Thai corruption .............

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Thai corruption .............

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:23 pm

MGV12,
Judge John Deed and Judge Judy wouldn't say that.
Can you imagine having Geoffrey Robertson QC show up in court to defend you over a parking infringement. I know which way the magistrate/JP would rule after an hour of rigorous cross examination of the parking attendant, with a following two hours to follow after lunch and 300 cases to get through in that day..... and all represented by Geoffrey Robertson QC (totally hypothetical of course). Or Perry Mason for the Americans. Or Horace Rumpole (no QC) of the Bailey, but I hear he went feral.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:MGV12,
Judge John Deed and Judge Judy wouldn't say that.
Can you imagine having Geoffrey Robertson QC show up in court to defend you over a parking infringement. I know which way the magistrate/JP would rule after an hour of rigorous cross examination of the parking attendant, with a following two hours to follow after lunch and 300 cases to get through in that day..... and all represented by Geoffrey Robertson QC (totally hypothetical of course). Or Perry Mason for the Americans. Or Horace Rumpole (no QC) of the Bailey, but I hear he went feral.

:)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Is it a surpice to any one that those who best know the law are best capable of circumventing it ?
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:10 pm

sirineou wrote:Is it a surpice to any one that those who best know the law are best capable of circumventing it ?

I am surprised on a daily basis ... it's what keeps me on my toes 8)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:06 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:Is it a surpice to any one that those who best know the law are best capable of circumventing it ?

I am surprised on a daily basis ... it's what keeps me on my toes 8)

That's a disturbing image.
sirineou

Postby payebacs » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:21 am

It's no surprise to me, what is a surprise is that some of them then go on to choose to circumvent it making them surely the most corrupt individuals and nations of all.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby Jeanine87 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 pm

No wonder, the vast majority of Thai population live below the poverty line. I've heard the story about Russian tourist who caused a motorbike accident and a family of 3 people died. So, the dude just paid 130 000 baht (~ $10 000) and get away with murder. That's the price to pay for 3 lives.

Postby sirineou » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Jeanine87 wrote:No wonder, the vast majority of Thai population live below the poverty line. I've heard the story about Russian tourist who caused a motorbike accident and a family of 3 people died. So, the dude just paid 130 000 baht (~ $10 000) and get away with murder. That's the price to pay for 3 lives.

Corruption is a drag in any countries economy, the more pervasive the corruption, the stronger the drag.
Though it might work for the few with money, such as us, it certainly exacts a heavy toll from the Thai people. :(
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:20 am

A rather late post on the subject , but I couldn't resist adding this post about corruption in the so clean western countries. We have a big time Labour politician and power broker in N.S.W. where it has just been revealed that his family company has for years been granted leases on a huge block of government buildings at Circular Quay right on the waterfront (Gate way to the city of Sydney) for peanuts. Which he then sub leases out to dozens of small shops /cafes etc for a fortune. Of course it's all legal and contract bound for years. None of that dreadful Asian graft here, we went to a higher level years ago, but it's only open to those in the know.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:39 am

Mike Judd,
Perhaps you should submit your complaint to ICAC.
Corrupt conduct, as defined in the Independent Commission Against Corruption Act 1988, is deliberate or intentional wrongdoing, not negligence or a mistake. It has to involve or affect a NSW public official or public sector organisation.
While it can take many forms, corrupt conduct occurs when:
a public official improperly uses, or tries to improperly use, the knowledge, power or resources of their position for personal gain or the advantage of others
a public official acts dishonestly or unfairly, or breaches public trust
a member of the public influences, or tries to influence, a public official to use his or her position in a way that is dishonest, biased or breaches public trust.
The NSW community expects public officials to perform their duties with honesty and in the best interests of the public. Corrupt conduct by a public official involves a breach of public trust that can lead to inequality, wasted resources or public money and reputational damage.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:17 pm

R.R. I don't think that would get any where. It was in all the papers for a couple of days for all the world to read about, but then died a natural death like all the other exposures do. Unless the media get their teeth into something and will not let go, nothing is done about most injustices, life is not fair, never has been. Utopia is non existent and you have to treat life as a game where you try and keep in-front of the bastards ,keeping their hands out of your pockets as much as possible in the mean time.
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:15 pm

It's a corrupt world wherever you look:

Hillsborough report reveals South Yorkshire Police made 'strenuous efforts' to deflect blame on to Liverpool fans

walk_2337269b.jpg

An independent report into the Hillsborough stadium disaster has concluded that South Yorkshire Police and the ambulance service made "strenuous attempts to deflect blame" for the deaths of 96 Liverpool supporters onto the fans.

In the 394-page report the panel has shed new light on the disaster, including:

• Police carried out criminal record checks on the deceased in an attempt to "impugn their reputations"

• Senior officers privately discussed the "animalistic behaviour" of "drunken marauding fans"

• Evidence that a number of the dead survived "for a significant period" beyond the 3.15pm cut-off point imposed at the original inquest

• 116 of the 164 South Yorkshire Police statements were doctored to remove unfavourable comments
Related Articles

• South Yorkshire Ambulance Service was misleading when it claimed criticism of its conduct made by doctors who were present was factually inaccurate

• There was "no evidence of substance" to support the police account that alcohol and fan aggression played a part in the disaster

• Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher expressed concern in Cabinet that the first inquiry into the disaster contained "devastating criticism of the police"

• The weight placed on blood alcohol levels among the dead was "inappropriate"

The report concludes that police and ambulance service statements were doctored in an attempt to avoid responsibility for the failings of crowd control that were the primary cause of the disaster in April 1989.

The Hillsborough Independent Panel also raises "profound concerns about the conduct an appropriateness of the inquests".

The report finds that the decision of the coroner to rule that all 96 victims died in the same way, and to impose a 3.15pm cut-off time on the inquest, was "unsustainable".

The panel said there was evidence that a number of those that died were alive after the 3.15pm cut-off. The original inquest recorded 96 cases of accidental death, but the families of the deceased have called for those verdicts to be quashed.

In the aftermath, the police claimed that violent behaviour by drunken Liverpool supporters who arrived without tickets was the primary cause of the disaster.

Having reviewed more than 450,000 previously unseen documents, the panel concludes: "The evidence shows conclusively that Liverpool fans neither caused nor contributed to the deaths of 96 men, women and children".

The chairman of the panel, the Bishop of Liverpool the Rt Rev James Jones, said: "The documents disclosed to and analysed by the panel show that the tragedy should never have happened.

"There were clear operational failures in response to the disaster and in its aftermath there were strenuous attempts to deflect the blame onto the fans. The panels detailed reports shows how vulnerable victims, survivors and their families are when transparency and accountability are compromised."

Full story and videos: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -fans.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 am

Well here's a :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's not just the Thai government .... really? :P

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Thursday, October 25, 2012 -- 4:51 PM EDT
-----

Family of Prime Minister Holds a Hidden Fortune in China

Many relatives of Wen Jiabao, China’s prime minister, including his son, daughter, younger brother and brother-in-law, have become extraordinarily wealthy during his leadership, an investigation by The New York Times shows. A review of corporate and regulatory records indicates that the prime minister’s relatives, some of whom have a knack for aggressive deal-making, including his wife, have controlled assets worth at least $2.7 billion.

In many cases, the names of the relatives have been hidden behind layers of partnerships and investment vehicles involving friends, work colleagues and business partners. Untangling their financial holdings provides an unusually detailed look at how politically connected people have profited from being at the intersection of government and business as state influence and private wealth converge in China’s fast-growing economy.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/busin ... tml?emc=na

MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:21 am

Corruption has nothing to do with salary levels it seems. It now appears that there's a whole net work of Custom officers at Sydney Air-port who have been involved for years in smuggling every type of illegal goods into Australia,Drugs, guns you name it. Linked to Bike gangs and some police. The head of customs resigned a while ago after the first lot was discovered, but it's still been going on. Big disclosures in the papers today in Sydney.I think it's all about Greed.!
Mike Judd

Previous

Return to Life in Thailand