where to place air conditioning

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

where to place air conditioning

Postby cooked » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Is there an ideal place for an A/C unit? As our house is at the moment you would say on the wall opposite from our bed. However I will be doubling the size of the house next year so this leaves me with the spaces above the windows ( about 45 cm).
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Re: where to place air conditioning

Postby pattayapope » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:08 pm

I would say on an outside wall if it is a retrofit as burying the pipes can be messy, I have some on outside walls and some on inner walls but these were installed during the build so the piping was fitted months before the actual AC units. Above the bed has advantages that it will not blow directly at you when you are sleeping but more difficult to service unless the bed is easy to move. A lot depends on how you plan to furnish the room later but I would try and locate it in the center of the wall so distribution of cold air is even, height I don't think is a major problem but you would need a few inches above for access for painting ect and to allow air to be drawn in to the blower.
pattayapope

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Cooked,
For people with respiratory problems it is not recommended that the air blow directly on them, so I would suggest over the bed head as PP suggested.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Cooked,
For people with respiratory problems it is not recommended that the air blow directly on them, so I would suggest over the bed head as PP suggested.

I agree on that also do not use overnight on dehumidfy it rips the hell out of your breathing for a day or two :mrgreen: I have ashma :( and have done it accidentally twice
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Cooked,

Although RR's statement is very true, I would say that the air blow directly on them, is not healthy for any one. I would place the A/C unit as high as possible because we all know cold is heavier than hot air, and try to place it in a location that would best circulate the air around the room with our blowing directly on you. I guess that's where the air direction vents come in to play also.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MRL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Agree with the other poster that said as high up the wall as possible. Also consider a location that will result in the shortest possible run to the outdoor unit, as the longer the chemical pipes, the greater the efficiency loss.

If you haven't already pre-wired/plumbed for A/C during construction, installing the A/C on an outside wall will mean you won't need exposed pipes inside the house (the waste water pipes from the indoor unit must run downhill).
MRL

Return to cooling systems