Thai cooking

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Thai cooking

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:54 pm

geordie wrote:I would imagine that is one of the benifits of thai style cooking you just miss out the meat and the meal will pretty much be the same the flavour is in the "additives" of course you will have to check their ingredients in case they slipped a bit of dead animal in there ?

And what other kind of animal would they be slipping in? 8)
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby rsokolowski » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:07 am

payebacs wrote:sokolowski. Mc Dermot's a vegetarian book as well which looks great. thanks.

I would like to get the vegetarian version also. The version that we have (available on Amazon) has seafood and all kinds of meat. We have vegetarians that work in my office (environmental planning) and they will not eat most of my wife's cooking because she uses fish sauce, or shrimp paste, or something else that they will not eat.

Vegetarians are generally a pain in the behind.

I like vegetables, stir fried with some type of meat.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
rsokolowski

Postby rsokolowski » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:12 am

geordie wrote:
payebacs wrote:sokolowski. Mc Dermot's a vegetarian book as well which looks great. thanks.

I would imagine that is one of the benifits of thai style cooking you just miss out the meat and the meal will pretty much be the same the flavour is in the "additives" of course you will have to check their ingredients in case they slipped a bit of dead animal in there ?

Even with the Thai meat dishes the amount of meat used is normally a lot less than normal in a typical western style meal (e.g. 16 oz T-Bone steak), and the amount of vegetables is greater. Overall a much healthier diet than most westerners are used to.
rsokolowski

Postby payebacs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:20 am

geordie wrote:I would imagine that is one of the benifits of thai style cooking you just miss out the meat and the meal will pretty much be the same the flavour is in the "additives" of course you will have to check their ingredients in case they slipped a bit of dead animal in there ?
Yes the vegetarian version of sokolov's recommended book has so many recipes in it that I was at first confused as to how the same author had such a wealth of vegetarian recipes just out the blue until I read the online forward of the book on amazon where the author explains that most of the vegetarian recipes are the exact same ones Minus the meat and Plus (not soya :lol: nor quorn) but a mushroom mince mix repeated then in it's use eveytime the meat book would use meat. Apparently pretty much every dish in thailand has ie even the vegetable type ones fish sauce in them so yes that is a concern for vegetarians and contrary to what I'd originally assumed soya sauce is apparently nowhere near the same so in the book a fish sauce substitute is described how to make (I think just sugar is added?) and used in the vegetarian version. I think quite baffling to thais how 'junk food' by our own admission like Mcdonalds can be such a huge global success.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 am

payebacs wrote: but a mushroom mince mix repeated then in it's use eveytime the meat book would use meat. Apparently pretty much every dish in thailand has ie even the vegetable type ones fish sauce in them so yes that is a concern for vegetarians
I was inferring about dead animals in the sauce for that reason but even if a thai sat in front of me with a monk either side declaring it was vegitarian ! i still would not beleive them not after they poisoned me several times with nuts contamination usually courtesy of vegetable oil (peanuts)

This bit about minced mushroom instead of meat ?? if i am understanding correctly rather than a nice fresh bit of pork you replace it in your food with ""fungus"" :mrgreen:

If you are really truly vegetarian why all theses substitute meals at all if you don,t eat flesh why replace it with anything ?? mushroom cannot taste like beef or pork or chicken is it phsycological to have a substitute
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:30 am

Nu's Mama is a sorta vegan, but I have seen her nibble on a bit of fish, when cooking a pork dish, taste test that too. However, if she is cooking a dish for herself, no animal protein will be in it. Fish sauce will be used.
So while she says she "no eat meat" I guess it is not the same as a rabid vegan in the western world as in Thailand. IMHO , YMWV
M
No peanuts were harmed in this post :)
Makmak456

Postby payebacs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:13 am

geordie wrote:if you don,t eat flesh why replace it with anything ?? mushroom cannot taste like beef or pork or chicken is it phsycological to have a substitute
It's just to sell the book really and for it still to be able to be called Thai so if you've already the meat one prob not worth buying the vegetarian one. The problem for the author is that he or she cannot just make up their own recipes and call it Thai if no one in Thailand even cooks that way and so hence the as near as possible to thai meat cooking and thai fish sauce cooking substitutes.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby sirineou » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 am

geordie wrote:
If you are really truly vegetarian why all theses substitute meals at all if you don,t eat flesh why replace it with anything ?? mushroom cannot taste like beef or pork or chicken is it phsycological to have a substitute

cooking is not only about nutrition or taste but also about textures and the contrast of,
mushrooms not only enhance the taste, but also simulates the texture of meat , maintaining the balance of textures,
otherwise the dish could be too mushy, or not enough chewy, etc.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Makmak456 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:05 am

I agree "S", as I have had some mushrooms here , texture wise that would pass for the stringy, tough issan beef, and others that are so different in texture to really add to a meal. The 2nd largest apeal or draw to me to be in thailand is the food, my lady has to come first.
I have never been anywhere yet with such a diverisity of food, or the different ways it can be prepared
mak
Makmak456

Postby rsokolowski » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:48 am

Makmak456 wrote:I agree "S", as I have had some mushrooms here , texture wise that would pass for the stringy, tough issan beef, and others that are so different in texture to really add to a meal. The 2nd largest apeal or draw to me to be in thailand is the food, my lady has to come first.
I have never been anywhere yet with such a diverisity of food, or the different ways it can be prepared
mak

I agree 100%, the food in Thailand is wonderful. Even a simple dish such as grilled pork with fresh basil leaves and a chili dipping sauce (I had in Nang Rong, Buriram by the bus station) is simply great. My wife is even better.
rsokolowski

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:18 pm

rsokolowski wrote:My wife is even better.

I certainly hope cannibalism is not coming back into fashion.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Having spent the night centrall BKK i went into what looked like a half decent restraunt and had a rare treat
Steak ? Stubborness forced me to eat it ? many more steaks as stringy and tasteless as that and i will become vegitarian myself Noticible by there abcense no stray dogs around otherwise one or more of them could have ate well last night !
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Makmak456 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Makmak456

Postby rsokolowski » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
rsokolowski wrote:My wife is even better.

I certainly hope cannibalism is not coming back into fashion.

Not typed entirely correctly, but my wife is quite a tasty dish. She is also a very good cook (Thai and western).
rsokolowski

Postby Baanguru » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm not too sure if Thai cooking is so complicated as I don't personally know how to cook. My mom is great when cooking some Thai dishes like her green curry and Pad Thai. I also want to learn sometimes but I think I'm not really for it so I just enjoy eating the dishes and forget about the cooking. :lol:
Baanguru

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand