AAC Blocks

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

AAC Blocks

Postby MH2 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I'm out of order here. I am building a new home and plan to use AAC blocks for the walls. I did a forum search for "Q-con" since that is apparently the most common local provider of AAC block and the search turned up "0" results. A further manual search of the forum turned up a couple of threads with "Q-con" in the subject line. Go figure.

Anyway, none of the threads provided an answer to my questions about price and availability. I thought it might be best to start a new thread.

An architect I originally engaged estimated a cost of over 500,000 THB for AAC blocks for my build (162 sqm). I came across an old post mentioning 27 THB per block, but there was no mention of size. The architect's quote worked out to 92 THB per block. This is a huge difference.

Can anyone provide a price for 20cm Q-con (it muan bow) blocks? Source? Contact? Any comments regarding installation issues or related info would be much appreciated.
MH2

Re: AAC Blocks

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 pm

MH2,
Q-Con blocks are the brand name for "superblock/s", they are supposed to be superior to the other brands, but to be honest I found no difference.
My house is over 400 ++ square metres and is all superblock. The cost for Q-Con is about 37+ baht and you must buy them through your local dealer. The other types of superblock can be bought directly through most building outlets for a little less. I used over 4,000 on my build: See here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=615
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:36 pm

I paid 45 Baht per 20x20x60 centimetre block 2 years ago.
fredlk

Postby sidney » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Try http://www.qcon.co.th The page will show everything in Thai language, but in the right top corner is a possibility to click on the English version.

In my thread "Building in Khukan/Sisaket" I wrote the following about Qcon prices:

Sometimes I doubt whether I get quoted the correct price for the real (Hebel) Qcon blocks.
-Tessaban have in their BOM/BOQ 24 baht
-Homemart carries only size 20x60x7.5 and quotes 24 baht/block (promotion) and says they are the real Qcon, not Thaicon or any other (lesser quality) brand. They are able to order bigger sizes.
-Thai Watsadu quotes (I asked specifically for quotes for Qcon, but it later turned out that they only carry Thaicon) 23 (20x60x7.5), 39 (20x60x10), 58 (20x60x15) and 77 (20x60x20).
-Local store in KhuKhan quotes 28 baht and were able to show me only the lesser quality Thaicon.

All in all I more or less figured out that they probably all quoted Thaicon prices, but letting customers believe that they are buying Qcon (which should have "Qcon" on the side imprinted on them, which I have only seen on blocks sold by a local trader in Sisaket).
sidney

Postby Maseratimartin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:59 am

I used ACC blocks in 7,5 / 10 / and 20 cm

Q-Con / Superblock / Thai Con are the brands I found in our area.

I finally bought Q-Con (Hebel Thailand) at Home Works.

In November 2012 I paid 70 bath per block of the 20cm ...77 without discount! (Earlier they were 65 bath)
The price is with delivery on site and unloading with crane!

Supply changes and you might just order on time.

Not everywhere Thais are familiar with building with the heavier 20cm ACC blocks. Most of them are not able to lift the stone alone...no joke!
That's why I build our walls myself.
Had once a discussion during a delivery when the crane guy thought he could do what is convinient for him.
I let him carry a stone from his unload place to where I needed them and afterwards they transfered load from a second truck to the truck with crane and placed it where I needed them ;) :wink:
Did I say that I choose a wet stone for the demonstration :twisted:

ACC blocks for me the only choice...great material!
Maseratimartin

Postby MGV12 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:
Not everywhere Thais are familiar with building with the heavier 20cm ACC blocks. Most of them are not able to lift the stone alone...no joke!

How was your back afterwards? :(

For general interest: As I mentioned in another thread somewhere ... you can build a 20cm wide [thus loadbearing] wall with any thickness of AAC block as you simply lay them on their side ... they are all 20cm tall. Thus getting over the "too heavy" objection. As 7.5cm are the most popular ... and therefore more likely to be at an attractive price ... you may find it works out cheaper per sq metre to use them. It will however take longer to lay so labour costs might counter any saving.

With the thin-bed laying system [using the special adhesive] you are also more likely to get a truly vertical wall with AAC! There doesn't appear to be any significant difference between the different brands of adhesive ... nor the render mix ... from what I have experienced ... so shop around.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:13 pm

I think I have mentioned it some where in another post, but the only ones I have found to be genuine Hebel quality blocks are Super-block and Q=con with both having their names stamped on them. They seem to vary greatly in price depending on availability / size and what area you live in. I bought 75m.m. last Xmas for B18 and 100m.m. for B24 If I were building again with them and wanting more insulation properties, I think I would go for double skin 75m.m. cavity out-side walls , with the sealed air space of 50m.m. between using stainless wall ties, giving one a very strong wall with the max insulation posible. Plus plenty of room for any service pipes. With the alternative block makes, maybe I have got it wrong but those D-blocks that I saw being used were rubbish, they broke in half just looking at them. Could have been an unlucky bad batch.?
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I think I have mentioned it some where in another post, but the only ones I have found to be genuine Hebel quality blocks are Super-block and Q=con with both having their names stamped on them.

The blocks I used were from PCC and are also warranted as being under Hebel license and to their specification. They also made them for CPAC ... some of our blocks actually had CPAC on one end and PCC on the other. Subsequently CPAC have either contracted for PCC's entire production [and sell them under their name] or brought out the factory/license ... therefore PCC no longer sell blocks directly. As PCC are Chiang Mai based it's quite possible nobody has heard of them outside of Chiang Mai Province. They are the only company I know that produce a range of 7.5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 30 wide blocks ... I assume there must be some demand for a 30cm wide block as otherwise they wouldn't produce it. Wouldn't fancy laying them myself as the 20cm version weighs 18Kg ... so the 30cm must be around 27Kg!!!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Maseratimartin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:58 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Maseratimartin wrote:

How was your back afterwards? :(

For general interest: As I mentioned in another thread somewhere ... you can build a 20cm wide [thus loadbearing] wall with any thickness of AAC block as you simply lay them on their side ... they are all 20cm tall. Thus getting over the "too heavy" objection. As 7.5cm are the most popular ... and therefore more likely to be at an attractive price ... you may find it works out cheaper per sq metre to use them. It will however take longer to lay so labour costs might counter any saving.

With the thin-bed laying system [using the special adhesive] you are also more likely to get a truly vertical wall with AAC! There doesn't appear to be any significant difference between the different brands of adhesive ... nor the render mix ... from what I have experienced ... so shop around.

The question about my back is a good one and indeed it made me realize that with 42 I'm not the youngest anymore :roll:
Just last trip when I finished the load bearing walls so that the roof could be build a rest day and relaxing day at the waterfalls and beach of Chantaburi was needed!
After that I just layed the first very important row of some interior walls (d=10cm) in a mortar bed and let my helpers do the rest under supervision.
I also told my guys that I prefer to lift a stone high up...rather than having to go in the knees....(not to build up the scaffolding to high!)

The advice with the thinner blocks and more rows to come to the same 20cm wall is in principle right, but does not consider one issue:
The ACC blocks are very exactly cut but still minor differences happen. This you will see after a few rows and sometimes even a slight grinding of steps might be a good choice.
Now with more rows the possibility of steps will increase...
In Germany we had for such issues a wood board with smal granulate glued on it what functions like a huge rasp.
With it you could grind away slight uneven areas and still get your straight wall without hazzle.
(With 30-40cm thick walls it is even more important!)
Generally working with the blocks is a job where you have to be very precise and check every block before laying for any sticking stone or similar....
Here some photos...:
laying blocks 1.jpg
Scaffolding in the right high helps...

laying blocks 2.jpg
This is no smile...it pain ;)

laying blocks 3.jpg
So easy my daughter can do it...

relax.jpg
This is what you need when done with the blocks!

Last some advice:
You may have see on the photos that when I had openings of approx 1m that it apears that I just layed the blocks through...
They received a 10x10 cm groove (cut out) and the space filled with concrete and 2 rebars 4 hun!
Only the longer openings got a 20x20 concrete beam with depending on length of opening rebar reinforcement.
Maseratimartin

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Q-Con will supply you with all the tools necessary including a 600m.m. long rasp board which has hundreds of steel points for taking out any slight imperfections that may occasionally turn up, or for smoothing a cut.
Mike Judd

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:05 pm

You are right Mike...that Q-Con does offer such tools...unfortunately whenever I asked at Home Mart for some of them the answer was always: Mei mi!

I ended up ordering from a toolshop in England a proper saw for example...as the thai version did not cut so well anymore after maybe 10 cuts.
The one from England (Diamond cut) cuts still like the first day.
Maseratimartin

Postby MGV12 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:You are right Mike...that Q-Con does offer such tools...unfortunately whenever I asked at Home Mart for some of them the answer was always: Mei mi!

I ended up ordering from a toolshop in England a proper saw for example...as the thai version did not cut so well anymore after maybe 10 cuts.
The one from England (Diamond cut) cuts still like the first day.

Wow ... expensive solution ... but at least it did what you needed it to.

We had a handsaw supplied by PCC [that only had about two teeth per inch] and did work although it was cumbersome to use ... however the workers found that an ordinary cheap handsaw did better. The far more effective and productive solution was a quality TCT [Tungsten Carbide Tipped] rotary saw blade ... ours was made in Germany [not 'German Quality' which is a fake]. For my 16" rotary saw [that we had set up as a bench saw] that did the trick for the entire house, plus all the eaves wood and much more since ... and still going strong ... cost something like 2400THB

MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 am

Well when I was doing my build last Xmas I finally managed to get the tool kit from the Q-Con Rep when he was in the Khon Kaen area. The big hand saw that they supply was O.K. but over priced when any cheap hand saw will do the job. I ended up using a Drop saw with a Tungsten blade, much quicker.The orange booklet from Q-Con is quite useful as it's in Thai for your workers, with everything you would want to know in it.
Mike Judd

Postby MH2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:03 am

I now have another AAC/Q-con question that I have not seen addressed here. The recommended way to finish exterior walls is to use a "breathable" stucco plaster. This means that although the stucco should repel water it will allow small amount of moisture trapped in the block to evaporate back out through the stucco layer. The recommendation for interior finishing is similar. The recommended finish is a breathable latex or mineral paint. I've also seen reference to breathable acrylics.

Apparently the reason for requiring "breathable" finishes is that all AAC block contains moisture (as high as 18%) when freshly produced and it takes several months for this moisture to dissipate even when the block is unfinished. If sealed, the moisture will lower the R-factor of the block and shorten its lifespan. I am now wondering how long I should wait before I can apply wall tile to the Q-con block in my bathrooms and kitchen. Obviously, wall tile is not "breathable". Anyone here ever dealt with this issue?

By the way, please correct me if I am not posting the way the forum moderator expects. I didn't mean to start a new thread, but I did not see any discussion of my specific questions in any other posts, and I didn't want to post to an inactive thread.
MH2

Postby fredlk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 am

MH2 wrote: how long I should wait before I can apply wall tile to the Q-con block in my bathrooms and kitchen.

It is not recommended to use Q-con in bathrooms. I have Q-con everywhere but the bathrooms are all built in red brick. Pattayapope has Q-con in his bathroom and has some issues with it.
fredlk

Next

Return to cement, concrete and mortar