as easy to install and no maintenance. :D

<Many thanks for your input - promotional link removed - mod>
ClarkeDonald

Postby alexthai » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 pm

This is how it came out. They just recently stained it and started to prime the walls. Comments welcome.
Moderator - Are you ok with me uploading pics to these threads or should I do it through the albums? Thanks.

<As they are sliding exterior doors then they are fine here ... thanks for asking - mod>
Attachments
DSC07979.jpg
DSC07983.jpg
alexthai

Return to windows and doors