I always thought a kitchen was a place

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: I always thought a kitchen was a place

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:28 pm

well tes----es to you we bought a halogen cooker big glass jar :lol: and a leg of lamb from makro spuds carrots and peas from tesco i can live without the yorkshire pudding and was never keen on gravy so won,t miss that
Ps i will be selling a very cheap hardly used halogen cooker soon ! being as how i already have one in the container when it arrives packed next to the range cooker
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sirineou » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:38 pm

payebacs wrote:Okay but check out Small Thai Family House in Phayao by Dr Dave, he says "This means a semi-western style house (western-style bathroom, and an inside Thai kitchen with refrigerator, sink and built-in cooktop"
So, i can see that the airing of oils may be a strong reason for having a thai kitchen outside, which I didn't realise so thanks for that but, it still leaves me guessing as to what this thai kitchen is to begin with.

IMO a Thai kitchen would be a kitchen that best serves your Thai lifestyle,
Here in Thailand we all have different life style because we all incorporate to a certain degree some of our western lifestyle,
So our lifestyle is a hybrid, and depending how much of our western lifestyle we incorporate it depends how Thai we want to go.
As it was said by others earlier, most cooking in Thailand, at least in Isaan where most of my experience is, is done outside,
When I am in Thailand we rarely spend time inside the house, we are always hanging out in the front porch, when it is time to eat, the pestle comes out for the ever present somtom, the coal fired barbecues is fired up, and propane burner is used for other cooking. Then everything is washed in a slap sink in the back yard.The kitchen inside is almost never used, and in my Opinion a waste of space and money.
Now I am a pretty simple guy, give food and beer, and some work to keep my self busy and I am happy. :D
Other are more regimented, and have incorporated more of their western lifestyle in to their Thai daily routine. For them a different combination might work better.
So for as farangs there is no simple one size fits all Thai kitchen, For as it would be a compromise between or Thai wives needs and our own.
Well mostly our Thai wifes needs :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:56 pm

sirineou wrote:
payebacs wrote:Okay but check out Small Thai Family House in Phayao by Dr Dave, he says "This means a semi-western style house (western-style bathroom, and an inside Thai kitchen with refrigerator, sink and built-in cooktop"
So, i can see that the airing of oils may be a strong reason for having a thai kitchen outside, which I didn't realise so thanks for that but, it still leaves me guessing as to what this thai kitchen is to begin with.

Here in Thailand we all have different life style because we all incorporate to a certain degree some of our western lifestyle,
So our lifestyle is a hybrid, and depending how much of our western lifestyle we incorporate it depends how Thai we want to go.
As it was said by others earlier, most cooking in Thailand, at least in Isaan where most of my experience is, is done outside,
When I am in Thailand we rarely spend time inside the house, we are always hanging out in the front porch, when it is time to eat, the pestle comes out for the ever present somtom, the coal fired barbecues is fired up, and propane burner is used for other cooking. Then everything is washed in a slap sink in the back yard.The kitchen inside is almost never used, and in my Opinion a waste of space and money.
Now I am a pretty simple guy, give food and beer, and some work to keep my self busy and I am happy. :D
Other are more regimented, and have incorporated more of their western lifestyle in to their Thai daily routine. For them a different combination might work better.
So for as farangs there is no simple one size fits all Thai kitchen, For as it would be a compromise between or Thai wives needs and our own.

On the whole i agree with you but as far back as i can remember sunday= roast dinner
In chaiyaphum (MIL HOUSE) they have an indoor kitchen pretty much unused but my wife on the other hand has had 11 years to become partially westernised :lol: :lol: :lol: so she loves baking cakes and cooks a mean roast dinner when the facilities (cooker/oven) are available Lunchtimes are the same always in the garden front of house evenings tend to be inside i don,t like bugs and she prefers them cooked

I know a great pub in Pattaya soi six does a good carvery on a sunday :roll: even if you are not hungry there are local facilities to work up an appetite :mrgreen: if using such facilities its at your risk and don,t expect the wife to approve :wink:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:09 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote: I have an Otto that I use to make Welsh Rarebit (cheese on toast).

What a good idea .. I am on my own, having a hands-on day, and just fancied a quick snack ... I have some [decent] bread ... have the mature cheddar ... have the Lea & Perrins.

Say no more!

Quiet please, making me hungry.
Ians

Postby kalasin.dk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:18 pm

sirineou wrote:

I could not agree more. I still would like some pics of your outside Isaan kitchen, before we build our's.
kalasin.dk

Postby payebacs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:21 am

payebacs wrote:When I look at the thai word for kitchen - kruua, and for family krawp-kruua, and household kruua-ruuan, I wonder what exatly kruua means..... it seems to be quite a diverse room.

Okay well I have it from my girlfriend now that the kruua in kitchen (hong-kruua) is the same kruua as used in the word family (krawp-kruua) making a kitchen (in thai) something of a family room which, by western definition refers to the sitting room not kitchen at all so?
sirineou wrote:IMO a Thai kitchen would be a kitchen that best serves your Thai lifestyle........
..... our Thai wifes needs..

All very true. I think openplan is a good gamble.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Previous

Return to Life in Thailand