Price for timber

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Price for timber

Postby kohrafael » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi guys

I am about to build small bungalow with one floor (on pillars). It will have 30 m2 internal area and 10m2 terrace.
Can you tell me approx how much I will spend for timber?
Structural rafters, roof battens, external and internal skin made with planks, wooden floor, door, 4 windows
I looking for cheap but good solution....

:-)
kohrafael

Re: Price for timber

Postby pattayapope » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

These days you cannot build a cheap wooden house, wood suitable for a house is very expensive, I looked at some pre-built small houses a few years back and the were more than 1 million Baht and were very small. Your best chance to buy cheap wood is if you can buy an old Thai wooden house and take it down and use this for your build. These can sometimes be bought for about 50 to 100,000 baht but you need to take it apart.

Read the post by Lazylanna who built a wooden house in the building story section

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3170
pattayapope

Postby kohrafael » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 am

well if bungalow is about 30m2 and made with "NO teak" it shouldn't be 100k ? What type of wood
is commonly used in Thailand for construction works? Is any gov spec in regard to structural timber dimensions?
And... how to obtain from government licence for cutting trees in forest? Is it limited to some companies or gov bodies?

Raf
kohrafael

Postby thaicbr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50 pm

i think you will find that for decent wood its expensive.. steel is cheaper.. maybe look at a steel frame then sherawood fake wood cladding.
big_20110513160313.jpg

These are called knockdown houses in Thailand and come ready built with roof, toilet and electrics from about 190,000b for 4x5.5

Also for your last question..... what forests... very few and far between in Thailand.
thaicbr

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 am

kohrafael wrote:Hi guys

I am about to build small bungalow with one floor (on pillars). It will have 30 m2 internal area and 10m2 terrace.
Can you tell me approx how much I will spend for timber?
Structural rafters, roof battens, external and internal skin made with planks, wooden floor, door, 4 windows
I looking for cheap but good solution....

:-)

From the form of your question it looks as though you come from America. And you're assuming that the American style of building is used in Thailand. Cheap and good in America may be wood but it certainly isn't the case in Thailand. Cheap and good in Thailand involves concrete, steel and a very rare resource good compitant builders :lol: . You can get pressure treated wood in Thailand but it's not a very common building material.

If you have a look through the site you'll find all the information you need.

There is good inexpensive wood and termites love you for providing it.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:38 am

Look at the prices in lumber yards and I suspect you will find "cheap" won't be part of this build. The more I learn about wood the more I see there is something really wrong with the pricing model in Thailand. Legal plantation teak trees are 1000 baht / ea. Yet you generally can't buy an arbitrary piece of lumber for that price. Or heaven forbid a small cabinet or even an end table. Any of these things needs less than 100 baht of materials from that tree--and that's for teak! In a land where labor is so cheap ($1/hr) it is very strange how the price goes up exponentially as wood is processed; much higher than developed countries.

In my area rafters are typically made from mai daeng (a tropical red hardwood) or steel. Mostly Thai's use fake wood products for the other things--combinations of colored plastic or cement based that look sort of like wood, but plainly aren't. You will see all sorts of these things at building stores. It looks tacky to me, but most people are only too happy to trade the natural beauty and feel of wood for a better price and other advantages to boot.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 am

canopy wrote:Look at the prices in lumber yards and I suspect you will find "cheap" won't be part of this build. The more I learn about wood the more I see there is something really wrong with the pricing model in Thailand. Legal plantation teak trees are 1000 baht / ea. Yet you generally can't buy an arbitrary piece of lumber for that price. Or heaven forbid a small cabinet or even an end table. Any of these things needs less than 100 baht of materials from that teak tree. In a land where labor is so cheap ($1/hr) it is very strange how the price goes up exponentially as wood is processed; much higher than developed countries.

While I agree with the point that cheap and wood are never together in Thailand. You are getting confused about the correlation between the cost of a tree when felled and the price charged for wood in a timber yard.

The first point is that if you can get more than 50% of good wood from the tree you are doing very well. Then comes the cost of recovery and processing. After that comes the cost of years of storage to air dry the wood or the fuel to kiln dry it. Then comes the fact that in Thailand there is only a small market for wood so the price reflects that

All of these mean that. In any country the cost of the green tree is a small factor in the cost of the final wood you buy.

So where you get the idea that ฿100 of finished wood goes into anything bigger than a pen I'm not sure.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 am

My observation is lumber is not kiln dried in Thailand. It is sold green. It is also not graded--lumber yards have just one stack of each type of dimension and compound defects are typical. In such cases, lumber should cost peanuts as I pointed out since the processing is so minimal and labor so cheap. For furniture I would hope there is drying involved whether it be simply aged or kiln dried though it appears even here this isn't assured as it is common to see doors and windows with gaps. I see no justification that a puny little cabinet with a hardwood face and particle board inside costs 3000 baht. I find it cheaper and better quality to just do all woodworking myself.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 pm

canopy wrote:My observation is lumber is not kiln dried in Thailand.

Usually it isn't however If you read Thai, I don't but SWMBO can of course, you will find that in a recent Thai invoice they list kiln dried wood.

It is sold green.

That may often be true. However one of my local timber yards will tell me if it is, though I use a moisture meter to check for my self. Most of their wood is dry. I haven't asked if they have kiln dried wood as, like you, I thought it wasn't available in Thailand.

It is also not graded--lumber yards have just one stack of each type of dimension and compound defects are typical.

Again it depends on the yard you go to and the wood you are buying. one of my nearest yards has that kind of stack but they also have graded stacks. But in both cases I can pick through the boards and select the ones I want. They will also reject boards with splits in before even asking if I want them.

I often get at least one face planed and have had the yard reject a board that wasn't good enough after planing.

In such cases, lumber should cost peanuts as I pointed out since the processing is so minimal and labor so cheap. For furniture I would hope there is drying involved whether it be simply aged or kiln dried though it appears even here this isn't assured as it is common to see doors and windows with gaps.
Very true you can also get free woodworm :roll:
I see no justification that a puny little cabinet with a hardwood face and particle board inside costs 3000 baht.
I'm with you there
I find it cheaper and better quality to just do all woodworking myself.

"cheaper" no
"better quality" yes
"woodworking myself" you may have seen that I do that too.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Makmak456 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

Don't forget to factor in the cost of good quality ele tools too.
I was in a local (Jomtien) TOA shop that has mostly tools and a Bosch
compound miter saw had a price sticker of 16K B .......
Makmak456

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Makmak456 wrote:Don't forget to factor in the cost of good quality ele tools too.
I was in a local (Jomtien) TOA shop that has mostly tools and a Bosch
compound miter saw had a price sticker of 16K B .......

The prices of tools is similar to the UK prices, if you remember that there is a minimum of 30% import duty added.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby geordie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Not if you sneak them into a container? ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jazzman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:51 am

There truly is not much price difference between Thailand and the UK on quality power tools especially when considering using up one's cattle-class 30 Kg baggage allowance to get them here, plus the fact that Thai service/grantee agents are reluctant to repair anything that was not purchased in Thailand - unless the products come with a world-wide warranty. Let's not forget also that even the leading brands are now mostly assembled in China.
Off topic, however, I recently paid a total of around 50% customs duty including clearance fees on some electrical accessories (push-in connectors, RCCBs, MCBs, other DIN-rail stuff including timers and phase protectors, etc) that I had airfreighted from the UK. It still worked out - including the airfreight (7 days door to door) at a saving of about 30% on Thai retail prices. All the equipment was bought locally in the UK including VAT.
Not everyone is fortunate enough to fill a whole container - though I'm well aware that Thai customs do not inspect the entire load, if indeed they inspect it at all. My small shipment was not inspected and duty was calculated purely on the declaration - which of course included the international customs product codes. They therefore missed the 40 Mars Bars and 5 Kg of tea bags :mrgreen:
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Makmak456 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 am

We were quoted 3KB for just the frame for a thai style teak ? window (the wooden shutters, no glass or screens) The "shutter unit" was about 5KB extra.
Same thing in alum and 6mm glass was 3.5-4 K TBH custom fitted to the window by a local shop.
Makmak456

Postby jazzman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 am

Wood is very expensive here - alone the formwork in 'cheap' wood to make the ground beams and columns for a 100 m2 house can cost around baht 40,000, the planks are then used for general building tasks such as rollways for wheelbarrows, and making bocks. It's generally useless after the build.
Most of the new traditional wooden Thai houses you see in villages nowadays are not made with walls of teak planks, but with Shera™ or Conwood™ planks with fake grain. It come pre-pigmented in several colours.

Wooden window frames in teak may well cost around baht 3,000, but standard wooden window frames should be available for Baht 450 - 750.

See more on windows at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/origCTH/infowindowdoor.htm
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Next

Return to material prices & building costs