Rule of Law

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Rule of Law

Postby unclezillion » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:00 pm

I was reading a 2008 post about incompetent lawyers and read the following!

Contrary to popular belief Thailand is a country based on the rule of law.

A statement such as quoted above can only be made by someone who has absolutely no idea
about how the Thai system works. :lol: :lol:
unclezillion

Re: Rule of Law

Postby Makmak456 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:52 pm

The golden rule in thailand, who has the gold makes the rules. Up to and including murder. Rule of law my ass :)
Makmak456

Postby sirineou » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:28 pm

corruption exists in every country and exhibits it's self in different ways . In some countries corruption leads to invading countries and killing hundred of thousands of people on the name of profit, in others an underpaid cop extorts a couple of hundreds of baht for an imaginary or real infraction, who's to say what is better or worst?
IMHO Thailand is worst than some, but better than other, all and all a great place to be ,with relative security under the law.
Mind you , I only live here part of the time.
I just finished watching a three part BBC documentary about India ,on Youtube, I hope it is available in Thailand
very interesting documentary, compared to India,Thailand look like Switzerland.

I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Shastadad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am

According to my TG, if there is no cop present there is no law

A better explanation was found in a book banned here in Thailand that states that since Thailand is a Buddhist country many Thais don't believe in the law in this life since all will be taken care of in the next life......
Shastadad

Postby pipoz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:09 pm

The two ways -examples to best define Corruption, are the

1.World Banking System

2.Wall Street and the USA Corporate Bodies. Who needs better examples than that of, Worldcom (where no one ever gets charged with theft) or Enron (where the only ones to get charged, still get to keep most of their assets within the State of TEXAS)
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:25 pm

This may be of interest to some people with "cousins". http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... s-returned
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Wed May 01, 2013 12:41 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:This may be of interest to some people with "cousins". http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... s-returned

Interesting, but I bet that 11 Mill Baht or 40 Mill Baht, is long gone and or well spent on other properties in another name, or burried in the backyard of the cousins house.

I rate his chances of getting any money back at 0.001%.

If mum has it, she will donate some to the judge that rules over the case :shock:
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 am

pipoz,
Mum has some of the money which she took illegally for herself after she sold assets. The judgement was both the farang and the mother jointly administer the sale of assets and both have access to the daughter. The farang so far has seen neither money nor daughter.
I've actually been to one of these courts when a Japanese friend (who tried to resign for three years) was eventually sacked. The court is actually very fair once you get them on side (evidence) and once they make a ruling that both parties sign, then they do become very annoyed at the slightest deviation from their ruling.
Here's another first for Thailand, I read they are setting up a Tourist Court that will fast track charges against people involved in crime against tourists.
Unfortunately I have this sinking feeling there may be another bloody coup before then.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Nawty » Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Hope so, getting boring around here.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 am

Is there a law? http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... indictment and he's already paid 3 million to police so the prosecutors must be waiting in line with open arms.
I am rather amazed he was clocked at 170 KPH (or is that MPH) on Sathorn Road, the best I can get to is about 20 KPH..... but that's only 1,000 baht.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Is there a law? http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... indictment and he's already paid 3 million to police so the prosecutors must be waiting in line with open arms.
I am rather amazed he was clocked at 170 KPH (or is that MPH) on Sathorn Road, the best I can get to is about 20 KPH..... but that's only 1,000 baht.

They said June 19 but didn't mention which year :roll:

If he wasn't so drunk he could have claimed he was trying out the suitability of possible routes for the 2015 F1 Grand Prix

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm

MGV12 wrote:If he wasn't so drunk he could have claimed he was trying out the suitability of possible routes for the 2015 F1 Grand Prix

I believe he may have been taking a certain white powder as well. I recall a real investigative journalist (not Thai) actually looked into the case and there could have been about 20 real charges.
Perhaps it will come down to just one or two charges in the end (Military Police hat on) accidental death ... both were testing the track for the Moto and F1 Grand Prix's.....and speeding, 1000 baht fine.
But I bet he gets a suspended sentence to be on good behavior for 3 years.
We should start a raffle to see who can guess the charges and then the punishment? But what would be the first prize?
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I am rather amazed he was clocked at 170 KPH (or is that MPH) on Sathorn Road, the best I can get to is about 20 KPH

I lived on Sathorn Road and most nights the 3 kilometre stretch between Banyan Tree and Narathiwat was a racetrack with motorbikes testing their acceleration and supercars racing. Living on the 28th floor the sound was amazing. :D I have also seen helmet-cam videos of this.
fredlk

Return to Life in Thailand