Security very urgent

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Security very urgent

Postby Sunpax » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Like some of you know , i am woman living alone in Thailand

I have just been victime of an aggression attempt !!!

I am very chocking and sad

I was in my bed when i have heard a noise at the back door downstairs...so i went to see if it was my dog ! i couldnt see where she was after calling her ..so I open the door and go and then ...horror a man was on the big security bar downstair triyng to go upstair where i dont have any ! when he see me he jump after me and try to catch me..i was quick inside and close the door...oh my god he was at only 1 m of me...i was quick upstairs pick up my phone calling a friend to call the police ...during this time the man was at the window speaking ....in a bad English,,... i was screaming help help ...so afraid he can go upstairs broke the window and get inside !!! he was not impress at all when he see me phone to someone or hear the klaxon fron my friend car...(the garden door was closed ) he only leave when the police arrive by jumping the garden wall...

I cannot sleep....i cannot even say if the man was Thai or westerner , i thinck Thai but not sure...i try to see his face by turn off the light inside but no...

what a nighmare...

my question is : do you think by putting some sharp glasse on top of permieter wall will help ?

tomorow I go to police station to make agreement for a red box ...how much it is ?

any other suggestion ?
Sunpax

Re: Security very urgent

Postby thailazer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:36 am

Glad you are all right. That is indeed very frightening.

The police usually charge 500-1000 baht a month. With 1000 baht, they would come more often.

Also have an electrician wire up a panic siren for you. A 12 power supply, a switch near your bed, and maybe two sirens (one inside and one outside) will at least let your neighbors know something is wrong and make an intruder want to leave faster.

The glass will not slow many down. Best of luck there.
thailazer

Postby Shastadad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:29 am

Glass on top of the wall is pretty useless, I would suggest something with more sting..........like an electric fence on top of your wall, see this site:

http://www.wasp-security.com/
Shastadad

Postby Ians » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 am

Have a look round your town and find someone selling air or CO2 operated pistols, I bought a long gun for chasing pigeons and they pack a pretty hard whack when they hit someting / someone.
You can't tell the difference between these and the real thing - stick it in someone nose if they ccme and bother you, but be prepared to clean-up the mess when they sh1t their pants on the way out.

Here is a link showing what they look like - buy one and practice using it round your home and don't be afraid to use it on any intruder - it won't kill but it will certainly make them think twice about coming back.

http://www.airgundepot.com/co2-air-pistols.html
Ians

Postby Sunpax » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanck you for all your reply

i come back from the chang lek shop....he said he can make 3 windows secuity today..! (i need 7 upstairs ) if he can do .. i maybe can sleep next night..

I am down..sooo tired, and still very afraid...certainly some kind of post traumatic choc to treat !!!

Yesterday night ,the police has begin to survey my house ..because its raining so much i cannot tell how many times they came

this morning early...i had the visit of 2 and then 2 other policemens...walking around taking some pictures and then i was myself to the police station...the big chief has receive me in the small restaurant near there...asking me if i would like to eat something , very nice but no cause i can even not drink after the loud screaming yesterday ...! who has NOT make this **** man going away !!!

well I ask how much by month for the red box, and the chief has telling me :no no ...i just want you are safe here !and he gave me his mobil phone ! to be certain every thing ok .

they have put already the "book" in my mail box...but i NEED that they put something well visible to signal that they are survey my house ...!...they said to me they will, but i don't know if they understand what i mean ...i will wait until sunday to see..

The broken glass will certaily look inesthetic...

i think the alarm and a gun for inside its ok....but what happen when i am in my gardens alone !!"front and back ...brrrrr
Sunpax

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Sorry for hear of your troubling experience Sunpax.

It is good the see the police where you live taking such interest in this. I know it will be difficult for you in the next few weeks but their quick response should help a bit.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Scary times Sunpax

The police coming around will help with security but only, as you say, if there is some visual sign that you are on their surveillance list ... this at least lets any intruder know there is a possibility they might come by at any time.

As a Farang you need to be very wary about injuring a Thai ... even if they do appear to be threatening you. Therefore the suggestion of a gas or air gun/pistol is a good one but in untrained [and terrified] hands firing it at an intruder would in my opinion be a very bad idea; as if it hits them in the eye for instance it could be lethal. If you are thinking its a good idea better to get a fake one ... something that looks real but is not capable of firing and so you could never be charged with injuring an innocent person. This might have been discussed before but how about a dog? When living alone they can be a great companion and nearly 100% of Thais are very wary of dogs and will not come near. If you are not a dog lover yourself a Thai dog will happily live outside all the time and in return for being fed will give you added security. Possible?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Ians » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:25 pm

If I were a woman, living by myself and I was threatened by an intruder late at night, I wouldn't have any second thoughts of inflicting as much force as necessary to protect myself, that include the use on an air / gas pistol, if the intruder ends up badly injured so be it. I would be prepared to argue the toss later especially as the police have now been involved and are aware that one attempt has already been made to get into the house.

As for a dog, if thinking about getting a dog consider the Bang kaew, these were originally bred and are still bred in Phitsanulok, there are supposedly very good as guard dogs, very quite, passive but protective. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Bangkaew_Dog
Ians

Postby Sunpax » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Hum , i have already two dogs one 16 months old and a girl 5 months old (who yesterday was so afraid by the ***** man..)...they are both large dogs BUT they are not always at home ! especialy the boy who like to hanging around looking for female..because i have a little mound behind the house that i cannot close ..they can go out !!!

Tonigh because despite that the promise of" the iron man" i still not have security bar ! so i have put the boy dog on a chain :( behind the house...! and put a wardrobe on one of a a window...what a mess..my house look like a battle field

I live with a knife in my hand !!and the phone in in the other !

About the sad possibility to kill someone !!! i even not kill animal if not necessary !!!! BUT better the other than me !

I will not take any decision right now..about a gun...too much emotional felling..i am going to wait a bit ...once i have bars at windows , it will be better + the police patrol ...!...tomorow i will check how many times they came around.

I repeat that here its sooooo difficult to find workers and so more difficult to find good one...once the house is finish in 6 or 8 monts i will be more able (hope ) to see the weak points of my house.

Where to buy a very loud alarm ?

Ps I cannot stop to replay this nighmare again and again !!! I was lucky to escape, one second more and who knows !
this man has not robbed anything !!! he had the possibility with tools ,meat ...ect... behind i have an open storage room,but he was looking after me...brrrrrr
Sunpax

Postby unclezillion » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 am

bit late on this but the best thing to do initially is to put up some very big lights that work on a motion sensor.
One thing you can be sure of is that people who rob etc do not want to be seen or lit up.
It also seems like your dogs need training! my best security device is my toy poodle he is very sensitive to noise close to the house!
a small yappy dog will set your big boys off but they need to be in the house not wandering around where they want or chained up!
unclezillion

Postby Sunpax » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm

But where to buy this big sensor light ??? and do i need an electricain to install ? what are the prices on maybe an 500 w ?

Thanks a lot
Sunpax

Postby Ians » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Plenty of 150 w in all the major suppliers some with motion sensing attached
Ians

Return to Life in Thailand