Builder cost estimate in Buriram

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Builder cost estimate in Buriram

Postby rsokolowski » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 am

We asked for a builder for a cost estimate on a 120 sq meter house (over the internet), just to get a rough idea of the cost of an all inclusive build. The house is pretty simple, two bedrooms, one bath, with open living room/kitchen/dining room, and a large outside covered area (6m x 11m, with kitchen area). The estimate came back as 3.5 million Baht (and that was without the kitchen appliances or air cons). I think (no, I know) that this is on the high side. My wife's family has a good relationship with the local hardware store owner, and I was thinking of asking him for a local builder recommendation. I will be living right across the street during the build, so I will be able to supervise the construction.

I have been reading the information on this site for the last year or so and I think that the estimate is kind of crazy. Any thoughts?
Attachments
Presentation1.jpg
rsokolowski

Re: Builder cost estimate in Buriram

Postby sirineou » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:38 am

Difficult to say from your drawing, and,I am not the expert in that field, others would have a better answer for you, but I think the estimate is kind of high, if I was to guess, depending of course on your level of finish, I would say 1,500,000 bht or less .
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby rsokolowski » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 am

sirineou wrote:Difficult to say from your drawing, and,I am not the expert in that field, others would have a better answer for you, but I think the estimate is kind of high, if I was to guess, depending of course on your level of finish, I would say 1,500,000 bht or less .

That is about the price range I was thinking. When I get there I will be retired so I will have time to supervise the build. I am also very handy and am able to do a lot of the finish work (trim etc.) myself. I want to make sure the structure is solid, the plumbing is correct, and the electrical safe. I will be living with the inlaws across the street during the build.

Thanks for the post.
rsokolowski

Postby payebacs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:21 am

rsokolowski wrote:a 120 sq meter house
the measurements are quite big. 5m isn't small. And the patio brings it to 180m2 at 1m elevation. I wonder about column frequency and placement, the beams will prob need more strength than in a smaller place I would think. As well not nearly an expert but at an uneducated guess I would be surely hoping for less than 2mil? Again that's quite a big roof so I can see how costs could add up from one quote to another.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby pattayapope » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:27 am

I use a simple rule when estimating building cost and area within the outside wall uses a factor of 1 and any built up area ouside this for roof overhang or covered patio area uses a factor of 0.5. If we look at your build and assume a roof over hang of 0.5 meter on three sides the following are my estimated area.

Area within the outside walls = 130 m2
Other covered area = 41.75
Total area = 171.75

Without knowing what building materials you are choseing I would say for a nice house using Qcon and Cpac roof you would pay between 1.7 to 2 million. This could be reduced using cheaper materials and less expensive fittings and fixtures. Certainly your first quote is way over the top unless it includes perimeter walls, driveway, carport ++. But even then seems to be way over the top. Best of luck with your building and remember all the extras soon mount up and you can soon spend another million fininshing the house and garden and interior items such as TV fridge ect.
pattayapope

Postby rsokolowski » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 am

pattayapope wrote:I use a simple rule when estimating building cost and area within the outside wall uses a factor of 1 and any built up area ouside this for roof overhang or covered patio area uses a factor of 0.5. If we look at your build and assume a roof over hang of 0.5 meter on three sides the following are my estimated area.

Area within the outside walls = 130 m2
Other covered area = 41.75
Total area = 171.75

Without knowing what building materials you are choseing I would say for a nice house using Qcon and Cpac roof you would pay between 1.7 to 2 million. This could be reduced using cheaper materials and less expensive fittings and fixtures. Certainly your first quote is way over the top unless it includes perimeter walls, driveway, carport ++. But even then seems to be way over the top. Best of luck with your building and remember all the extras soon mount up and you can soon spend another million fininshing the house and garden and interior items such as TV fridge ect.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your input. We are planning on using the best materials and 2 Million baht is within our price window. I just thought that 3.5 Million baht was a bit out of line. We are looking forward to making the move to Thailand and soon as our son gets situated in college here in the USA. It is exciting, and a little bit (not too much) scary to sell everything and move to Thailand, but I am looking forward to it.
rsokolowski

Postby pipoz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi,

I have done my cost plan a number of times and for a mid-upper quality house, with concrete foundation/slab, rendered external walls of block or Qcon, concrete tiled roof and all the standard internals such as ceilings, doors etc, fittings, ceramics, western toilet/bathroom and Thai modern style kitchen (sensibly buying Thai products from the Home Pros, Globalhouse or local cheaper places), my view is that I can build it for between TB 12,000 – TB 13,000 per square meter of actual undercover area.

So if you are 120 m2 undercover, then it should cost approx TB 1.44 Mill to 1.56 Mill for the House part, plus then a little more for externals such as landscaping, sewer and drainage, driveway and a front fence.

PS.
I looked at what I considered reasonably expensive (for Thailand) Western style kicthens in HomePro six weeks ago and they ranged from TB 150,000 to TB 350,000 (quite elengant), including lower and upper (overhead) timber/laminate cabinets, granite looking (copy type) bench top, four burner gas cooking top plate (glass), kitchen exhaust flue and a modern sink unit/tapware, so a good budget for a quality kitchen is somewhere in that range depending on how many cupboards spaces you need and how up market you wish to go.

I also bought a good quality A/C Samsung split unit, for my TGs bedroom (3 month back) . It is 18,000 BTU from memory (the larger one), which will comfortably do a bedroom of about 5m x 4m x 2.3 ceiling height. I paid TB 17,500 for that A/C unit from Big C in Udon Thani and another TB 2,500 to have it installed.

Hope this helps

Phil

Phil
pipoz

Postby rsokolowski » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi,

I have done my cost plan a number of times and for a mid-upper quality house, with concrete foundation/slab, rendered external walls of block or Qcon, concrete tiled roof and all the standard internals such as ceilings, doors etc, fittings, ceramics, western toilet/bathroom and Thai modern style kitchen (sensibly buying Thai products from the Home Pros, Globalhouse or local cheaper places), my view is that I can build it for between TB 12,000 – TB 13,000 per square meter of actual undercover area.

So if you are 120 m2 undercover, then it should cost approx TB 1.44 Mill to 1.56 Mill for the House part, plus then a little more for externals such as landscaping, sewer and drainage, driveway and a front fence.

PS.
I looked at what I considered reasonably expensive (for Thailand) Western style kicthens in HomePro six weeks ago and they ranged from TB 150,000 to TB 350,000 (quite elengant), including lower and upper (overhead) timber/laminate cabinets, granite looking (copy type) bench top, four burner gas cooking top plate (glass), kitchen exhaust flue and a modern sink unit/tapware, so a good budget for a quality kitchen is somewhere in that range depending on how many cupboards spaces you need and how up market you wish to go.

I also bought a good quality A/C Samsung split unit, for my TGs bedroom (3 month back) . It is 18,000 BTU from memory (the larger one), which will comfortably do a bedroom of about 5m x 4m x 2.3 ceiling height. I paid TB 17,500 for that A/C unit from Big C in Udon Thani and another TB 2,500 to have it installed.

Hope this helps

Phil

Phil

Thanks for the post, I appreciate the information on the actual costs of items. We are 120 m2 of inside living space, but the covered area also includes a 6m by 11m (additional 66 m2 of roof area) outside covered area, so this may add to the costs.

We remodeled our kitchen here in Hawaii last year and it cost almost 1 million Baht (top of the line cabinets, granite counter tops, new appliances, new floor, drywall, and electrical). Also I did most of the work myself (except the electrical, and counter top installation. If I had paid for contractors to do the drywall, floor, and cabinet installation it would have been closer to 2 million baht.

Looking forward to getting there in a couple of years and getting started.
rsokolowski

Postby Makmak456 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:40 am

Aprox, 1.75M TBH, with builder adding 2M tbh profit "cuz your a very rich falang and he needs a new truck/ute............
Makmak456

Postby rsokolowski » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:37 am

Makmak456 wrote:Aprox, 1.75M TBH, with builder adding 2M tbh profit "cuz your a very rich falang and he needs a new truck/ute............

I won't be rich very long if I spend double on everything. Without a site like CTH I might not have known any better. The information on this site is a valuable resource. Worth about 2 million baht in this case. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rsokolowski

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:46 am

If you look at my house at the site,(Slow build etc;) near Khon Kaen which is up to the lock up stage with just the P.C. items to go in the bath rooms and Kit. It's a 154 sqmt U shape house inside the walls. That shape would be more expensive than the economical square type. I used a pretty expensive roof and tile system ( Super-Truss and Excella tiles) plus good quality alloy windows throughout , but the build itself was done by myself supervising 2 reliable guys with some extra help only with the concrete pours. Total cost so far B 750,000 but that's with-out any out side work still to come like the pool etc;. All this was obviously with out the cost of a Builder, who you will need if you are not capable or willing to sub-let it all out your self. His services are where all the mark up is on every single item that goes into your house, even if a lot of the time he will not even be there. Even then as long as you get what you want in quality etc; it's still far cheaper than a western build.
Mike Judd

Postby rsokolowski » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:27 am

Mike Judd wrote:If you look at my house at the site,(Slow build etc;) near Khon Kaen which is up to the lock up stage with just the P.C. items to go in the bath rooms and Kit. It's a 154 sqmt U shape house inside the walls. That shape would be more expensive than the economical square type. I used a pretty expensive roof and tile system ( Super-Truss and Excella tiles) plus good quality alloy windows throughout , but the build itself was done by myself supervising 2 reliable guys with some extra help only with the concrete pours. Total cost so far B 750,000 but that's with-out any out side work still to come like the pool etc;. All this was obviously with out the cost of a Builder, who you will need if you are not capable or willing to sub-let it all out your self. His services are where all the mark up is on every single item that goes into your house, even if a lot of the time he will not even be there. Even then as long as you get what you want in quality etc; it's still far cheaper than a western build.

Thanks Mike,

I am capable but I was pricing a builder to see if I wanted to be capable. It looks like I want to be capable, given the extra cost. Hell, I will be retired and spending six months to a year building a house sounds like great fun (loads of sarcasm). Seriously I will need to sub let all the electrical to someone competent and safe, the roof, and some of the plumbing. You are right about the comparison to a western builder cost wise, you cannot get a house built in Hawaii for 2.5 million Baht (you might be able to get a kitchen remodel for that price, but not much else).

I did my own kitchen remodel about a year ago (down to the studs, and new sub-floor) and it cost 1 million baht here in Hawaii (with new appliances, top of the line cabinets, granite counter top, new windows and doors, and some electrical that was sub-contracted).

Appreciate the input.

Roy
rsokolowski

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 am

Roy, It sounds like you are the perfect fit for a self build. Even with 60 odd yrs in the building game, I still found it convenient to use Subbies for certain phases. That was quite easy for me as there are several new building estates going up around Khon Kaen where I just checked out the Subbies working there for the quality of their work, established the prices for what ever work, and took it from there. I'am talking about roof structure where you have two choices, Smart Truss which I used, or the red painted steel section that they weld up as they go and I used on my 6mt x 9mt garage.Cost B48,000 for the steel and B7,000 for the labour to paint /cut/weld and erect. That is the cheaper way to go but you need more input yourself to make sure of the right steel in the spans for what ever roof covering. Where as the Smart Truss is all done on computer for what ever loads required. Then the Tiles were supply and fix, Widows same, Ceilings ditto, Electrician I got a price to instal while I bought all the materials etc; The big savings are in that you buy and pick most of the materials and you don't have dozens of men standing around watching normally a couple (women)doing the work, as is the case that I noticed with Builders. Subbies seem to work more efficiently with every one knowing his part.
Some where on this forum you will find all the help you could want on every aspect about building in Thailand . Enjoy.!
Mike Judd

Postby Buriram Builders » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:17 pm

If you bring architect house plans in Thai, with a list of specific building materials with specs of the materials, a qualified person who speaks and understands Thai and English can help you at many building merchant stores in Buriram. The list of materials can be accomplished for a modest cost by a Buriram engineer so you can obtain a written price quote from one or more building merchants supply store in Buriram. The cost of 20cm by 20cm by 60cm AAC blocks such as Q Con or Diamond Brand or SuperBlock can vary 30% in Buriram when you consider the total price including delivery by the store to your house building site inside or outside the city limits of Buriram. Eve brand lighting fixtures for inside a house or outside a home or the LED Light Bulbs or Motion sensor light fixtures can be 65% higher at one store than another store in Buriram for the exact same model number light fixture or exact same CFL light bulb or LED light bulb. Lanko building products or specific Weber tile grout can vary by 28% between the larger home improvement stores in Buriram for the exact model of tile grout, rendering material, silicone. It is worth the time of the any expat who considers cost to obtain that specific list of materials and to personally go to several stores with a written list to compare prices. The Buriram Home Pro has a woman who understands English. Buriram I.Q. House has a greeter who speaks English and Thai. Most of the family owned larger builders merchants in Buriram have owners or management staff who can understand and speak English. See which stores can give you brochures in English for the house building materials that you are considering. See which stores will offer to send a building materials manufacturer representative to your house building site to provide free at the job site training for your local building staff so they do not waste or ruin the building materials you buy direct from the store, without a local contractor markup. The owners of Paddy's Irish Bar, Roma Pizza, U Near Bar, Book 'n Bed, Jimmy's Sport's Cafe located in Buriram all must certainly have a current opinion on which building materials stores better serve the expats in Buriram Province.
Buriram Builders

Postby cooked » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:50 pm

I am at a bit of a loss to understand why this reply has come in after three years. The only place to go for building materials in Buriram is Rueangsongthai which now has three native English speaking employees and many people that are quite fluent in English. http://www.burirambuildersmerchants.com/index.html
Go to Homepro, maybe the most expensive merchants in Buriram or go to a bar and ask? Nah.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Return to material prices & building costs