Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby scudman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 pm

I came to Thailand, Bangkok specifically, to work around 1995 and over time came to love the country and it's people. While working here I fell in love with a Thai woman working in Bangkok, who happened to be born and raised in Phuket. We traveled to her hometown, met her family and I decided that when I retired, that Phuket is where I wanted to spend my retirement. After moving back to the US, we married. While on a vacation trip one year to Phuket, we spotted a former rice paddy up for sale and ended up buying 1 rai of land. Fast forward 12 years and here we are. We have been here almost 4 years now. We sold some holdings in the US (been waiting for property values to bounce back a bit) and now have some cash to begin.
Last year I managed to get someone onto the land to get it partially filled in with about 1.5 m of soil. I think I will need another 1.5 meters to finish off the fill to bring it up to the surrounding area and provide the final access road level.
My plan at the moment is to build a 2 bd 2 ba single story main house with a couple of guest cottages separate from the main house and each other. The main house and the guest cottages will be built up off ground level by about 1 meter and the ground will all slope to 2 property boundaries for rain water drainage.
I plan to document our experience here as so many before me have done, for the benefit of others following and for the folks back home who have been waiting patiently to be invited over to stay for a bit. I hope to be able to contribute something to the CTH forum as well.
We plan to begin the process in earnest next month and by this time next year be in our new home.
scudman

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby fredlk » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:10 pm

scudman wrote:I plan to document our experience here as so many before me have done

I, among others look forward to reading your story as it unfolds and be prepared for some criticism as is the nature of forums. On coolthaihouse it's mostly quite civil. Good luck.
fredlk

Postby scudman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:47 pm

fredlk wrote:
scudman wrote:I plan to document our experience here as so many before me have done

I, among others look forward to reading your story as it unfolds and be prepared for some criticism as is the nature of forums. On coolthaihouse it's mostly quite civil. Good luck.

Thanks Fred....I have a pretty thick skin so it should not be a problem.

I thought I would throw up a few pics of our plot of land to get the ball rolling as they say.
before.jpg
There are 3 rai from the water close to the houses in back. Our 1 rai is the first rai in front here by the water. Access however is at the back.

during.jpg
Our plot is at the far end from this side. Had to build an 60 meter road to get there from here. Putting down dirt and broken concrete as fill to displace some of the water better.

after.jpg
our 1 rai filled with about 1 meter of dirt on top of .5 meter of busted up concrete. The other 2 rai got .5 meters of concrete and .5 meters of dirt for now just to keep them relatively dry.
scudman

Postby Drand10 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:47 pm

You are in Phuket. What's your estimated cost / SM to build this home? Just wanting to compare vs. BKK / Chiang Mai and other places. Thx.
Drand10

Postby barney » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:44 am

Hello scudman

Beautiful pictures and thanks for share your story.
I also start to build in phuket and have a similar sort of situation.
I was wondering if you are going to build a dam or wall to your plot and how will you do that.
Also I saw that you use construction waste (kiepoon) can you still use piles into the ground.

What did you pay per kube for your earth, because it's beautiful earth.

Thanks in advance

Barney
barney

Postby pipoz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:32 am

scudman wrote:I came to Thailand, Bangkok specifically, to work around 1995 and over time came to love the country and it's people. While working here I fell in love with a Thai woman working in Bangkok, who happened to be born and raised in Phuket. We traveled to her hometown, met her family and I decided that when I retired, that Phuket is where I wanted to spend my retirement. After moving back to the US, we married. While on a vacation trip one year to Phuket, we spotted a former rice paddy up for sale and ended up buying 1 rai of land. Fast forward 12 years and here we are. We have been here almost 4 years now. We sold some holdings in the US (been waiting for property values to bounce back a bit) and now have some cash to begin.

Congradulations, I would say your investment 12 years ago in a rice paddy in Phuket, was a very smart decission

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi Drand, I don't really have an estimated cost yet as the final design has not been completed. I only have my ideas and a few sketches I have done using Sketch-Up. I have a budget of 6M baht, so I will see if I can get what I want for that. I believe material and possibly labor are going to be higher in Phuket. I would think it will be even higher a bit than Pattaya, but CM should, I would think be less.

pipoz,
Yes, it seems I did something right. Land prices here have skyrocketed in the past 12 years.
scudman

Postby scudman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:42 pm

barney wrote:Hello scudman

Beautiful pictures and thanks for share your story.
I also start to build in phuket and have a similar sort of situation.
I was wondering if you are going to build a dam or wall to your plot and how will you do that.
Also I saw that you use construction waste (kiepoon) can you still use piles into the ground.

What did you pay per kube for your earth, because it's beautiful earth.

Thanks in advance

Barney

Barney,
I am wondering about that as well. I think it will have to be a true reinforced retaining wall to keep the fill from escaping the plot, at least on 2 (the wet two) sides. I used some broken concrete as fill for the bottom layer. (Pun I think they called it.)
I am a novice at this so I will have to rely on the engineers to tell me what I need for foundation support. If it needs to have piles driven or bored into the ground, I will probably get a back hoe out there to dig down and remove the pun where the piles/columns need to go. For the fill, I paid 1000/1100 baht per 6 wheel truck for din and pun (dirt or concrete). It ended up costing me 600,00 baht just to fill my 1 rai to where it is now. The dirt is the common red clay so prevalent here on Phuket. When it rains, it get really sticky and is awful to work with as it is mostly clay. I will probably, no I will, put on another .5 meter of real topsoil before we move in and landscape which is more than likely a year from now.
scudman

Postby twin efx » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 am

OK i'm on, I cant wait for the house party.
twin efx

Postby scudman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Floor Plan.png
I have been working on the floor plan and think it is about 90% there. Going to look in earnest for an architect next week.
scudman

Postby scudman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Floor plan is coming along nicely. Added walls, windows, door and some fixtures to try to visualize some scale. Going to start on the roof plan in a day or so.
Attachments
top NE.png
Top SW.png
Top NW.png
Top E.png
scudman

Postby splitlid » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 pm

nice start, your land isnt on a slope so why have the steps to the pool area?
also why the gap between the buildings?
and finally, poor people who are going to be staying in those bedrooms, turn the beds to face the pool and put some big sliding doors opening out to the pool.
just a start.
:D
splitlid

Postby scudman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 pm

The main house and the guest cottages are up off ground level by 2 feet, hence the steps. The idea behind that is access to the plumbing/termite system and so forth for ease of repair and maintenance. The gaps between buildings act as breezeways. I did not want to block the prevailing winds. Yeah I thought of turning the beds around, but who lays on a bed in a bedroom to look at the pool? Bedrooms are for sleeping and other good stuff. I think I have plenty of lounging areas if someone wants lay about in the shade and look at the pool.
scudman

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:27 am

After designing and building a U shaped house to catch every breeze possible ,plus plenty of roof ventilation ,the only change I would consider if doing it again, and wanting more rooms ,would be to build a house in a H shape. Obviously if one is an Air-condition fan it doesn't matter so much and insulation is more important. But with-out Air-con those dead end rooms off of corridors get so hot with little air flow. Only my opinion of course.!
Mike Judd

Postby splitlid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 am

glad to see that some thought has been put into it.
just remember that you will probably have a 400mm beam and 100mm floor slab, so a total of 500mm, giving you only 100mm below the beams for access under the house if you raise it only 2ft.so some consideration for this will be needed.
im not 100% convinced a long 2 meter tunnel is going to allow prevailing winds to flow through, especially once a boundary wall is errected(if one is going to be).
splitlid

Next

Return to Your Building Story