metal studs & Gypsum or Block walls?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: metal studs & Gypsum or Block walls?

Postby sirineou » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 am

fredlk wrote:
sirineou wrote: I am waiting to hear more about that from others who have tried drywall.

Like I said earlier, there are none.

Max used it on his walls, I wonder how it is holding up.
And you all have gypsum ceilings, do any of you have mold problems, and if not, how are the gypsum ceilings different than walls?
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:53 am

sirineou wrote:Max used it on his walls, I wonder how it is holding up.

His is glued to AAC block and he remigrated to Australia.
sirineou wrote:And you all have gypsum ceilings, do any of you have mold problems

I don't.
sirineou wrote: and if not, how are the gypsum ceilings different than walls?

The ceilings are 9 millimetre and walls 25. Maybe that's it? The ceilings have air moving on both sides. Maybe that's the clue?
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:18 am

^^^^
I would think that a thicker panel would be more resistant to moisture . and more exposure to humid air would cause more problems rather than less. But of course it is possible that the heat in the attic dries the gypsum.
come to think about it, In Florida we have drywall in our Garages that are not climate controlled,My house is now 12 years old and I never had a mold, or moisture problem in the garage.
sirineou

Postby geordie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:15 pm

If its any help i have just returned from Pattaya visiting a freind over from uk (he has thai wife/house in Pattaya)
a few years ago now he refurbished the house both floors and also extended it front and rear interestingly metal studding and plasterboard right through upstairs and down foil backed he has had no problems with it whatever in spite of two girls and a son living there the walls are fine everything was hidden behind the walls the only thing he should have done really was to add some f/glass insulation to reduce running cost of aircon further and also add some soundproofing but no issues with damp or mildew that i could see and he mentioned none the ground floor is without air con ?there was an interesting write up on here a while ago where a guy was giving a sort of tutorial when two and two were added it was the guy who did the work ??
he had joined the forum not realising i was a member :lol: :lol: so i did pull his leg a bit only because i had met him a couple of time,s previously it did take a while to drop in that i had prior knowledge of the work he had done ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: i will try and bump the topic
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:28 pm

geordie wrote: interestingly metal studding and plasterboard right through upstairs and down

What were his reasons for doing it that way? I'd be interested to hear what and why.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:55 pm

fredlk wrote:What were his reasons for doing it that way? I'd be interested to hear what and why.

I have my answer from the topic "dry lining":
geordie wrote:he knows nothing about building work whatever so he got in an ex pat drinking budddie to do the work and left his wife in charge

:roll: :shock: :roll:
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:23 pm

No you just think you have :lol: :lol: my mate bought the house and decided simply to refurb it adding hidden electrics ect : The easiest way was to dry line which because he is in a terrace helps reduce noise ?
Meanwhile i had met Tim who did the work ? in Pattaya where he was playing darts regularly at the same pub with my mate not untill the work was done did tim sign up to coolhouse :lol: i questioned the mate and reached the conclusion = same Tim hence me baiting Tim with various hints drinking buddy flourecent lights lost speaker cables playing darts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i even advised a couple of interested forum members :roll: of the situation then some pratt came along with a very rude comment totally out of the blue but if you look at his contributions before and after they were all pretty worthless
geordie

Postby Bergy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Hello Sirineou,

I was reading this post and to achieve what you perceive with details from N.America, metal framing and drywall is more of a cost compared to a double constructed block wall with plaster finishes.

I'm from Canada being in the construction trade for 30 yrs now and my first 10 years was metal framing, drywalling, and finishing, working from small homes, high-rise condo, to hospitals. I have worked with every available product available. I now work as a project manager in Bermuda building high end resorts to custom homes. I'm currently building a 10 mil home with a 18 month schedule, hoping to be finished the end of this year.

What we do here in Bermuda is somewhat the same as Thailand, block wall construction and drywall ceilings. Block walls here are for structure not in-fills, plus they are designed to withstand tropical storms and hurricanes. The biggest reason for not using metal studs and drywall for walls is basically the humidity and climate. Most a/c units are the split systems so there is minimal air flow due to no air returns, which will cause the board to rot and mould in corners and near the floors where airflow is minimal. There is excellent products out there that could be used but is not advisable. We use 5/8" mould resistant / water resistant drywall for our ceilings and works great but will not use on walls. You could use this product for walls in Thailand but now your dealing with the cost of shipping this product in.

I have checked all this out because with my background I would do all the work myself and save some labor but looking at cost of material, it will kill you, especially using the proper material for the climate.

All in all block is cheaper and you will have a low maintnace product.

Good luck with your build.

Bergy
Bergy

Postby MGV12 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Bergy wrote:Hello Sirineou,

I was reading this post and to achieve what you perceive with details from N.America, metal framing and drywall is more of a cost compared to a double constructed block wall with plaster finishes.

I'm from Canada being in the construction trade for 30 yrs now and my first 10 years was metal framing, drywalling, and finishing, working from small homes, high-rise condo, to hospitals. I have worked with every available product available. I now work as a project manager in Bermuda building high end resorts to custom homes. I'm currently building a 10 mil home with a 18 month schedule, hoping to be finished the end of this year.

What we do here in Bermuda is somewhat the same as Thailand, block wall construction and drywall ceilings. Block walls here are for structure not in-fills, plus they are designed to withstand tropical storms and hurricanes. The biggest reason for not using metal studs and drywall for walls is basically the humidity and climate. Most a/c units are the split systems so there is minimal air flow due to no air returns, which will cause the board to rot and mould in corners and near the floors where airflow is minimal. There is excellent products out there that could be used but is not advisable. We use 5/8" mould resistant / water resistant drywall for our ceilings and works great but will not use on walls. You could use this product for walls in Thailand but now your dealing with the cost of shipping this product in.

I have checked all this out because with my background I would do all the work myself and save some labor but looking at cost of material, it will kill you, especially using the proper material for the climate.

Bergy

Great to hear from someone with 'hands-on' experience in a similar environment. Very helpful post - thanks.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:36 am

Bergy wrote:Hello Sirineou,

Bergy

Hi Bergy, Thank you for that info
I too have being working in the construction industry pretty much most of my life, and am very comfortable with Framing (metal and wood) I know wood framing is not an option, and I am not sure if metal and drywall is an option for Thailand also, that is why I started this Thread.
We use metal and drywall in Florida where the climate is similar to Thailand with no problems,But as it was mentioned by other in FL we have central A/C. I do have Drywall in by garage in FL where there is no climate control with no problems.But I guess in a garage there is more air circulation.
I like to look a little more in to this option, but I also share the humidity mold problem concern.
In My Youth I used to work for Holland American Cruises and spend a considerable amount of time in Bermuda. I use to have a motorbike, and would go to Elbow Beach, Love it there. :D
sirineou

Postby Bergy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:28 am

Hi Bergy, Thank you for that info
I too have being working in the construction industry pretty much most of my life, and am very comfortable with Framing (metal and wood) I know wood framing is not an option, and I am not sure if metal and drywall is an option for Thailand also, that is why I started this Thread.
We use metal and drywall in Florida where the climate is similar to Thailand with no problems,But as it was mentioned by other in FL we have central A/C. I do have Drywall in by garage in FL where there is no climate control with no problems.But I guess in a garage there is more air circulation.
I like to look a little more in to this option, but I also share the humidity mold problem concern.
In My Youth I used to work for Holland American Cruises and spend a considerable amount of time in Bermuda. I use to have a motorbike, and would go to Elbow Beach, Love it there

Small world. I built the cottages at Elbow Beach about 6 yrs back now. Nice place and goodnight life.
Too bad that in Bermuda the largest size motorcycle is 150cc and the max speed is 35 km/h but with these bikes we are lucky to get 70 km/h. LOL.
Can't wait to ride a real bike again !
Bergy

Postby geordie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:59 am

In good old England we have problems with mould mildew the same as anywhere usually speaking old houses who add double glazing create problems no airflow Armed with that knowledge its not a dificult matter to allow for air circulation around the house ? vents that will allow air movement or simply opening the window and doors of rooms not used will allow a change of air standing furniture against the wall with no airflow can also cause similar problems even on block walls especially on older houses with solid walls (no cavity) never seen a mould mildew problem on an internal wall other than on bathrooms lacking windows No disrespect to tennants the world over but they are the main cause through stupidity argueing that the bathroom fan failed six months ago why should they repair it ? or why should they open doors windowns in winter and allow heat to escape ? New building regs in Uk now pressure test the houses to see if they are properly sealed ? I would love to meet the halfwit that thought that one up assuring that there will be a host of future problems ?
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Heat-Recovery-diagram.jpeg
geordie sealed houses are the future as energy prices world wide rise.

In Canada I put one of these in my last house. Worked a charm.

http://www.electrumenergy.co.uk/p/heat- ... ation.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Bergy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:15 pm

BKKBILL wrote:

I had the same on the home I built in Canada in 2000. The problem we faced with a completely sealed house was the dead air. The product I had installed was from "Lifes Breath" and it was hooked up to the furnace and would constantly suck air out of the bathrooms and kitchen, exhaust it out , and fresh air would be pushed through the house. They found that any germs would be exhausted out and would be safer air to breath,and it worked
A code requirement that they also enforced starting around 2000 for all homes with a second floor was upstairs bathroom fans must be hooked up to a 3-way switch, one being in the bathroom itself and the other on the floor below usually at the bottom of the stairs. This was thought to be a better control of leaving the fan on when done a shower, change, and whatever and on the trip down the stairs shut it off which in theory the steam would be dissipated. Most people don't understand that concept so the lower switch is never used.
Bergy

Postby geordie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 pm

BKKBILL wrote:

Makes sense but i beleive your winters are a bit more severe ? I have seen stuff like this in uk but normally its a more basic route hit and miss vents are now a requirement on all double glazed windows to allow rooms to breath of course in the days of coal fires before central heating the fire would draw air from every oriface causing plenty of ventilation in the form of draughts through the floors through the windows through the doors
even through the walls (a prefab) amazingly built after the war with a twenty five year life expectancy still standing concrete hung on steel frames (box metal)
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to cement, concrete and mortar