Round window possible?

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Round window possible?

Postby saorsa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:13 am

jazzman wrote:Aluminium window/door manufacturers can make round windows if they have the special bending machine that bends the aluminium without distorting the profile. There's not a lot of call for aluminium round windows or window/doors with rounded tops, so many firms won't have invested in the equipment. Shop around. If you're in Undon Thani province, there's one in Ban Phue. In Khon Kaen, there are a couple along Thanon Mitraphap and Thanon Maliwan.


I'm in Bangkok. I will ask around when I get home.
saorsa
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Round window possible?

Postby geordie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:16 am

saorsa wrote:
jazzman wrote:Aluminium window/door manufacturers can make round windows if they have the special bending machine that bends the aluminium without distorting the profile. There's not a lot of call for aluminium round windows or window/doors with rounded tops, so many firms won't have invested in the equipment. Shop around. If you're in Undon Thani province, there's one in Ban Phue. In Khon Kaen, there are a couple along Thanon Mitraphap and Thanon Maliwan.


I'm in Bangkok. I will ask around when I get home.


Ask around in BKK you might have more luck
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Round window possible?

Postby saorsa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:24 pm

geordie wrote:
saorsa wrote:
I'm in Bangkok. I will ask around when I get home.


Ask around in BKK you might have more luck


That's what i meant...
saorsa
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Round window possible?

Postby geordie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:32 pm

you could always cheat and make it an octagon similer effect without the grief
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Round window possible?

Postby saorsa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 pm

geordie wrote:you could always cheat and make it an octagon similer effect without the grief


Hmm, not sure about that...it is a 6m wall, so I also thought about a series of complimentary triangles with 6" gap between, but I think that would be really hard to achieve. options, options.... :)
saorsa
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Round window possible?

Postby cooked » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 am

Just a thought... maybe using an ox cart wheel rim?
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: BuriramThailand since August 2012

Re: Round window possible?

Postby Shastadad » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 pm

I had one in a house I built in the US. Got a salvaged ships porthole and used that
Shastadad
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Round window possible?

Postby pipoz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

saorsa wrote:When I was surfing looking for ideas, I saw a really cool house which had a round window. I want one for my build, is it possible to buy a round window in Thailand?


Consider building your own circular frame as a laminated timber frame.

Buy some decent quality marine grade ply sheeting, 8 -10mm thick, cut it into strips and bend it to your own radius, one strip at a time, laminated to the other (with a timber laminating glue) clamped as you go. You can always shape or rout the frame edges later, to your desired profile

pipoz
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Previous

Return to windows and doors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests