My building story:

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

My building story:

Postby jomoblues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Test attachment of house plans.

JoMo
Attachments
per04.jpg
Per00.jpg
Per05-6.jpg
jomoblues

Re: My building story:

Postby jomoblues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:35 pm

OK I've worked out how to upload pics--- but I think I need to resize.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:14 pm

A little background:

We bought the land about 7 years ago, although at that time we hadn't decided where we would eventually settle, but as we noticed land prices were steadily increasing, we thought it would be a good investment even if we didn't build on it. We paid 600k for the land with full chanote. It's actually measures 42 meters wide by 162 meters long--- so slightly more than 4 rai.

Jan's family live in Suwanakuha, which is about 90kms away and as you might imagine they are rice farmers. Her father is 82 and her mother in her mid 70's but thankfully they are low maintenance parents, although we do provide some financial support. Jan isn't into family politics and has little contact with her siblings, preferring to live a quiet life, which suits me fine. Singapore, where we live is wonderful but will be too expensive in retirement and as I'm 60 and ready to slow down we've decided to make the move this July.

I'm sure the house will be too big for our requirements as there are only the two of us, but as I mentioned on my 'introduce yourself' posting, it took 3 years to reach an agreement on the design of the house, so we'll just have to cope with it for now. The immediate area around us is open rice fields and scrub land with a village dam of sorts opposite, so I'm hoping that we won't be completely surrounded by houses on all sides in the future.

I'll try to post a couple of pics of the land. It's nothing special but I'm confident that we can make it habitable and homely in the future.
JoMo.
Attachments
UDON THANI 001.jpg
102_1764.JPG
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 am

I'm including copies of the floor plans should anyone be interested in reviewing them. (I hope I do a better job with these than the others I've posted so far!!)
We had a full set of engineering/ construction drawings completed by an UTH architect for Baht 40k, which I thought was quite a good price. He allowed us to make several revisions and once finalized he supplied a full set of originals with approval chop, two sets of 'working copies', plus soft copies and 3d interiors. My wife conducted the price negotiations, as she's much better at that sort of thing than I am, plus I don't speak much Thai. Just a thought--If anyone is in need of a fair and competent local architect I'll be happy to send you details by email. I have no vested interest nor am I recommending him but I know how difficult it was for me to find someone to work with, and he was great with us-- that's all.

Just to give you an idea of the orientation of the house in relation to our plot; the front of the house will face due west and we are stepping it back from the front property line by 29 meters, and by 9 meters from the south side wall. We have yet to work out (agree) where to put the garage and out buildings so we didn't want it sat front and centre. As the plot is roughly 42 meters by 162 meters, we intend to build a wall around the front two rai and just fence the back two. There's an asphalt road out front and overhead electricity cables, plus I'm told there is mains water supply although we intend to dig a well as a secondary supply, just in case the town supply is unreliable. There are rice fields, scrub land to the north and south side and a dirt track along the eastern property line.

JoMo
Attachments
img-128091526.pdf
(53.46 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
img-128091553.pdf
(36.47 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
jomoblues

Postby merry-terry » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Ho jomo, its almost two months now ! How's the build coming along ? anymore photo's ?
merry-terry

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:23 am

Hi Jomo ! Your land is similar to mine in size near Khon Kaen, I ended up building well back from the road to keep the traffic noise down. Your Architect seems reasonable for all the stuff he gave you, although it does look like a typical Thai mansion which shouldn't be a problem for your builders as long as you vet their previous work first . The land was a good price as well, I paid B450,000 for ours about 9 years ago, plus the same to fill it all up to road level. At 60 you have 22 yrs longer than me to get it all done, so good luck ! Mike.
Mike Judd

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:51 am

Well, after 8 months without an update, I'm pleased to say that we are actually in the process of building at last.

As I mentioned in the 'introduce yourself' section we intended to retire and move to Thailand in July and that we did. However the plan to have the builder lined up didn't actually go to plan, and of course July is not the ideal month in which to commence a building project anyway due to it being in the middle of the rainy season. But it gave us time to move into our rental home, receive our furniture from Singapore, buy a car, get a local driving license and all the usual hygiene factors that you have to work through when moving from one country to another.

We visited our land and although we had previously prepared it,, as you would expect it had reverted to scrub so first job was to clear all the regrowth away. Stupidly I thought me, the wife and a couple of 'pressed' assistants could make a start on it. I mean, what else was I going to do with all this time I now had on my hands? :oops: One day was enough, so we called in a team to do it properly.
jan at our land.jpg
Wife at the ready
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:59 am

Although the land was saturated and very difficult to work, we pressed on on the better days. The hired team were happy for the work so just making sure that we didn't upset anyone by haveing too much mud drag down onto the road we scraped away the scrub and felled the trees and pushed all of it onto the back of our property. We have 4 and a bit rai, and we are concentrating on the front two at this time.
Attachments
20130827_102205.jpg
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:02 am

Having trouble loading more than one photograph at a time, and I have resized. I'll work it out later.
Attachments
20130727_103544.jpg
jomoblues

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:10 am

You shouldn't be having to re-size unless your originals are massive as the software now does the job for you ... this pic is 1600 x 1067 and 545KB

King Cobra eggs.jpg

And this one 1114 x 796 and 2344KB

big-trees-photoD_swanson-measure_2012-05b.jpg

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:14 am

Once we'd actually cleared away most of the scrub it was evident that the soil had settled quite considerably from the time we initially built up the level around 5 or 6 years ago.
Attachments
20130727_102550.jpg
20130727_102132.jpg
our pressed assistants
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks for the info, MGV12.
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:30 am

My wife and I decided that we would raise the soil level to an even 1.2 meters across the front two rai; which is the area we intend to utilise as house and garden and enclose within a wall. Initially we had put on a meter but it had compacted to about 80cms. So she negotiated a price of Baht 1,000 per 10 wheel truck for decent soil that wasn't salty. Where we are at Nongnakham, the water and soil are salty, so to obtain decent fill it required the soil to be trucked in from several kms away. But, OK we were happy with the price, so again we agreed to do the work weather permitting in and amongst the rainy days.

I had a couple of trips back to Singapore to manage the handover and induction of my replacement and Jan managed the project back here.
Attachments
20131007_154918.jpg
Spread the load
jan sorting out the boys.jpg
Jan keeping note of the loads
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:43 am

We actually had 176 loads this time, and added to what had put down in 2007 we have had 424 10 wheel truck loads in total. Total cost for the entire fill is around Baht350k. We now have an even 1.2 meters slopping slightly from back to front to assist with drainage, but I'll address the issue of drainage properly as the build progresses.

We are both pleased with the final appearance of the site.
Attachments
20131010_145901.jpg
and ready for the serious stuff
finished - Copy.jpg
Finished
jomoblues

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 am

jomoblues wrote:My wife and I decided that we would raise the soil level to an even 1.2 meters across the front two rai; which is the area we intend to utilise as house and garden and enclose within a wall.

Be careful with the wall about keeping easy access to the rest of your land. We bought 2 rai put in a wall then got another 2 rai on 2 sides and will now have to cut access to it.
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to Your Building Story