Round window possible?

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Round window possible?

Postby saorsa » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:55 pm

When I was surfing looking for ideas, I saw a really cool house which had a round window. I want one for my build, is it possible to buy a round window in Thailand?
saorsa

Re: Round window possible?

Postby fredlk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:00 pm

saorsa wrote:When I was surfing looking for ideas, I saw a really cool house which had a round window. I want one for my build, is it possible to buy a round window in Thailand?

Not many windows are bought here and most are made to measure on site or for your specific build.
fredlk

Postby saorsa » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:19 pm

fredlk wrote:Not many windows are bought here and most are made to measure on site or for your specific build.

Ok, will have to ask the architect/builder when I get home from this trip offshore.
saorsa

Postby geordie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Simply order it from you local window shop although it will likely have to be wood but not difficult they do have bow top doors so someone knows how to steam and bend wood
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby saorsa » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:32 pm

geordie wrote:Simply order it from you local window shop although it will likely have to be wood but not difficult they do have bow top doors so someone knows how to steam and bend wood

Was planning on aluminium windows all round...not sure if I want to have 1 window in wood and rest alu....mind you, I will be having 1 window round and rest square, so maybe it won't look out of place...will have a think about it. Still got 2.5wks left here in Kazakhstan before I can do much about anything anyway.
saorsa

Postby geordie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:51 pm

its not going to be an easy task making it out of aluminium the profile will distort to hell as they try to form it : maybe steel would be a better answer malleble enough to shape and profile then paint or powder coat it cheap enough that you could simply have it cut out of sheet material then welded together ? power coatong or galvanising is a must though or for sure the high quality paint will fail and it will rust
The window/house you saw what material had they used on theirs ? as i admit more often than not i have seen them with wood only
geordie

Postby saorsa » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Can't tell for sure...these are the pics I found.

round window.JPG
round-bookcase-2.jpg
saorsa

Postby geordie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:53 pm

I am guessing here but looks like metal ? steel angle formed on the outside and wood for the bookcase on the inside if you go to tools and zoom you can get a better idea the wood is quite probably laminated plywood several sheets glued then veneered to make the bookcase the steel could be formed by your local iron man who knocks up bars security grills

Nice window i can see the appeal
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:56 pm

saorsa,
I have to talk to my aluminum window man tomorrow and I'll get my wife to ask him.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:saorsa,
I have to talk to my aluminum window man tomorrow and I'll get my wife to ask him.

Print a picture saves explaining :wink: :wink:
geordie

Postby sirineou » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:34 pm

I have round aluminum windows in my Florida home ( actually they are square with a semicircle on top, so I don't see why they would not be able to make them in Thailand.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby saorsa » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:saorsa,

Nice one, thanks Roger
saorsa

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Have to agree with geordie and say wood.

Here is the site of picture showing different angles and an outside view.

http://www.contemporist.com/2012/02/15/ ... -galeazzo/
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby saorsa » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm dubious about the book case for my window, but I think it would look good with a 20cm window sill on the inside. I'm planning to build external walls with a double skin of superblock and cavity in between which fits in with my vision for it.
saorsa

Postby jazzman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Aluminium window/door manufacturers can make round windows if they have the special bending machine that bends the aluminium without distorting the profile. There's not a lot of call for aluminium round windows or window/doors with rounded tops, so many firms won't have invested in the equipment. Shop around. If you're in Undon Thani province, there's one in Ban Phue. In Khon Kaen, there are a couple along Thanon Mitraphap and Thanon Maliwan.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Next

Return to windows and doors