metal studs & Gypsum or Block walls?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

metal studs & Gypsum or Block walls?

Postby sirineou » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:52 pm

I have being considering metal studs & Gypsum interior walls wot when i do my build this spring, and when i mentioned the idea to the people I am helping with their home design, they asked my if it was cheaper than block.
I am not in Thailand right now to check on prices, and I cant remember what they were when I looked last spring when I was there. A case of early set dementia :D
So the question is:
Does any one in this forum know or have easy access to information on prices for:
4'X8' and or 4'X 10' gypsum panels (don't know what the thicknesses are there, probably 5/8 )
Track ( will need two for each section , top and bottom track)
Studs 4"X 10' or similar.
and finally a cost comparison for an 8 ft( 2.4 m) section of wall
for that I will need 2 Tracks (top and bottom),
6 studs
and 4 panels of 4'x10' gypsum, (two for one side and two for the other side)

Thank you all in advance. :)
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Re: metal studs & Gypsum or Block walls?

Postby fredlk » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:40 am

sirineou wrote: metal studs & Gypsum interior walls

It's often been discussed but as far as I know never been executed on coolthaihouse. Max used gypsum glued to AAC block but he's the only one.
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 am

fredlk wrote:
sirineou wrote: metal studs & Gypsum interior walls

It's often been discussed but as far as I know never been executed on coolthaihouse. Max used gypsum glued to AAC block but he's the only one.

I see the metal studs for sale at the Home super stores, and I see the gypsum board, so I assume some one must be using them.
I know thy use them for ceilings, in residential , construction,(and they are very good at it), but i don't think they use the 4 inch metal studs that I see for sale for ceilings
. I think Thais stay with block or brick for interior walls because that's what they are used to.Like every one else they are reluctant to leave their comfort zone.
We use them here if Florida ( a climate very similar to Thailand, with no problems, so I don't see why it should be a problem in Thailand.
sirineou

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:46 am

Gypsum boards are very sensitive to high humid zones...even you take only the better ones for wet areas like bathrooms.
The comparison with Florida may not work 100%....I believe in Florida the houses are 99.9% fitted with AC what changes the whole situation.
As I'm informed in Florida the houses must have rigid outer walls (cement blocks or similar) and only the inner walls are done in gypsum..must have something to do with the hurricane thing.

Most of the builds I see here try to avoid the usage of AC or at least minimize it.

I saw already constructions in LOS where they used gypsum outside on the roof overhangs, ...but mostly this ends with mold!

I also believe if you do the dry wall construction rigid then the costs will be higher than standard blocks and render.
A good drywall is not only 2 layers of gypsum!
Usually a wood board (pressed wood chip board) is the base with 2 layers of gypsum on top....in between a foil (vapor barrier).
This way you don't need to worry if you later want to install a rack or hang up a picture on the wall.
Such a construction I believe is technical fine but I would never use it in LOS. Yes, in an apartment block for the inner walls, but not for a house.
Maseratimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:11 am

The sheets you get here are 120x240 and the ones used on the ceiling at my place were foil backed board 9mm so more like 3/8”

Here is a Thai site you could contact for more info.

http://www.thaigypsum.com/plasterboard_en.html

and the framing site

http://www.thaigypsum.com/framing_en.html

Think you will find this is commercial stuff here.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:Gypsum boards are very sensitive to high humid zones...even you take only the better ones for wet areas like bathrooms.
The comparison with Florida may not work 100%....I believe in Florida the houses are 99.9% fitted with AC what changes the whole situation.
As I'm informed in Florida the houses must have rigid outer walls (cement blocks or similar) and only the inner walls are done in gypsum..must have something to do with the hurricane thing.

Most of the builds I see here try to avoid the usage of AC or at least minimize it.

I saw already constructions in LOS where they used gypsum outside on the roof overhangs, ...but mostly this ends with mold!

I also believe if you do the dry wall construction rigid then the costs will be higher than standard blocks and render.
A good drywall is not only 2 layers of gypsum!

Usually a wood board (pressed wood chip board) is the base with 2 layers of gypsum on top....in between a foil (vapor barrier).
This way you don't need to worry if you later want to install a rack or hang up a picture on the wall.
Such a construction I believe is technical fine but I would never use it in LOS. Yes, in an apartment block for the inner walls, but not for a house.

I agree about wet areas such as bathrooms , would better be constructed out of block.
But as far as the rest of the house.....
Don't they construct drop ceilings out of gypsum board in Thailand? Are they having humidity problem with those?
I have never seen Drywall construction with two layers of Gypsum board. In commercial buildings in NY we use 1' thick drywall for hallways, but never double panels.Nor have I ever seen OSB (oriented strand board) sandwiched in the wall, OSB in the walls in Thailand will also present a termite problem. The drywall is fine for hanging picture(I am looking at several of then now) for heavier objects the studs are used for support, and there are stud construction techniques to deal with those issues.
The only issue that might have some merit is the issue of humidity, On that I need a little more research.
In Thailand In the apartment buildings where they use drywall construction, how do they deal with the humidity issue? do they have central a/c ?
In homes where they use gypsum for the ceilings, do they have a mold problem in the ceilings?
I would never use gypsum board out side, in Thailand or anywhere else,there are other products for this, Sera wood is one of them.
I wonder How the glued on gypsum board in Max's build is holding up.
I have no dog in this race, only exploring the option. If any one finds them selves in a Home pro or similar store, if they could provide me with prices for Metal studs and Gypsum board ,it would be highly appreciated.

PS: Bill thank you for those links, I saved them in my favorites. :)
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:10 pm

sirineou wrote:In Thailand In the apartment buildings where they use drywall construction, ...

Which apartment buildings would that be? In the many many buildings I've visited I have never seen it used.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:10 pm

sirineou,
As far as the gypsum for the ceilings in bathrooms in Thailand is concerned it is a special type that is mold proof. When they did my house they did the ceilings in the bedrooms, living room and dining room first, then they changed to a special gypsum for the pool, bathrooms and kitchen. I believe it has silver foil in it amongst other things and they used a different joining agent. Unfortunately it was during the flood aftermath (clean-up, replace), when the ceiling crew came in and I still couldn't get out there except by travelling for miles, hence the bare minimum of photos after the fact on my build.
Roger Ramjet

Postby sirineou » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm

fredlk wrote:
sirineou wrote:In Thailand In the apartment buildings where they use drywall construction, ...

Which apartment buildings would that be? In the many many buildings I've visited I have never seen it used.

MaseratiMartin mentioned Apartment buildings it in his reply.
But from the Thai Gypsum link that MGV send me , I assume they must be using them somewhere. are the areas where they use them all climate control?
Roger mentioned a mold proof drywall panel for his ceiling, can such panel be used for walls?
Again we are exploring the options,
unless you all rather talk about the great "cheese" controversy, or "how well your brain function" :lol:
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 pm

sirineou wrote:Roger mentioned a mold proof drywall panel for his ceiling

They used it in my house too, it's green in colour.
SDC13536_resize.JPG
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:43 pm

fredlk wrote:
sirineou wrote:Roger mentioned a mold proof drywall panel for his ceiling

They used it in my house too, it's green in colour.
SDC13536_resize.JPG

That's great Fredlk, thak's for that.
in the picture I see 9mm is it because that's what was in the picture , or do they use 9mm on ceilings?
if 9 mm is used for ceilings ,I would assume it is because of the weight, , But for walls I would say we would need at least 25 mm (1/2")
sirineou

Postby Shastadad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:55 pm

When I wanted to have my interior walls finished using the drywall method (with metal "studs" instead of 2 X 4's) I was told that it was not practical here in Thailand because the workmen were not used to correctly "taping" the sheets to provide a seamless wall

But like so many things , no one could explain how they were competent enough to "tape" ceilings but could not be trusted to do walls :roll:

I wanted it done so that wall switches, electric outlets and speaker wires could easily be fitted but the builder wanted to "channel" them into the cement walls instead :(

electrics.JPG

There is a thread here do it my way or do it the Thai way? that pretty well covers that aspect of building here :mrgreen:
Shastadad

Postby fredlk » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:57 pm

sirineou wrote:in the picture I see 9mm is it because that's what was in the picture , or do they use 9mm on ceilings?

That is a photo of what arrived here on site and as it was only used for ceilings here, I suppose it's what they use for ceilings.
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Shastadad wrote:When I wanted to have my interior walls finished using the drywall method (with metal "studs" instead of 2 X 4's) I was told that it was not practical here in Thailand because the workmen were not used to correctly "taping" the sheets to provide a seamless wall

But like so many things , no one could explain how they were competent enough to "tape" ceilings but could not be trusted to do walls :roll:

I wanted it done so that wall switches, electric outlets and speaker wires could easily be fitted but the builder wanted to "channel" them into the cement walls instead :(
:

I think is more of a case of not wanting to do anything out of their comfort zone. The taping is the least of my concern, if it comes to where I have a problem with getting people to do the taping. I can always do it my self.
Part of the reason why I find studs and drywall attractive is also because I can easily at my leisure run the electric my self, and installing doors is a breeze. And I like the fact that I have easy access to electrical and plumbing if nee be.
I am still concerned about the humidity mold problem, so I am waiting to hear more about that from others who have tried drywall.
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:10 am

sirineou wrote: I am waiting to hear more about that from others who have tried drywall.

Like I said earlier, there are none.
fredlk

Next

Return to cement, concrete and mortar