Sliding INTERIOR Doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Sliding INTERIOR Doors

Postby ProzacDragon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Guys

I love doors that look like this. They are non intrusive into the living space, look fantastic and come in a multitude of colours/designs. The "hanging system" seems fairly easy to instal.

http://www.modresdes.com/2010/06/modern-luxury-glass-sliding-doors/modern-luxury-glass-sliding-doors/
They have more photos at the bottom

Was wondering if they are available anywhere in Thailand and does anyone have an idea of cost?
ProzacDragon

Re: Sliding INTERIOR Doors

Postby jazzman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 am

Available absolutely everywhere, and even with discretely hidden rails and wheels. Any local producer of aluminium doors and windows will be able to advise. The cost is based mainly on the glass.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby ProzacDragon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks Jazzman

I liek the idea f having the wheels and slidey thing exposed. I dont do the dusting anyway :P
ProzacDragon

Postby rovingdave » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:50 pm

jazzman wrote:Available absolutely everywhere, and even with discretely hidden rails and wheels. Any local producer of aluminium doors and windows will be able to advise. The cost is based mainly on the glass.

Hi Jazzman,

Could you be a little more specific for me please? At present i am away at sea working in the Gulf of Thailand til Dec 5th and i am sending my wife on 'missions' whilst i am away to get ideas and prices and availibility for things etc etc.

She downloaded and printed off in colour the fancy sliding doors with open runners, which we both think is lovely and would do for a couple of our rooms. However, she took the pictures to HomePro and Boontavorn in Pattaya (both huge organisations) and they all said they had never seen these types of doors before, without the full frames. She showed the picture to an aluminium window supplier just up the road from us and he had never seen that type before.

Has she just been unlucky, any more specific directions or places i can ask her to check out?

If worst comes to worst maybe i could buy the glass and have wheels and runners fitted along with a handle?

Thanks

Dave B
rovingdave

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:56 pm

rovingdave,
She's just been unlucky. When I get my camera back I'll take a photo of the sliding door to our upstairs bathroom, it cost less than 5,000 baht from a local supplier and could have all been glass, but I settled for 60 - 40.
Roger Ramjet

Postby rovingdave » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks Roger,

The guy that runs all the Thai lads of all the different trades doing my house is away til the weekend. I'll ask her to show him and maybe he can source them for us or point her in the right direction.

I myself have never seen this typr of hanging 'open frame' type door before but am very taken with the design and can think of 3 that i would like to buy. 5000 baht seems like good value to me to be honest.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing what you did Roger

Dave B
rovingdave

Postby ProzacDragon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Great replies chaps.

Ive run into the same issue. I took my laptop into Hompro etc etc and got the same answers. Could you post directions etc of your guy with these doors. Id like to run them through the whole house.

Just one thing that has come into my mind....how do you open them from the other side? Seems to me they only have a handle on one side otherwise the reverse handle would hit the inside of the door opening. In that case they would forever have fingerprints on one side of the glass. Sorry if im being a bit thick LOL
ProzacDragon

Postby rovingdave » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi ProzacDragon,

You had me thinking there for a minute..... I just looked again at the pics. The upper 'stoppers' look to be adjustable to where you want the door to stop. I think if the edge of the door stops just covering the entryway with the edge of the door then there would be no probs at all with having a handle on the reverse side in exactly the same place.

Although... i have a 4 year old daughter and there are always sticky fingerprints everywhere in the house anyway....lol

Dave B
rovingdave

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Roger Ramjet

Postby sezze » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:13 am

I found Hafele had them also , and they are about everywhere in Thailand . THere are many catalogues on their website . Look at the one
sliding and folding door fittings . I have just downloaded that one and it's inside .
Otherwhise , you can import it from China , which might be cheaper in fact . Shipping cost might be a bit more expensive but if you order multiple things , you end up a lot cheaper then from the shops in Thailand . However , import duties are somewhere unknown , i think that almost every product from China is free trade ( ASEAN ) . If somebody has an answer to that , i'm happy to hear .
sezze

Postby domsmith » Tue May 15, 2012 1:26 pm

I checked out home depot, but i couldn't find any. I found sliding doors for closets, but it's not really what I'm looking for. I need something larger (40" width).

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 15, 2012 2:58 pm

domsmith,
If you go to HomePro or Thai Watsadu you'll find they have the doors in one section and the rest of the items needed in another....why I have no idea. It took me two trips to HomePro to finally get all the fixtures that they keep in the "nuts and bolts" section.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:53 am

sezze wrote:I found Hafele had them also , and they are about everywhere in Thailand . THere are many catalogues on their website . Look at the one
sliding and folding door fittings . I have just downloaded that one and it's inside .
Otherwhise , you can import it from China , which might be cheaper in fact . Shipping cost might be a bit more expensive but if you order multiple things , you end up a lot cheaper then from the shops in Thailand . However , import duties are somewhere unknown , i think that almost every product from China is free trade ( ASEAN ) . If somebody has an answer to that , i'm happy to hear .

China is not part of ASEAN and ASEAN is not free trade

FWIW I had to pay duty on a shipment from Singapore.

for goods originating within ASEAN, ASEAN members are to apply a tariff rate of 0 to 5 percent
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Shastadad » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Sometimewoodworker

Yeah, the Royal Thai Customs Department has a way of skirting around the "free trade" aspects of any of these agreements

Just look at what a mess wine imports are in this country. Despite cooperative agreements the Thais will do everything they can to increase revenues and I don't think that it is about protecting local Thai enterprises at all but to keep collecting money for imports

domsmith Home Depot has sliding doors from 48" to 72", see:

http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windows- ... G7bSa7F0kI
Shastadad

Next

Return to windows and doors