Alu frame on wood frame ?

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Alu frame on wood frame ?

Postby Sunpax » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to put aluminium profil on the wood frame ???

my wood windows are so bad install that i need to redone that also ....but ! I think will be difficult to remove the wood frame from the walls !

Like i have already said in others threads...I don't have any wood skill worker here

Thanks
Sunpax

Re: Alu frame on wood frame ?

Postby pattayapope » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Sunpax should be no problem but it depends on the profile of the frame, a picture would help to give some advice :D [*]
pattayapope

Postby Sunpax » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Will be nice to post a picture...but :( my camera is dead ! and due to the little dive from the CHF !!! (from 34 b to 31 bahts in 2 months !!! ) and that in the 4 months must renew my visa...I prefer to don't do any not necessary expenses :((

well , it is the traditional wood windows frame... I think the same all around Thailand , the only thing its, that in my home the windows open inside

ps...I hope that after july I will post plenty of pictures...many things need to be done . finish or redone !!!

the house has begin in june 2o11...and will be finish ..............one day....lolll

Thanks
Sunpax

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:56 pm

A picture would help, but all the installers need is a SQUARE frame to put their window into. If the wood frame itself is O.K. and you can live with the constant painting, they could just screw their frame into it. Other wise the frame is taken out, the opening rendered square and the Alloy frame screwed into the opening using plugs. Get several quotes for what you want to make sure of what's a fair price.
Mike Judd

Postby Sunpax » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Windows frame are not square !!! need to be profil to close the windows !!!

I have in my house also aluminium windows !!! 1 x 1.80 x 4 m and 1.80 x 3 m....+ one balcony door 2 m x 2.2m...and the profil sound empty,

I forget to precise that I don't want any sliding things because the Windows are small : 1 m x 0.60 m and 1m x 1m .

I will prefer swing window ! if possible....by anyway i don't want to have a big mess with concrete again !!! so I am very limited .
Sunpax

Postby sirineou » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:46 pm

square or not, it does not matter, alum windows can be installed on wood frames, in fact it is easier to install them on wood frames. Back in the US we do it all the time, when we do replacement windows.
if the wood frame is not square the problem can be rectified with shims.
The exposes wood frame can be easily covered with aluminum flashing by the window installer to mach the rest of the alum, window.
of course the wood frame will make the window opening smaller
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Sunpax » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Thank you Sirineou,

I was thinking also that the windows will be smaller....doesn't matter..one is in the guess bathroom and one in the guess room who has also an other window !

But is it possible to have alu swing one ? (not sliding)
Sunpax

Postby sirineou » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Sunpax wrote:Thank you Sirineou,

I was thinking also that the windows will be smaller....doesn't matter..one is in the guess bathroom and one in the guess room who has also an other window !

But is it possible to have alu swing one ? (not sliding)

I am not sure if they are available in Thailand , but they are called casement windows
if you are not sure of the name show then the picture.
For the bathroom you might want to consider an awning window if available
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Sunpax » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Sorry..yes its exactly that : "casement" !

Thanks again....will be nice if others members can tell me if I can find that here ?
Sunpax

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:54 pm

Go to any local window manufacture with your measurements and ask them to give you a quote. I have casement windows and can see no reason why they can't be installed on a wood frame. Most windows installed in homes here are custom made to fit the wonky openings left by most builders. You can buy ready made windows from the large building shops but most don't go that way and would be no good for you.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Return to windows and doors