Another Swimming Pool Build

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Another Swimming Pool Build

Postby Steve&mem » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 am

We have just started our DIY pool build here in Udon Thani, well not totaly DIY As it toooo much for this old timer.
We are now up to the boxing out the foundation, and the concrete will be poured later today. This 10x5 Pool has no proper plans just me sketching it up on a bit of paper. the guys doing the concrete and tile work will not do the pipe work or electric as they don't know how, so that my part of the job.
If any one is intrested I can post the pics as we go along.
I have one minor problem I have added a Spa to the corner of the pool and I am not sure of the plumbing for Spa's, I will have to do some googeling on that one. So all help and tips from you guys that have done one would be great.
Steve&mem

Re: Another Swimming Pool Build

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Seven years without a post ... so we must first welcome you back Steve .. glad you hung on in there. You are not the only 'lurker' from the UK ... 'we' can tend to be a bit like that! :lol:

Having been with us so long you will realise that pics is what CTH members live for ... so maybe you can set the ball rolling by posting where you are today and then take it from there.

Chok dee

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Steve&mem » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Here's the start, The JCB was 10,000 baht, thats to dig the hole and to shift the dirt round the front of the house.
Attachments
IMAG0414.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 pm

Now when the JCB had finished we had to dig by hand, thats when i found I am not as young as i used to be.
So off the wife goes and got a team in to do the work that I couldn't (note to self, at great expence) more on this later.
There's 16 pads for the foundation beam going in
Attachments
IMAG0455.jpg
IMAG0454.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:39 pm

These pads are 1 meter square and 25cm deep, reinforced with full size 12mm rebar.
After these where cast we levelled out the site and had the young lad of the team going round with a vibrating plate thingy.
He thought 20 minutes was enough but I soon put him right on that one
Attachments
IMAG0492.jpg
IMAG0489.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Today they are still knocking the shuttering together. They need to speed up a bit as the ready mix is on its way as I type.
For those that are interested these are the prices for the ready mix, I think they are graded by strength.
180 sten - 1560 Baht
210 sten - 1610 Bath
240 sten - 1660 Bath
280 sten - 1710 Bath
That’s per Cubic Meter also 50 baht more per cube for water proofer
Now my Thai is no good but it sounded like the lady down the ready mix shop called it Sten or it could have been strength when giving those prices so apologies if I got it wrong but the price per cube is correct as of today here in Udon.
Attachments
IMAG0516.jpg
IMAG0504.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby pattayapope » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Steve, good luck with the pool build I expect you are building something simalar to mine by the sound of it as dimensions are the same and I have a jacuzzi in the corner. Here are a couple of pictures of the plumbing and finished pool[*] :D

P8211701.JPG

P1161428.JPG

Jacuzzi 02.jpg
pattayapope

Postby Steve&mem » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:36 pm

That’s just what I am looking for, now that’s a nice pool
It looks like the plumbing is on separate lines but all embedded within the concrete floor and wall. I like that idea.
I am interested how the spa was plumbed and the type of jets used. I need to get my thinking cap on as it won’t be long before I have to do it myself.
Now I don't understand, but what are the sections that are left out of the sub floor
Thanks for the pics.
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 am

Just got the foundations in and the shuttering off, then the rains came. No work since then as the ground around the pool is too soft to get the trucks in. The builder boss took his guys off on another job until it dries up, so we should be back building Monday if there’s no more rain.
As I am building this on a wing and a prayer there is some minor design changes as we go along. There is now a surge tank going in next to the pool as we have changed to an over flow pool instead of a skimmer. So now more digging, First mistake we should have thought it through at the beginning
Attachments
IMAG0561.jpg
IMAG0538.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby pipoz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Steve&mem wrote:Just got the foundations in and the shuttering off, then the rains came. No work since then as the ground around the pool is too soft to get the trucks in. The builder boss took his guys off on another job until it dries up, so we should be back building Monday if there’s no more rain.
As I am building this on a wing and a prayer there is some minor design changes as we go along. There is now a surge tank going in next to the pool as we have changed to an over flow pool instead of a skimmer. So now more digging, First mistake we should have thought it through at the beginning

Hi Steve8men,

Can I ask where in Udon Thani, you hired the JCB & Driver from and also if that same place has an Excavator?

Also, I see that you have poured pad footings first and then poured thr beams between the pad footings. What thickness slab are you intending to pour for the Pool base, across/over your beams?

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Steve&mem » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Can I ask where in Udon Thani, you hired the JCB & Driver from and also if that same place has an Excavator?

The wife went asking around and got a phone number for this guy, (real shifty character) the first thing he did was asked for the money upfront, we agreed on 2k for diesel and oil he said he needed it. I lost count how many times he kept asking for more money, half way through the job we gave him another 2k . That’s when the wife told him no more until you finish. At the finish he even asked for more than the 10k agreed.
So he’s not someone I would recommend.

Also, I see that you have poured pad footings first and then poured thr beams between the pad footings. What thickness slab are you intending to pour for the Pool base, across/over your beams

The pads are 25cm thick and the beam sits on top of the pads. The beam is 40cm deep and 30cm wide. The ground will be brought up to the top of the beam using sand and stone and packed down with the plate vibrator, from there the plan is to put a thin sub floor on top, no more than 5cm deep. That gives us a clean floor to work on for laying out the steel but more importantly its for when we pour the floor of the pool, it stops the concrete from churning up the sand and stone so no weak points in the floor.
At the moment the plan is for a 25cm thick floor reinforced with 12mm rebar in a 20cm X 20cm grid, this is not the cheap stuff but the full size with an SD40 rating
Steve&mem

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:23 am

I am not an Engineer, just done yrs of building myself, but I would think that instead of putting down these sub floors like some Members seem to be into, they would be better off combining all that concrete into one properly designed slab, much more efficient and stronger. A plastic membrane under the slab keeps the concrete clean and where you want it, and make sure your steel stays in the right place, it has to have a min cover top and bottom, with non absorbent material used for your chairs. ( Surely it's about time steel plastic tip chairs of all sizes were available in Thailand)
Mike Judd

Postby Steve&mem » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:01 am

I did consider the plastic membrane, now that’s what I would have used if I had been doing the steel and concrete myself.
Unfortunately Thai builders can’t think outside the box, they fook up everything. By the time they had set up the first section of rebar I would have had shredded plastic everywhere, also I have never found the thick damp proof membrane rolls like I used to buy in the UK.
We are fortunate that the cost is not like western prices also the labour is cheap. So the 4 cube of the cheapest concrete needed is a small price to pay.
If anybody out there knows where I can get those plastic tipped chairs from please tell, until then I will have to use those little concrete ones the labour makes up (NO BRICKS ALLOWED).
Steve&mem

Postby MGV12 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 am

Steve&mem wrote:If anybody out there knows where I can get those plastic tipped chairs from please tell,

Would have thought an enterprising member would have been importing them by now!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Steve&mem » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:16 am

Would have thought an enterprising member would have been importing them by now![/quote]

Import, you’re joking, us cheap Charlie’s won’t pay the price.
Even if we made them here and tried to sell them, your market would be limited as the Thais wouldn’t buy them.
Why pay when you can make the concrete ones for a few satang or better still use the little broken bricks, I’ve seen Thais travel to the other side of town just to save a few Baht.
Steve&mem

Next

Return to swimming pool