Attic Insulation

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Attic Insulation

Postby Sunpax » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Green Arnold do you have any price for this 2 products ?

Is it the same product to paint the roof and the walls ?
Sunpax

Postby arranp » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 am

Hello Fritz,

My apologies, I was not able to post to your other topic.

Are you still considering to rent your house in Nakhon Sawan, I am looking to rent for a 6 month period.

Regards
Arran.
arranpritchard@yahoo.co.uk
arranp

Postby Makmak456 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:29 pm

My plan is 2 fold, composite CPAC roof tile, mid-price, light grey. Only price so far is 19B a tile and I need about 1200 (swag) as roof pitch is not set yet, or overhang. Followed by the spray PU foam on the underside of the roof. And while they are there also spray the 2nd story ceiling, of the aircon-ed area. Plus all area that have aircon will be dbl block walls.
We have all the usual country/temple noises, 0500 am loudspeakers and cocks crowing, dogs, etc....So it is sound insulation too.

Over-kill ????????????????
Makmak456

Postby geordie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 am

Makmak456 wrote:My plan is 2 fold, composite CPAC roof tile, mid-price, light grey. Only price so far is 19B a tile and I need about 1200 (swag) as roof pitch is not set yet, or overhang. Followed by the spray PU foam on the underside of the roof. And while they are there also spray the 2nd story ceiling, of the aircon-ed area. Plus all area that have aircon will be dbl block walls.
We have all the usual country/temple noises, 0500 am loudspeakers and cocks crowing, dogs, etc....So it is sound insulation too.

Over-kill ????????????????

I would be inclined towards using fglass wool or similar on the ceilings ?? if you ever need maintainance the sprayed foam will make it a major event :mrgreen: I think the wool should have around the same value anyway
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Makmak456 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:05 am

Thanks for the in-put Gordie, as I had not considered the "Repair" aspect.
Thanks
Mark
Just bored silly in Jomtien, until about 8 Aug when it is time to return to the Ban
Makmak456

Postby geordie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Makmak456 wrote:Thanks for the in-put Gordie, as I had not considered the "Repair" aspect.
Thanks
Mark
Just bored silly in Jomtien, until about 8 Aug when it is time to return to the Ban

Found at DO HOME Rangsit plasterboard sheets with polystyrene bonded to it 50mm thick life has become bearable 8) 8) 8) line your walls with this stuff the room will cool in minuites you are cooling the air only rather than fighting against what come,s through the walls add to that you get a dry lined smooth wall used it on a mate,s summerhouse in uk even in winter its comfortable in there 5x4x2,7mtrs warms up in 10 mins using a 3kw heater so arguably should cool as quickly
The boards are around £20 each i will return with a camera :roll:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 pm

geordie wrote:Found at DO HOME Rangsit plasterboard sheets with polystyrene bonded to it 50mm thick life has become bearable 8) 8) 8) line your walls with this stuff the room will cool in minuites you are cooling the air only rather than fighting against what come,s through the walls add to that you get a dry lined smooth wall used it on a mate,s summerhouse in uk even in winter its comfortable in there 5x4x2,7mtrs warms up in 10 mins using a 3kw heater so arguably should cool as quickly
The boards are around £20 each i will return with a camera :roll:

I think these are the ones.
Plasterboard + insulation.jpg

IMG_1395PB.jpg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby thaicbr » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Any one seen this type of board any where else?
Thanks Al
thaicbr

Postby sirineou » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:33 pm

I remember seeing this type of board at the large home improvement outlets in Khon kaen and thinking that it would be an expensive way to insulate walls. I dont have any experience with this type of board so my opinion is just speculation.
at 880 baht per 4x8 ft panel it sound to me as an expensive way to line the walls.
4x8=32 880/32=27.5 baht per square ft a wall 10x10 ft will cost 2750 bht just in board
that sounds expensive to me what does every body else think?
I wonder what the R values of such board is?
When I inquire about drywall use in Thailand I was causation against it, do to the high Humidity in Thailand and the potential for mold. I wonder how this applies to this type of board.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Re: Attic Insulation --> Stax Cool costs

Postby claynlr » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:38 am

juehoe wrote:
Fritz wrote:Any ideas on prices ranges for rolls of 0.6X4.00 m?
Fritz

Seen in Homepro. Cost for 1 roll. Figures in brackets show current promotion:

R21 (75 mm) THB 350 (295)
    R27 (75 mm) THB 450 (325)
    R37 (150 mm) THB 650 (425)

In the US, a 3-1/2" (90mm) batt is either R-11 or R-13...a 5-1/2" (140mm) is R-19. Now this is a craft paper faced batt (one side) not foil. So, above insulation is foil 2 sides? And the foil doubles the R value? Seems a stretch but have not researched, just wondering off the top of my head.
claynlr

Postby claynlr » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:53 am

Maseratimartin wrote:Ok, now a crazy idea but maybe also a very good idea:

After installing the ceiling let the guys come and spray the foam insulation on top of the ceiling?!

That would create an airtight insulation...strengthen the ceiling and there no animals will move in.

Do two layers with mesh between and you can walk on your ceiling...

:?

They are doing this on the hi-end homes in Southern US. Spraying foam right on the top side of the sheetrock and inside of the outer wall sheathing. Then blown celulose in ceiling and sprayed celulose to fill up the wall cavity between studs.
claynlr

Postby rubik101 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 pm

For ventilation you could try a small dormer type construction with an electric fan mounted vertically powered by an adjacent solar panel mounted on the roof. The fan will run whenever the sun shines, venting the roof space. No switches needed.
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby NIKKI5 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:19 am

rubik101 wrote:For ventilation you could try a small dormer type construction with an electric fan mounted vertically powered by an adjacent solar panel mounted on the roof. The fan will run whenever the sun shines, venting the roof space. No switches needed.

I have been thinking same idea using a solar panel..who run a fan but whats the smart solutions for creating a way for air to get in and out without creating other problems? I was thinking of a steel pipe/hat on top of roofing for hot ear to get out

Nikki
NIKKI5

Previous

Return to cooling systems