what kind of snake is it ?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

what kind of snake is it ?

Postby Sunpax » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:05 pm

early this morning..around 7...this little snake 80 cms long try to come inside the house !

my cats were in front...but he doesn't go away and try to bit them !!!

when i see that i run , take a piece of wood and try to chase him...but he try to jump on me very very agressive..i did not have a choice than to kill him !!!

i precise that i have alrady let 2 big snakes free from a nets where they was prisoners , and i had to cut the netz alround the snake to save them lives !!! i don't say here how much i was afraid...and how much was difficult to do it,without to be bits or kill the snake with the cisors ! i am very sad for him..here are some pictures

he was standing like a cobra..but has no "wings" on his neck ! i already gooogled but no find any snake like this...maybe a juvenil from some knows species
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sunpax

Re: what kind of snake is it ?

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 am

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Sunpax » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:25 pm

thanks Mgv12.... I have already look at this post before...and i know siam info for long time...it doesnt show the same snake...but this morning i 'v found this :http://thai-issan.com/leforum/index.php?topic=898.0....its look like "mine" and its a cobra ! so the one i kill is certainly a young one...

i had an experience one time in phuket with a young cobra...is was doing like this one !!! very agressive ! but was not an immediate danger for us..so he was escape safe

i 'v meet 2 king cobra (3 meters long snakes )in my Phuket garden and they were not so agressive than the young one :(

here where i live now , with my little montain behind ! i have also many snakes !!!

<link activated - mod>
Sunpax

Postby unclezillion » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 pm

non venomous Striped Kukri Snake

English name: Striped Kukri Snake (aka “Four-lined Kukri Snake”)
Scientific name: Oligodon taeniatus
Thai name: Ngu Ngod Thai

Description: To 45 cm long. This small snake gets its name from the light stripe that runs down its back, which is bordered on either side by a dark line. It also has a thin dark stripe on each side of its body. Background coloration is grey to brown. Underbelly is pink or orangish-red with black markings. There is a dark line that goes through both eyes and three dark blotches positioned on top of the head behind the eyes.

Similar Species: Banded Kukri Snake has transverse blotches rather than stripes and lacks the pattern of dark blotches on the head. .
Asian Water Snakes Homalopsinae have thicker bodies and broader heads.

Habitat: Lowland forest, where it will usually hide under stones, wood, or leaves. Can often be found in parks and gardens.

Contribution to the ecosystem: Helps control lizard populations in Bangkok, especially small skinks. Also eats frogs and the eggs of birds and other reptiles. Provides food for larger snakes and monitors.

Danger to humans: No danger to humans – is small and has no venom.

Conservation status and threats: No known conservation threats.

Interesting facts: As a defensive display the Striped Kukri Snake will raise and curl its tail to reveal the red coloration underneath. This may be an attempt to mimic the display of southeast Asian coral snakes.

Kukri snakes have teeth that are specially modified to slice open bird, lizard, turtle, and snake eggs, which form an important part of their diet.

References:
Thai Biodiversity: Oligodon taeniatus
The Reptile Database: Oligodon taeniatus
Thailand Office of Environmental Planning and Policy: A Checklist of Amphibians and Reptiles in Thailand
A Photographic Guide to Snakes and Other Reptiles of Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand
A Field Guide to the Reptiles of South-East Asia

that would be my guess
2 Comments

That would be my guess
unclezillion

Return to Life in Thailand