traditional teak wood house

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: traditional teak wood house

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 am

lazylanna wrote: this was a first time for both me and my wife, we have learnt quickly and im happy with what it looks like we are getting.

You have every reason to be happy and proud of the house you are creating ... very impressive ... and reassuring that most of the wood has 'history' and so the bugs won't be interested.

Chaindrite has done a great job for us on new teak and hardwood ... two coats on everything when it first arrived and some offcuts which have been laying around in all weathers under the trees are still bug free after nearly two years.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby unclezillion » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 am

Excellent build :)
unclezillion

Postby lazylanna » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 pm

I also used chaindrite we probablynwill be using this to seal the wood, matt clear no shine no colour.
Thank you for your comments check out the next pictures of more building coming shortly.
lazylanna

Postby jamendoza3 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 am

You have no idea how much GREAT info I've picked up you your posting........THANKS !
jamendoza3

Postby stevie1403 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:06 am

lazylanna wrote:
payebacs wrote:
lazylanna wrote:I hope this thread gives you insights into wood construction.

which I think is of great value especially if building on rented land because should the lease expire the house can be sold or moved... one does though first need to buy all of that wood to begin with which wasn't cheap and dismatling and rebuilding would have it's costs too so, for myself this is, keen on a cheap build leaving a concrete block house on a previously rented spot writing it off and building the same again on another may prove actually more cost effective 'on my budget'. That said I could still perhaps afford a wooden one if I found one small enough and then rebuilt it all just as is. Nice photos and intreguing to wonder what all might have happened in that house before you found it, over the years. Very nice looking wood indeed.

Hi, are you looking for wood? I know of many places in and around chiangmai, obviousky you need to have papers in order if you want to cross provincial lines. But maybe you would be interested in rice barns? Similar in size to treehouses but a downstairs. 10 posts can be a decent size and start from about 120,000 for teak including full posts and good wood on 90% of the building. Knock down and transport is about 20,000.
Alternativel yu can buy wood in house form, ie a house that has been knocked down already, normally you need to buy posts but these range from 200,000 up all teak hig quality wood. The last option is you buy from various places the wood you need from a plan, this is probably the best and cheapest way but needs time to look around. Most importantly is a good builder, not that expensive, and far better than concrete on the eyes.
If you have plans i could give you a rough estimate as to what i paid per sok(50 cm ) length. If i did it again i could probably have saved at least 1/3 to a half of the price using examples from above better. Hope this helps, by the way there are some great tree house book around in b2s, i own most of them so if your ever in chiangmai come and take a look.

Hi sorry I cant pm you I have just joined the forum and don't think i'm allowed to pm yet.

Is there some way I can contact you to discuss in more detail about sourcing either full houses or different pieces of wood that would fit with my plan. Thanks
stevie1403

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:25 am

lazylanna wrote:I hope this thread gives you insights into wood construction.
which I think is of great value especially if building on rented land because should the lease expire the house can be sold or moved.................... ... Hope this helps, by the way there are some great tree house book around in b2s, i own most of them so if your ever in chiangmai come and take a look.

stevie1403 wrote:Hi sorry I cant pm you I have just joined the forum and don't think i'm allowed to pm yet.

Is there some way I can contact you to discuss in more detail about sourcing either full houses or different pieces of wood that would fit with my plan. Thanks

Doubt any messages via the forum would get through to lazylanna as he hasn't even logged in for well over a year.

Good luck with your search ... please keep us posted.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby lazylanna » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi

sorry due to lots of things happening Ive been away and havent had time to check back on the thread, but as we are now going back to finish the house it seemed that getting everyone upto date would be of great interest and benefit.

So where did we get to........... :D
lazylanna

Postby lazylanna » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi sorry I cant pm you I have just joined the forum and don't think i'm allowed to pm yet.

Yes of course, I am not in Thailand at the moment so you can send me a PM or email. Please let me know what you are looking for? sorry for the delayed repsonse. :)
lazylanna

Postby Edmund » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi Lazylana. How did it all finish. I hope you were happy with the final result.
Cheers
Edmund in Bangkok

<Unfortunately Lazylana is no longer an active member of the forum - mod>
Edmund

Previous

Return to Your Building Story