Concrete mix ratios by volume

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Concrete mix ratios by volume

Postby thailazer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 am

Curious as to what volume ratio folks are using for sidewalks, etc. Most of the online calculators are by weight. How many pails of sand do you use for a single pail of cement? If you add gravel, how many pails of sand and gravel to a level pail of cement?
thailazer

Re: Concrete mix ratios by volume

Postby cooked » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Uo to you, but there is no point in wasting cement. For sidewalks I might use 200 Kg cement per Meter Cube of aggregate. Mind you in Europe I would add steel mesh as well.
I found a nice calculator at http://www.cashbuild.co.za/Concrete_Cal ... n_Site.php As you say, by weight, which is completely useless for Fred.
I use for my reinforced walling (as I am mixing by hand, I tend to use more cement than necessary): 4 shovels of aggregate, two of Sand then 1 of cement. You could do this using a bucket if you want to be more precise.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby canopy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 am

This question has a very easy answer. Simply look at the back of the bag. All cement manufacturers in Thailand I know of have pictures on the back of what mix to use for each purpose complete with water quantity and all is expressed in number of buckets (volume) which is what you want.

Also make sure you select the proper type of sack. Concrete for pouring is called "boon tay" and often has a blue label.
canopy

Postby thailazer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 am

Thank You to both. I've handled dozens of these bags and never looked on the bag. Son of a gun, there it is right there!

Trying to use up a few left over bags of Tiger brand Super Cement in the green bags.
thailazer

Postby billgate123 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:21 pm

<Spam from Pakistan removed - mod>
billgate123

Return to cement, concrete and mortar